Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   gas tank removal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/gas-tank-removal-54867.html)

wrangler man 07-08-2010 11:04 PM

gas tank removal

93 wrangler...I'm trying to get the tank out. should be easy but it ain't. somthing is hanging up on the top, fuel line, and fuel neck are disconnected looking for a step by step. I know I am missing somthing, please help

markstibbyspot 07-09-2010 12:09 AM

anyone with a diy link for the yj?

have you disconnected your evap hose?

nyvulcanman 07-09-2010 01:55 AM

there is a vent line and elec plug for for fuel pump and gauge on the top also

flatline 07-09-2010 11:03 AM

If you remove the exhaust hanger next to the gas tank it will let you shift the tank enough to that side to clear the two plastic pieces that the hoses go to. those two things stick out just enough to catch on the frame.

chensley 07-09-2010 12:08 PM

This is from the book.

1.Disconnect Negative battery cable (gotta be safe!)
2.Relieve the fuel system pressure
3.Remove the fuel filler cap and train the fuel tank
4.Raise and support the vehicle
5.Disconnect fuel fill and vent hoses from filler neck
6.Label and disconnect all other fuel supply and return hoses attached to the tank
7.Place a floor jack under the fuel tank
!!Do not loosen the fuel tank strap nuts. The fuel tank and skid plate are removed as a unit after loosening the skid plate/fuel tank assembly mounting nuts.!!
8.Remove the skid plate/fuel tank assembly mounting nuts.
9.Lower the skid plate/fuel tank assembly SLIGHTLY and detach the guage sender wire.
10.Lower tank from the vehicle. Unfasten the tank strap nuts to remove the skid plate.

jolly 01-10-2011 12:56 PM

Having a heck of a time removing the nuts for skid plate and tank removal. Any suggestions?

YJPunisher213 01-10-2011 04:37 PM

Impact

drbandkgb 01-10-2011 04:45 PM

I just changed mine out on my 1990 YJ.. 2 lines from the filler 1 line evap and the. And the top plug.. you may have 2 straps but mine had 1..

Matcheen 01-10-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chensley (Post 682629)
3.Remove the fuel filler cap and train the fuel tank.

Can you train it to do backflips...lol, J/K sorry. Thought it was funny:punk:

rd-wrangler 02-25-2011 12:32 PM

hey not to Hi-jack your thread but im curious if there is an easy way to tell just by looking at the tank/skid plate if it is a 15 gallon or 20 gallon? are they the same size tank? i have already read about the whole sending unit thing that chrysler did. im just wondering because i will need a new skid plate soon and if they are all the same size tank then it wont matter if i get a '15 gallon' or '20 gallon' skid plate...

Garyk 02-25-2011 01:22 PM

Depending on which bolts you undid the skid plate drops with the tank, like someone else said, you should disconnect the exhaust hanger so you can move the tank to one side to clear the frame on the drivers side. I soaked the nuts and bolts with WD-40 a few days before I dropped mine, came right down. The lines should be long enough to drop it a foot or so so you can disconnect the fuel lines etc.

In answer to rd-wrangler, you gotta drop the tank.

Tyewilly 02-25-2011 02:35 PM

@rd-wrangler
The later model year yj's (91-up I think) have the same tank and skid for 15 and 20 gal. tanks. The 15 gal. tanks just have an extension on the vent tube to limit capacity and a different sending unit.