Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Removal of plastic tailgate hinge cover (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/removal-of-plastic-tailgate-hinge-cover-56149.html)

katjeldav 07-24-2010 03:20 PM

Removal of plastic tailgate hinge cover

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone knows the proper way to remove the tailgate plastic hinge covers on my new 2010 JK?

I am installing a hi lift jack mount from Rugged Ridge and the instructions are a little vague on how to remove the hinge covers. I don't want to break them and have to replace them.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

ColdSRT 07-24-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katjeldav (Post 699626)
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone knows the proper way to remove the tailgate plastic hinge covers on my new 2010 JK?

I am installing a hi lift jack mount from Rugged Ridge and the instructions are a little vague on how to remove the hinge covers. I don't want to break them and have to replace them.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I actually think they are harder to get back on. A tree took one of mine off on the trail. I would say pull from the two corners closest to the tailgate. Just pull one up and one down as to spread them and with them spread push the whole thing towards the passenger side of the rig and it should pop right off. They have some pretty good flex to them. Like I said a tree took mine and when I went back two weeks later I found the part and there was no damage to it at all. Good luck and please report back about the mount. I just got the rugged ridge xhd front bumper and want that mount but I am not sure if I want my jack over the top of the jeep in the back. Starting to think about laying it down and mounting it on the bumper. Just have to pick a rear bumper.

katjeldav 07-25-2010 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the hint. It worked great for removing the covers on the body side of the hinge. To remove the tailgate covers, I gently lifted the cover end closest to the hinge and slid the cover to the left. It came right off.

Attached are some pictures of our Rugged Ridge Hi-Lift jack mount. The installation went pretty smooth except that the template for drilling the holes in the plastic hinge covers was definitely not right. I think that they photo-copied the instructions and maybe shrunk the template. Be careful with the mount's plastic knobs -- I twisted one too tight and it broke. I think that I am going to go with regular bolts and carry a wrench.

USAntigoon 07-25-2010 08:36 PM

I have the same Rugged Ridge Mount and didn't experience any issue with the set up...

Jockopup 08-21-2012 08:42 PM

Rugged ridge bracket installation

I just purchased the same RR hi lift bracket and am having a hard time figuring the installation out. At what point do you attach the plastic hinge covers? I am installing on factory tailgate. Directions are pretty bad. Images are also too grainy to make out.