Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Yj Axle Swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-axle-swap-56093.html)

WhiteJeep93 07-23-2010 06:05 PM

Yj Axle Swap

Okay so i am looking to put either a v6 or v8 engine into my Jeep Wrangler yj
its a 2.5l 4Cyl and i wanted to get some feed back on..... if i stayed with the Dana 35 rear Axle, and put in a v6 or v8 engine and 95% of my driving was on road, maybe go into the canyon 2 or 3 times a month would the rear axle hold up? The jeep is a 5 Speed Manual. And i wouldn't be driving like a "drag racer". This is my daily driver.....first car(16). And we are replacing the engine because it has 182k miles on it and my dad can get a dirt cheap deal on a ATK ENGINE I would also like to know what you guys think about ATK ENGINES they are second in the world.

flatline 07-23-2010 06:10 PM

you might get lucky and the 35 won't snap an axle. and maybe that trans will hold up for a while. as for ATK I can't give a answer since I don't know of any one who runs one.

WhiteJeep93 07-23-2010 06:17 PM

Okay thanks man. Thats what another guy said to. And i heard ATk is pretty prestigious

4Jeepn 07-23-2010 06:41 PM

You will most likey need a new trans as well for the as the ax-5 will not work with the 6 or 8 cly.. too weak.. also might need or mod the t-case as well. If you keep stock tires on the jeep and no low gears or lockers the dana 35 should be okay.

WhiteJeep93 07-23-2010 07:12 PM

Yeah i have 33x12.50.15 tires and a 4 inch lift but no lockers or low gears. And how much would a tranny run? Also what would i have to do to mod the Tcase?

4Jeepn 07-23-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteJeep93 (Post 698967)
Yeah i have 33x12.50.15 tires and a 4 inch lift but no lockers or low gears. And how much would a tranny run? Also what would i have to do to mod the Tcase?

try the following link for parts: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
As for the t-case I think its the input shaft has to be changed to a larger spline count or get a whole case from a 6cly.

uplifted 07-23-2010 10:03 PM

I would definitely look into swapping the rear for a D44 or Ford 8.8.. As for the trans, if your staying with a manual, I would not go any less than a AX-15.... Just my opinion though.. I'm running a V8 with an AX-15 and Ford 8.8 and have had zero failure yet..

Fweaky 07-24-2010 12:37 AM

As uplifted stated the tranny will need to be addressed. You can get the axles to survive a while if you need to. I think it will depend on what type of offroading you do to how long they will last. I believe the 4 cyl came with 4.10 gears in them which are desireable for running larger than stock tires. I am running a stock AMC V8. I have a second set of axles that I bought a year ago and decided I would replace when problems arose with the stock ones. So far I have not had a problem. When I drive offroad its mostly in the sand and occasionally some mud. I don't try to break em but I don't baby em either. The transmission will definately need to be addressed.