Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fender light upgrades? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fender-light-upgrades-54962.html)

JeepTech 07-10-2010 10:25 AM

Fender light upgrades?

Hi I am a newbie to this site but not to Jeeps. I just purchased a 98 TJ Sport and I am looking to install JK or CJ front turn signals in my TJ grille. I am trying to find a light housing to replace my factory fender mounted turn signal housings. Does anyone here know of a direct install driving or fog lamp that could be used? Or any pics of modified stock fenders to eliminate the opening for the factory housing? Any suggestions are appreciated I have to believe that somebody has done this upgrade before with factory fenders, all I can find is tube or flattie fenders. Thanks in advance.

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2010 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a JK turn signal enclosure obtained from www.rockauto.com/ for mine. It has the CJ look which I wanted but even better, it accepts the stock TJ bulb enclosure without modification. A 3 1/8" hole saw and you're done. I did this mod while I was installing the MCE flattie fenders so I won't be any help so far as modifying the OE fenders go.

If you want to do this mod, let me know and I'll give you the inside scoop on how to lock them onto the grill without any additional hardware, silicone, etc. which allows their easy removal for bulb replacement.

JeepTech 07-10-2010 04:07 PM

Thanks for the input,I had already read your write up on the flattie fender, looks great. I just contacted Warrior products to see if they can make me stone guards for the front of the fenders without the cutouts for the lights. Ive spent too much time searching online and on the phone trying to locate someone that makes these. I already went ahead and ordered a pair of JK lights. The more I look at the grille on my TJ the more I cant wait to install these.

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 683650)
IA 3" hole saw and you're done.

Whoops I meant to say to use a 3 1/8" hole saw for the JK turn signal enclosures.

If any mod wants to correct my above post, that would be appreciated. It might save someone from drilling a 3" hole due to my typo which would not be easy to fix.

dbbd1 07-10-2010 05:56 PM

Okay, so that site is a tad bit hard to navigate. You do not still have part numbers, do you?

Jerry Bransford 07-10-2010 06:22 PM

Post #2 at New lightweight classic CJ-style flattie fenders for the Wrangler - JeepForum.com has the p/ns for the JK light enclosures. But you may have to talk with a Rock Auto rep on the phone as they were out of stock of that particular version of the JK light when someone else tried to order them. They have other brands of JK light enclosures besides the ones my two (left/right) part numbers are for.

Jollyczar 07-10-2010 10:30 PM

You could always get a body shop (or do it yourself) to patch over the hole for the stock turn signal and repaint......

dbbd1 07-11-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 684026)
Post #2 at New lightweight classic CJ-style flattie fenders for the Wrangler - JeepForum.com has the p/ns for the JK light enclosures. But you may have to talk with a Rock Auto rep on the phone as they were out of stock of that particular version of the JK light when someone else tried to order them. They have other brands of JK light enclosures besides the ones my two (left/right) part numbers are for.

Thanks.

JeepTech 07-11-2010 08:50 AM

check on ebay too. I purchased a pair from a guy on Ebay for @ $25 shipped plus no tax.