Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Soft Top Noise (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/soft-top-noise-56106.html)

fonecop1 07-23-2010 09:25 PM

Soft Top Noise

I drove my new Jeep on the highway today for the first time. I was surprised how noisy the soft top is. The PO pulled the carpet out and I didn't have the back seat in it, I guess that will help the noise but it was still pretty loud. Is there anything else I can do to help out?
Thx,
Bob

Atthehop 07-23-2010 09:30 PM

I turn my radio way up

IndyJeepMan 07-23-2010 09:57 PM

Yep lol, it will quiet down with a rear seat and carpet. I have neither but im Young and I could careless about all the creature comforts. Typical right, I just dont mind it at all, its louder with the top off and doors off.

Anywho its a Jeep with a soft top, youll have to get used to it, thats all I can say or shell out big bucks for a hardtop. I just turn my radio wayyyy up!

aghostinside 07-23-2010 10:57 PM

Do you have soft upper doors? Full doors are a bit less noisy. I think carpet or some form of liner would help a little. I've had a factory soft top, a bowless Viking soft top, and now a hardtop. All about the same noise level. Although my factory soft top was a little stretched so it flapped a bit more at hwy speeds. All were much quieter with the windows up and the air on.(but what fun is that)

drivebytruckerz 07-23-2010 11:03 PM

You could sell the Wrangler and buy a Chevy Tahoe.

terminator012 07-24-2010 12:10 AM

Have you rode with the tops and doors off with a 30 mph crosswind at 65 mph.

I gotta get a new radio, I couldn't here the factory one

fonecop1 07-24-2010 07:26 AM

I was having trouble hearing the radio with the windows up. I'm 48 and can't hear anyway from all of life's adventures over those 48 years, none of which were owning a Jeep. I'm happy to be a Jeep owner just wondering if there is anything that would help or do I just need to go buy that 100 watt booster so I can hear talk radio while on the highway. I guess this is my mid life crisis convertable.

Got it inspected yesterday so I think I'm gonna drop the top here after while and see if I can get my Wife and Daughter to ride to town to the license office with me.

JDsDream 07-24-2010 09:23 AM

IS it an OEM top? Do you have all of the parts fitted properly? Door surrounds? Not having the pieces locked into the channels above the doors will also make for a noisy ride. I have forgotten that part of the process before and it gets really loud.

Tarby 07-24-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 699167)
You could sell the Wrangler and buy a Chevy Tahoe.

Ahhhh....yes...:rofl:

InfernoGirl 07-24-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 699371)
IS it an OEM top? Do you have all of the parts fitted properly? Door surrounds? Not having the pieces locked into the channels above the doors will also make for a noisy ride. I have forgotten that part of the process before and it gets really loud.

This^^^^. Post up a pic of it installed. It may be stretched out and time for a Replace a top. Sail cloth is heavier and quieter than the '00 tops, iirc.

Jerry Bransford 07-24-2010 09:41 AM

One thing that can help is to make sure all the windows are all zipped up or rolled up and then turn the fan speed up to its second fan speed with the vent on. That helps to "inflate" the top which can help to reduce the buffeting noises. Running the a/c in recirculate will make the top louder too, run the a/c in its non-recirculate mode which will do the same to inflate the top to help reduce its noise.

DKarge87 07-24-2010 09:57 AM

If you are getting noise from the top flapping on the bows i went to the local hardware store and got a piece of 1/2" pipe insulation for the top bow and 1 piece of 3/4" for the rear window bows and it does make it quiter without all the windows flappin all over. Hope this helps.

Kate 07-24-2010 10:09 AM

Well...
looks like everyone here has given you great advice, my job here is finished ;)

fonecop1 07-24-2010 11:30 AM

Yes it's an OEM top and the door surrounds are fitted properly. I think Jerry hit on it I have been running with AC on recirculate. Also the top may be s little stretched out I don't know for sure. I am going to put the back seat in and probably put carpet back in soon as well. Along with the info on recirculate I think I can look forward to quite a few lower decibels of noise.
Thanks

Kate 07-24-2010 11:39 AM

Just by putting the carpet back in you will notice a marked difference.

Pick up some tub mats to help keep the crud off, makes for quick and easy clean up.

TexasSam 07-24-2010 12:11 PM

What about the bows they sell to support the top when it's stretched out ? Has anyone tried those ? Just a thought.

fonecop1 07-24-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSam (Post 699525)
What about the bows they sell to support the top when it's stretched out ? Has anyone tried those ? Just a thought.

I was thinking there should be something like that out there that would work to stretch it where it is sagging.

Kate 07-24-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonecop1 (Post 699562)
I was thinking there should be something like that out there that would work to stretch it where it is sagging.

Wish I had something like that for my butt! :rofl:

fonecop1 07-24-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 699378)
This^^^^. Post up a pic of it installed. It may be stretched out and time for a Replace a top. Sail cloth is heavier and quieter than the '00 tops, iirc.

Here are a couple of pics, this is not the factory top it is one the PO bought from the dealer.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/DSC02153.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/DSC02154.jpg

TexasSam 07-24-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 699565)
Wish I had something like that for my butt! :rofl:

I guess I will leave this one alone. That's funny !!!:bottom:

Fonecop1 They sell the bows at Quadratec for around $40