Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Weird water leak (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/weird-water-leak-55955.html)

CubbieBlue 07-21-2010 08:46 PM

Weird water leak

Leaking water in the front passenger AND driver side (less on the driver side)

Pulled the cowl and sealed that intake up that cause a lot of people problems, thought that would solve it. - Nope.

Pulled cowl again and checked that drain to see if it was clogged. - nope

I sat there and ran water all over/in the cowl area and my GF said no water was running in during that time. I even ran it full blast down/around the drain in the cowl thinking perhaps it a seal around the drain was the issue, nope (at least she says so).

I started to spray around the battery - YES. I read that there is some thing to seal behind the battery but there doesn't seem to be anything behind mine...

I sprayed this foam piece where the AC is tubed into it - leaking alot she said.

I then sprayed by the driver side and she said ti was leaking a little pretty much whereever I sprayed it. WTF?!

I go inside and see that there is water beading down from the steering shaft thing.

Here are pics:

How do I solve these leaks? I can run some sealant stuff around the steering shaft o-ring, but I don't know what to do about the other one.

I tore out the carpet and I think I am going to herculine it this weekend, I would still like to solve this problem however as I do not have a garage.

Thanks all.

CubbieBlue 07-21-2010 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
n/t

IndyJeepMan 07-21-2010 08:51 PM

Mine does it too, I dont worry about it because i have lining in the bottom and I took the plugs out with carpet though I would look into. I know its a common problem with Jeeps so someone has to have the fix, I just thought I'd let you know you arent alone

CubbieBlue 07-21-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 696888)
Mine does it too, I dont worry about it because i have lining in the bottom and I took the plugs out with carpet though I would look into. I know its a common problem with Jeeps so someone has to have the fix, I just thought I'd let you know you arent alone

Leaking in general or the same type of leak I am experiencing?

IndyJeepMan 07-21-2010 09:26 PM

Same leak, lots in the passenger side, a little in the driver side. Almost everytime it rains. I've just got to the point where I dont worry and just drive and let it leak out through the drain. I have no clue on what it is, its coming through the dash though..

CubbieBlue 07-21-2010 09:30 PM

Well dude I think I found what it is. On the passenger side it is DEFINITELY that foam gasket where the heater and ac lines run through it. I just don't know how to fix it? Silicone around it? Build a little shelf over it? On the driver side it is the seal around that steering shaft and possibly some other seals that are not perfect.

CubbieBlue 07-22-2010 08:45 AM

Bump for the mornign folks

CubbieBlue 07-22-2010 01:14 PM

Not a clue? C'mon guys I need some help! (And a Jeep project for this weekend!)

Sticks 07-23-2010 04:34 AM

If you have correctly identified the source of the leak, yes, a caulking tube of silicone RTV and careful application will cure your ills and create a flexible seal. The only place that may be a problem is the steering shaft, in which case you would need to get a rubber boot.

BTW, might want to wire tie up those loose wires under your dash/engine compartment.