Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Death Wobble Videos... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/death-wobble-videos-56081.html)

Jp90Talon 07-23-2010 03:10 PM

Death Wobble Videos...

I see this topic come up quite a bit on here with people wondering if they have death wobble or what it feels like. Found a couple videos that show it quite well and figured it was worth the post.

Keep an eye on the front axles and wheels and the sound itself that the vibration makes.

YouTube - Death Wobble

YouTube - death wobble

In cab

YouTube - Jeep JK Shake Death Wobble

Hope this answer a few questions and helps peple differentiate bump steer from death wobble.

KBR97 07-23-2010 04:13 PM

I hate death wobble...:banghead:

should be a sticky thread

TjTheo 07-23-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbr97 (Post 698744)

should be a sticky thread

x2

toshpate 07-23-2010 04:27 PM

wow, I have been lucky with the 6 4x4 that I have owned never to hve had death wobble and I get up to some high speeds in mine, even my beast of a CJ never did that, Heck clueless as to what causes it because I have had bad u-joints with a lot of play and never wobbled

clear lake jeepn 07-23-2010 04:32 PM

man..that would scare the piss out of me!!

JDsDream 07-23-2010 04:53 PM

You have to feel it to believe it!!!

pakman55 07-23-2010 05:03 PM

^^Thats what she said.

AzTJ 07-23-2010 05:19 PM

I went a head and stickied this.

This will definitely help diagnose the problem for some people as to what is happening.

And as you can see, it's not just a Jeep thing. Any vehicle with a solid front axle and control arms can get it, as shown by the Chevy in the 2nd video.

Barrie 07-23-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn (Post 698770)
man..that would scare the piss out of me!!

You should have it happen at 70MPH at morning rush hour.:eek:

Jp90Talon 07-23-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie in Maine (Post 698846)
You should have it happen at 70MPH at morning rush hour.:eek:

Same happened to me! And thats why I really dislike it when I see posts like "I think I may have death wobble" . It really shouldnt even be a question.

Barrie 07-23-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 698850)
Same happened to me! And thats why I really dislike it when I see posts like "I think I may have death wobble" . It really shouldnt even be a question.

You got that right, when you have it you will understand why it's called DEATH Wobble.

jeepjones 07-23-2010 07:36 PM

LOL it WILL scare the Crap right out of ya!

Ozarkharleyguy 07-23-2010 10:23 PM

So whats the best way to make it stop? Accelerate thru it; hit the brakes; or just take foot off accelerator and let it idle down?

Jp90Talon 07-23-2010 10:29 PM

Pull over and come to a complete stop!

I have heard a few say to skinny peddle through it but trust me.....going faster is the last thing on your mind if you get it.

Wally Meyers 07-24-2010 09:34 AM

:wavey: This spring we were on I-94 outside of Milwaukee Wisconsin. We were in rush hour traffic and a Jeep that was by us started doing that. I thought people were going to bang into each other getting away from the Jeep. It wasn't a Wrangler. If they would have hit, I wonder who would have been responsible for the damage? I'm sure it would have ended up in court. But this death Wobble as it is called in cars (cages) is a real pants wetter at about 70 mph or so on a motorcycle when the handlebars are pulled out of your hands. BTDT and don't like it. Have a great day.

Vaultzz 07-24-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 698836)
Any vehicle with a solid front axle and control arms can get it

Really??? That awesome!!!! well for me :D I now love my leaf springs :punk:

JDsDream 07-24-2010 10:37 AM

I never had to come to a complete stop. I just came off the go peddle and it would settle down. It seemed to take forever to do so, but that was just because it was so damn scary while it was happening. Once it got down to about 45mph it would even back out on it's own. I haven't experienced it in the last year, but I am still leary of uneven surface roads. I am always afraid that all I did to correct it is just masking it for now and it will return.

ESP 07-24-2010 11:04 AM

So what do you do if this happens to you? Whats the fix for it and how much does it cost? Is it covered by a factory warranty? Is it caused by off roading? Please answer:

QtMcShorty 07-24-2010 02:49 PM

I am not gonna lie, this whole post gives me paranoia diarrhea.......

ESP 07-24-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtMcShorty (Post 699580)
I am not gonna lie, this whole post gives me paranoia diarrhea.......

CHA CHA CHA. Wait, girls get diarrhea!?!:confused:

Tj Timmy 07-24-2010 04:03 PM

mine does it when i start slowing down from 55mph or better.

nick50471 07-24-2010 04:04 PM

My wifes 97 Grand Cherokee had bad when I bought it. Balanced, aligned and replaced ball joints it is good now.

JDsDream 07-24-2010 05:12 PM

Mine was due to bad tires. It can be caused by all kinds of suspension related issues. Timmy is sounds like you have a brake issue. DW starts when you hit an uneven patch that causes one wheel to get out of sync with the other. Merely slowing down would not initiate DW.

QtMcShorty 07-24-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 699610)
CHA CHA CHA. Wait, girls get diarrhea!?!:confused:

Yes....lol
Sorry, it's not always roses and butterflies....

Ageless Stranger 07-24-2010 06:31 PM

DW is probably a higher reason on my list not to mod my Jeep than how much money it would cost. Mine drives very well down the road and I don't want to worry that something I've done to it will cause DW down the road.

ESP 07-24-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ageless stranger (Post 699730)
dw is probably a higher reason on my list not to mod my jeep than how much money it would cost. Mine drives very well down the road and i don't want to worry that something i've done to it will cause dw down the road.

+1

Soccer Ref 07-29-2010 04:11 PM

My steering damper is cracked that is evidently causing my DW, plus the rest of the steering rods etc seem to be a little shaky. If anyone has suggestions for an aftermarket company I can purchase parts from I would appreciate it because I got a quote for the dealer and must admit gave me quite a chuckle...05 Wrangler unlimited.

Mr. Sinister 07-29-2010 04:33 PM

so, school a n00b. can DW occur on a stock jeep (jk)? i first saw this on trucks! on spike. scary!!

ColdSRT 08-02-2010 09:07 PM

I first experienced this in my 05 dodge ram half ton. It happened during hard acceleration up a mild incline and at the crest of the hill it starts to turn right a bit and as soon as I moved the steering wheel the whole damn truck just started shaking like what the videos showed. It is a pucker moment for sure.

I had installed larger tires and wheels on it shortly before the incident so I chalked it up to that. I had the wheels rebalanced and the alignment checked and all was ok but it never came back. Just a one time deal. Crazy.

I don't believe random death wobble is purely part related. If it happens to you every time in a certain situation then yes but for the most part I think it is some kind of hamonics thing with regard to how control arm suspension is designed. Just the right amount of wear or incorrect setup combined with just the right enviro factors gets you an underwear ruining experience. It seems in most cases if there was not a severely worn part that the wobble was either a one time thing or a very rare event.

I wish there was a more concrete solution to the problem but it seems it is a tough nut to crack. This is one thing that worries me about lifting our new 4 door rubicon. But for that matter I think new tires and wheels is what made me get it in my truck. My wife will be doing most of the highway time in the rubi and I sure don't want her to have to experience anything like that. It is not going to stop me from lifting the jeep or getting wheels and tires for it. It is only going to make me be extra sure to do my homework and use only quality parts and to ask for help when I'm not sure exactly how something is supposed to be installed. That is all a fella can really do.

Ageless Stranger 08-02-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdSRT (Post 710093)
It is not going to stop me from lifting the jeep or getting wheels and tires for it. It is only going to make me be extra sure to do my homework and use only quality parts and to ask for help when I'm not sure exactly how something is supposed to be installed. That is all a fella can really do.

That's a good attitude to have going in. You should be fine IMHO.