Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Buying an '87 Wrangler but hesitant to pull the trigger. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/buying-an-87-wrangler-but-hesitant-to-pull-the-trigger-55468.html)

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 09:40 AM

Buying an '87 Wrangler but hesitant to pull the trigger.

Hi All-

I just found this forum and I'm hoping someone here will push me in the right direction as far as wheter or not to buy an 87 Wrangler I found locally.

First some background....

I had an '83 CJ7 for years. Loved it until I couldn't keep up with the rust ( salty New England) and had to take her off the road. Then I got a J2000 which also eventually rotted out.

Now I have a WRX and Odyssey. Love 'em both for thier own qualities but miss the CJ especially when it's hot like it has been. So for the last few months I've been looking for another CJ. Hard to find here and hard to find that aren't modded to hell or falling apart.

But then the other day I found a Wrangler. '87, 200000 miles, ZERO RUST.

Been in storage the last 10+ years and driven only summer time when it was driven. Never been off road. It doesn't look like it's seen 200000 mile of summer driving so mayber it was trailored behind and RV? I dunno but it seems in really good shape. The floorboards are flawless. She's solid.

The want $1600 obo. Includes the softop and hard half doors.

The Pugeot tranny feels sloppy but it worked when I test drove and the 4x4 works fine.

Don't really have the $ to buy it right now but I could scramble to get it together. I just need to know what you Wrangler owners think.

Thanks!

Chris

rogertc1 07-16-2010 09:57 AM

Great price if it is all you say it is. The milage is high but the 4 bangers are good well past that..

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 10:53 AM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention it's go the 258 I6.

Yeah sounds like a good deal.

kj 92yj 07-16-2010 12:38 PM

yeah, agreed with rogertc1. gotta pull the trigger on that if you can afford it.

ubu 07-16-2010 02:01 PM

Go for it. Good price and that old boy still has many miles left.

Tarby 07-16-2010 02:45 PM

Sounds good...when time comes to rebuild the tranny, swap out the Peugeot...

rogertc1 07-16-2010 03:46 PM

6 cyl is even better...jump on it. May have to replace the carb too as they are kinda funky but no big deal if the body and frame are as great.
Post some pictures.

4Jeepn 07-16-2010 04:11 PM

If you must have it, buy it. However, as you noted the BA-1o trans is crap.. it will need replaced, it also has the odd ball t-case np207 or 208 for that year only. PLus, 87 is the 1st year of the YJ.. they had issues.. All things equal I would look for a 91 or new 6cly with fuel injection, but thats is just me.

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 04:21 PM

I hear ya. I never buy the first run of anything. A friend of mine and I shot down and went over it again with a fine tooth comb. Easier to find things with a 2 pairs of eyes.

Had a little trouble getting it started. Uhhh no fuel and gas gauge is pinned (what else is new?). Got some fuel got her running and she runs SMOOOTH. It's a strange deal. High miles, no rust, super clean, lots of little issues and probably eventually the tranny but I could drive it home today no problem. I made him an offer but I think he went down to the Cape for the weekend so no response. If I can get it for less that $1600 then I'm all over it. But I don't know if I want to pay $1600 and have to do a bunch of substantial work to her.

She drives nice tho! Springs are wicked soft but I have a 2" lift on the CJ with stiff springs that I can throw on I believe.

Maybe he'll get back to me soon or he's waiting to make me nervous and go up on my offer. The guy is a millionair so I can't use his need of $ to my advantage. He may just sit tight and I wouldn't blame him.

And I'd have a hard time finding a later model for $1600 without rust.

britcay 07-16-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwater Kiter (Post 690696)
And I'd have a hard time finding a later model for $1600 without rust.

think you answered your own question.... for that money it has to be worth a punt

Geoff@Bestop 07-16-2010 05:50 PM

It would be rare to get a running Jeep for anything less than that, you're well aware of the model and it's shortcomings (Puegeot - heck, I can't even spell it), and you sound like you know your way around a wrench.

Plus your asking the opinions of a bunch of Jeep loving, jeep-excusing fanatics.

I think you're just looking for a blessing to validate what you've already decided.

So go forth, my son, and purchase. Enjoy.

PS: Have you ever noticed that the only time the perfect, absolute best Jeep EVAH, appears for sale is about twenty minutes AFTER you bought one? Why is that?

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lemme see if I did this right. Here are a couple of pics.

I don't really have the $ the spend right now but at the same time it's such a rare situation I'd bee regretting not snagging her. I gave hime a lower offer than his asking price (I figure obo means OBO) in hopes of getting the price into more what I can "afford" at the moment.

Maybe I can/should swing the full $1600? Sheesh I'm losing sleep over this heheheh.

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 07:00 PM

Again I really appreciate all the responses and input. It's making my descision making a bit easier.

ratuna 07-16-2010 07:30 PM

Looks really nice except for the Beaver teeth!

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 07:38 PM

The Shackles right? Yeah a little over the top but not enought to keep me from lusting after it.

Tarby 07-16-2010 09:14 PM

If the owner asks why your low-balling the price, tell em it won't pass inspection...no side view mirrors. 87 had the stupid hanging 2 piece mirrors, and I don't see em, only the mounts for em on the windshield hinges. Might work, might not, to get him to agree to a lower price Worth a try, right?

Hardwater Kiter 07-16-2010 10:11 PM

I made it clear that I would most likely be replacing the tranny and there are a few other things that need addressing. I think it's going to need a little exhaust work and maybe a catalitic. Directionals don't work, back up lights don't work etc. Lots of little things that I can probably take care of if I put a solid day's work on it but also things that will keep it from getting a sticker.

The mirrors are also an issue for sure.

I don't mean to low ball him but I do need to watch what I spend. Especially not knowing what may pop up with it down the road.

I need to hear back and see what he says. It doesn't hurt to ask for a break sometimes. Maybe he'll say yes or meet me in between. Maybe he'll be firm on the $1600 but if that's the case the sign should say "firm" not "OBO".

I'll call again tomorrow and see if there's any word. I hate buying cars! The damn Odyssey took me almost 4 months with messing around wih dealers and deciding which van we wanted. This is a bit more of a "no brainer".

Lucky for me. =)

4Jeepn 07-16-2010 10:38 PM

not that it matters much, but there are not door locks on the 87.

Hardwater Kiter 07-17-2010 10:57 AM

The doors will hardly ever be on it I hope.

Haven't heard back about my offer. Starting to sweat it but I drove by and she's still in the yard.

Atlanta Al 07-17-2010 01:13 PM

What are u waiting for? get it

copleydad 07-17-2010 06:06 PM

The tranny has 200k on it..........it still runs........it's a Peugeot tranny.........

I don't get the hate for this tranny. Yeah, it's weaker than the AX series, but come on, 200k is pretty damn good for a transmission in my mind.

I wouldn't let that deter you a bit in buying this. Plan on spending the cash to buyu it and don't dwell on the what-ifs, poo happens and we deal with it. B uy it and have fun with it, it sounds like a great deal to me, even if you make it a project Jeep.

Where in NE are ya?

Hardwater Kiter 07-17-2010 07:13 PM

I know! I know! I'm convinced its a good deal and I'm trying to buy it but the owner is out of town for the weekend and isn't returning calls.

I know I said the thing has 200000 (204000 actually) but you would never knwo it looking at it. Seriously if you crawled around and looked at it and you'd swear it can't have more than 60 or 70000 on it. It's really wierd.

Then I thought "Dolly". It's an '87 it must have a mechanical odo and they must have been using this thing as a dingy for an RV. It would only be driven in the summer and driven lightly most likely.

And this is my guess as to why the Pugeot is still kickin'. A few of my friends have had them and the all seemed to crap out fairly early in the game. At least compared to other trannys. But even with the high miles on her the Pugeot isn't too much of a worry for me at this point. I'll run it until it acts up and take it from there.

Assuming it has been towed is there anything that high towing mileage can harm on it? My first guess is to replace the fluids in he diffs and check that stuff out. The driveshaft ujoints seem rock solid. The springs seem wicked soft but I may be used to the stiff suspension on my CJ and the WRX.

I'm going to go down and visit the jeep right now.

tx_ffemt 07-17-2010 07:20 PM

When I found mine on c-list, took the owner 2 days to call me back. It was a very long 2 days indeed. Why would you post something for sale and then not be available for buyers? Anywho, I had the same feelings as you. I was hoping that it would have something terribly wrong with it so I would not buy it and keep looking for something less old and with less miles. Turned out I could not find any serious issues and ended up buying it. Still very happy with my decision. If there is not alot of rust, everything else seems easily repairable, something that old is not going to be perfect but from what u describe it seems like a very good buy.

the beep mechanic 07-18-2010 05:00 PM

no rust is a very good thing

If the body/frame are that solid, go for it. Mechanical work is easier (well usually) than bodywork. If the seller accepts your offer, you have a good foundation to work with.

scott howard 07-18-2010 11:03 PM

I love mine. go for it

bergy 07-19-2010 12:44 AM

i have an 87 YJ too and i would jump on another one for that price... guy doesnt know what hes got even if it has a few minor problems anything that old will... good luck on getting it i hope it works out well and runs strong for you

Geoff@Bestop 07-19-2010 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by copleydad (Post 691572)
I don't get the hate for this tranny.

It's French. FRENCH. :p
Attachment 21677

toshpate 07-19-2010 11:28 AM

have an 89, paid way more then 1600 and it has more issues then that one, get on it tater

Hardwater Kiter 07-19-2010 05:53 PM

Holy phone tag and I still haven't spoken with the guy! He's back in town tho and is supposed to call me tonight.

Of course you know this thing comes up just as I had a ton of bills come due so the $ situation is wicked tight but as everyone agrees it's too good to pass up especially with all the frustration of waiting to hear back!

I want to buy it just so I'll get some sleep tonight. Of course if I buy it I'll be up all night messing around with it and fixin' the "quick" little stuff.

And my smarter half said I could only buy it if I got rid of the CJ and the J2000. I'm keepin' the CJ but I'll sell the J2000 but not before I buy the YJ. She's in Vegas/Pahrump for a few days and has no clue what's transpired.

What happens in New Hampshire stays in New Hampshire. I'm probably going to have to hide the thing for a while. That should be fun.

rusty-shackleford 07-19-2010 07:29 PM

if it helps you any, i'm trying to get a WRX to go with my YJ!!! i think they are the perfect combo. good grief man, BUY THE DANG JEEP!!!