Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Fluid on driver rear tire??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/fluid-on-driver-rear-tire-55302.html)

kj 92yj 07-14-2010 11:11 AM

Fluid on driver rear tire???

Ok, this is somewhat strange to me! my driver rear tire has fluid coating the side facing in. It looks like the outside would if you sprayed some tire shine on ot and didn't wipe it off. had the tires balanced and rotated yesterday to see if this is an old problem or a new problem. the guys at the shop say that it is axel fluid leaking on to the tire? i know it isn't brake fluid because the res is full and has been since i bought it....

so, assuming it is axle fluid what am i looking at here to fix this and is it a danger to drive?

flatline 07-14-2010 12:47 PM

just need to replace axle seal. only danger is getting the fluid on the brakes, then that side don't work. other danger is running the rear end dry.

kj 92yj 07-14-2010 01:00 PM

thanks flatline. so what is involved with replacing an axle seal? it doesn't sound too hateful......???? now for the dumb question....is this the same fluid that would go into the diff? I'm going to imagine no, as this seems very clear and the stuff in the diff is dark and gross..... but wanted to ask. where on the axle would i check the fluid level, or top it off while i contemplate repair?

on a 4 wrench scale, i'm about a 2.5.

KBR97 07-14-2010 01:23 PM

Take the fill plug out of the differential cover with a 3/8 ratchet. The diff cover is the round thing inbetween both axle tubes looking under the jeep from the back...right behind the gas tank. Anyway,take out the fill plug, Stick your pinky in the hole. If you feel liquid in there or your fingertip is covered with oil then the diff is basically full. If you don't feel or get fluid on your finger then fill it through that same hole just until it starts to ooze out.

vijay 07-14-2010 01:36 PM

Is the oil coating on the inside walls or outside walls? From what I know, inside wall getting coated with oil only means break fluid...
EDIT: ok, never mind.... I re read your original post.

kj 92yj 07-14-2010 02:07 PM

thanks kbr. i'll do that.

flatline 07-14-2010 04:10 PM

If clear that would be brake fluid. pull tire and drum and look at wheel cylinder. obvious if leaking. If not that then it's the axle seal and your part way to changing that. now it gets harder. remove diff. cover, I think it's a 1/4 12 socket(been a while since I worked on a dana 35) remove small bolt to take out the shaft and spider gears. now have someone push the axle in so you can remove c-clip. axle should now slide out. pull seal and replace. nothing to it. might need to remove brakes also. sounds like fun don't it?

kj 92yj 07-15-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatline (Post 688132)
sounds like fun don't it?

no, it honestly sounds terrible! and like something that i won't be able to do on my own with my 2.5 wrench capabilities. i'll have to enlist some help or take it to a shop. :mad: thanks tho for the help. i'll let you know how it turns out......