Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Replace Windshield myself? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/replace-windshield-myself-54944.html)

fonecop1 07-09-2010 10:26 PM

Replace Windshield myself?
 
I need a windshield, should I replace it myself? Are there any pointers/do's/don'ts for the guy that wants to do it himself?
Thx,
Bob

pakman55 07-09-2010 10:26 PM

do call 1-800-50-GIANT

s3nt3nc3d 07-09-2010 10:34 PM

I was curious of this myself.... with any other vehicle, I'd say leave it to a professional, but with as small and simple a TJ windshield is, I wondered if removal of the old windshield and installation of the new one would be simple.

fonecop1 07-09-2010 10:42 PM

It really doesn't look too tough to me. There is a pretty limber lip of the seal on the inside and the sealer behind it is not at all hard, probably because the windshield hasn't been in there very long. Seems like you would put the seal on the new windshield and then add some sealer to the opening and just work around getting the inside lip in place. I can get the windshield for $88 but they want $172 if they replace it too.

pakman55 07-09-2010 10:44 PM

my auto insurance covers 3 broken windshields a year...you could look into that.

fonecop1 07-09-2010 10:48 PM

I just bought the jeep and don't have it on the road yet or insurance, I was planning to just put liability insurance on it since I bought it so cheap. At the rate that guys are replacing windshields I may want to look into comprehensive insurance!

Geoff@Bestop 07-09-2010 10:59 PM

I replaced two TJ windshields in June (company cars). $250 each. Don't know what the glass cost would be.

CubbieBlue 07-09-2010 11:02 PM

As cheap as it is to have them installed professionally, just have someone else do it right.

pokey 07-09-2010 11:16 PM

$172 sounds high. I just had my F150 windshield replaced for $140 done at my place. 2 other quotes were in that range. I wouldn't want to try and do it. If something goes wrong you're doubly screwed.

Speaking of windshields, I'm sure the one in my jeep is a replacement and a cheesy one at that. When you look at it from the outside at an angle it looks very wavy or distorted like the glass isn't perfectly flat. I'm sure it has to meet some standards and when you're looking through it driving at things in the distance everything looks fine. I'm not sure if that's normal or not ?

distortedtj 07-09-2010 11:30 PM

$120 installed with warrenty. They can do it. I didn't mind doing it myself and isn't a hard job but the price of the glass is sometimes more than paying to have it done.

Have you got any quotes for your area yet?

Darth Vader 07-09-2010 11:54 PM

I've been tempted to install the glass myself as well. The glass alone is 100 bucks and I want to save every penny I possibly can, for the rest of the repairs I need to do. How much have you guys who've had windshields installed paid for labor?

distortedtj 07-10-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vader (Post 683371)
I've been tempted to install the glass myself as well. The glass alone is 100 bucks and I want to save every penny I possibly can, for the rest of the repairs I need to do. How much have you guys who've had windshields installed paid for labor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 683349)
$120 installed with warrenty.

That's with the glass and install.

baja 07-10-2010 12:07 AM

Do not take the inside seal out.Cut the outer seal,pull it away from glass,cut between glass and adhesive-remove glass.Shave the old adhesive flat but do not expose metal.Use an activator to soften old adhesive,put an 1/8 to a quarter inch bead of new adhesive over old.The new windshield will come with new rubber,center and seat glass and boot.Done.The new adhesive will be a bitch to apply,better to lay tube out in the sun while you remove old glass,that adhesive is thick.The professionals use a heat system and air to apply.My glass was 100 bucks with boot,plus adhesive.

fonecop1 07-10-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 683349)
$120 installed with warrenty. They can do it. I didn't mind doing it myself and isn't a hard job but the price of the glass is sometimes more than paying to have it done.

Have you got any quotes for your area yet?

The quote was $172 installed

fonecop1 07-10-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 683384)
Do not take the inside seal out.Cut the outer seal,pull it away from glass,cut between glass and adhesive-remove glass.Shave the old adhesive flat but do not expose metal.Use an activator to soften old adhesive,put an 1/8 to a quarter inch bead of new adhesive over old.The new windshield will come with new rubber,center and seat glass and boot.Done.The new adhesive will be a bitch to apply,better to lay tube out in the sun while you remove old glass,that adhesive is thick.The professionals use a heat system and air to apply.My glass was 100 bucks with boot,plus adhesive.

So the inside seal is separate from the outside seal?

skeeter 07-10-2010 06:19 PM

Yes.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/93-w...eld-23506.html

It's actually harder to do than a regular vehicle, but not too bad.

fonecop1 07-21-2010 09:47 PM

I replaced the windshield tonight. I paid $76 for the glass and $11.50 for a tube of urethane sealer and was able to save my seals. Oh and I paid $20 for a tool to cut the old windshield out with.

JeepFrogger 07-21-2010 10:06 PM

Nice going!...saved plus credited to u :punk: feels gr8 huh? :wavey:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.