Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Calling TJ Owner's with Scanners (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/calling-tj-owners-with-scanners-55669.html)

MikalCarbine 07-18-2010 09:00 PM

Calling TJ Owner's with Scanners

I've been trying to troubleshoot what I perceive as a problem with my TPS in my 02 TJ. My scanner says my throttle position only varies from 8-67%, which seems very off. I was wondering if anyone with a scanner and a TJ could report in with what their scanner gives them for a range in either volts or % as read by the PCM through the scanner

Dixit 07-18-2010 10:35 PM

It may be ok or slightly off. Mine reads 11% with no foot on the throttle. Full throttle I read 75-76%. Ive also wondered why it never gets to 0 or even close to 100 at full. But from ive read around, what Im seeing is normal and there is no "adjustment" on my 2005 for the TPS, the PCM adjusts to this. It figures out where its closed and where its full open.

Dixit

MikalCarbine 07-19-2010 06:11 PM

Thanks for the input. From my testing my sensor has a range of 4-98% when not connected to the throttle body. Once I connect it to the TB it seems the nipple off of the throttle body plate limits the sensor's full range. Can anyone else post their results?

MikalCarbine 07-20-2010 09:32 AM

Bumpp

mrcarcrazy 07-20-2010 10:09 AM

pretty sure my scanner won't show me a value for anything unless a CEL is tripped, then it takes a screen shot of everything. (its a cheapo scanner)

MikalCarbine 07-20-2010 10:12 AM

Haha damn, I thought mine was cheap. It's an ELM327 USB dongle I connect to a laptop and requires 3rd party software

mrcarcrazy 07-20-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine (Post 694574)
Haha damn, I thought mine was cheap. It's an ELM327 USB dongle I connect to a laptop and requires 3rd party software

I have this
CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

I spent like 20.00 on it. I had a ranger that had issues, and this met the minimum requirement to get the job done....

I've never plugged it into the Jeep. I can try after work today if I remember where I put it.

drivebytruckerz 07-20-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikalCarbine (Post 692612)
I've been trying to troubleshoot what I perceive as a problem with my TPS in my 02 TJ. My scanner says my throttle position only varies from 8-67%, which seems very off. I was wondering if anyone with a scanner and a TJ could report in with what their scanner gives them for a range in either volts or % as read by the PCM through the scanner

You didn't get the memo about the new TPS reports?

MikalCarbine 07-20-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 694772)
You didn't get the memo about the new TPS reports?

LOL nice one

My father works for car dealer services of a company and he's been talking to a Jeep mechanic for me. The mechanic had a few questions about this for me and I'll post what he tells me. In the meantime keep any results coming, I'm surprised from the lack of scanner owners :(

MikalCarbine 07-21-2010 06:17 AM

I'm keeping this thread going