Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Help!! no parking lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/help-no-parking-lights-5607.html)

blkNyellow 01-31-2007 07:55 PM

Help!! no parking lights

have a 2000 wrangler sport, my girlfriend just bought it and the parking lights don't work, the brake lights, turn signals, head lights all work, but the parking lights don't. i checked the parking light fuse behind the glove box and it was good and replaced the exterior lightning 40A fuse under the hood and they still don't work. put new bulbs in too. what can it be, any thoughts???

AzTJ 01-31-2007 08:03 PM

might be the light switch. Donno if it on the dash or in the colum in 2000... if its on the dash its not too expensive and pretty easy to replace.

But check the connections on the lights first, make sure they have bulbs in there as well.

blkNyellow 01-31-2007 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 50685)
might be the light switch. Donno if it on the dash or in the colum in 2000... if its on the dash its not too expensive and pretty easy to replace.

But check the connections on the lights first, make sure they have bulbs in there as well.

they have bulbs b/c the brake lights, and turn signals work. when you say the light switch, your talking about the thing you pull to turn them on??? the head lights work though?

amerijeep 01-31-2007 08:47 PM

Do you know how to use a meter? I think it would be nearly impossible to tell you how to troubleshoot that, but I'm sure we can give you some good leads.

blkNyellow 01-31-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 50715)
Do you know how to use a meter? I think it would be nearly impossible to tell you how to troubleshoot that, but I'm sure we can give you some good leads.

a volt meter?? yes give me some idea's. i just don't undersand b/c everything else works but the parking lights. any idea's or thought would be helpful

amerijeep 01-31-2007 09:11 PM

I had somethin' similar goin' on recently actually. I ended up havin'a whole load of water inside my front marker lense. Have you pulled each bulb out and inspected it? I really think you have a dead short somewhere. There's a bunch that can cause that, including a bad bulb.

amerijeep 01-31-2007 09:13 PM

Pull all the bulbs out and turn on the parking lights. Meter each socket and see if you get 12 volts on each one.... That would be a good start, I'm thinkin'.

Where you at? If you happen to be close to me, I'll give you a hand.

blkNyellow 01-31-2007 09:19 PM

i'm located in raleigh north carolina, that does sound like a start. thanks, after i try it i'll post up and let you know if it works, do you have any other thoughts if that doesn't work

amerijeep 01-31-2007 09:23 PM

Yeah, a few. But hopefully it'll be easy.

binaryking 02-01-2007 12:12 AM

Even though the parking light fuse looks good, I would still replace it just to make sure. Also, the switch is on the dash. It is a two position switch, first for parking lights, then for parking and headlamps. It is a possibility that the switch for the parking lights has died but the position for the headlamps could still work. Just a thought.

affende 02-01-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryking (Post 50833)
Even though the parking light fuse looks good, I would still replace it just to make sure. Also, the switch is on the dash. It is a two position switch, first for parking lights, then for parking and headlamps. It is a possibility that the switch for the parking lights has died but the position for the headlamps could still work. Just a thought.

x2 the lead for the parking lights can go bad, but the lead for the headlights might still work.

check all the voltages at the socket and see if you are getting any power there ... as amerijeep already stated.

blkNyellow 02-01-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affende (Post 50838)
x2 the lead for the parking lights can go bad, but the lead for the headlights might still work.

check all the voltages at the socket and see if you are getting any power there ... as amerijeep already stated.

I appreciate it, and hopefully i'll get a chance to check into it some more tonight or this weekend. thanks for the help/info

blkNyellow 02-03-2007 08:51 AM

ok, so i got a chance to take a better look at everything last night, i bought a new headlight switch and was putting it in, and as soon as i pulled the dash panel off i saw my problem. someone had spliced the hot wire for the foglights to a wire going to the headlight switch and the splice had been pulled apart inturn cutting the wire going to the switch. so i re-spliced the wire and now everything works fine. i went ahead and put the new switch in neways since i was already there. thanks for all the help guys