Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Mud (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/mud-56328.html)

G54 07-26-2010 03:44 PM

Mud
 
I got scolded by the mechanic that installed my gears and lockers for having too much mud still caked on the underside of my Jeep. He said it could cause stuff to rot. I did the best I could to get it off, mostly around the t-case, but it seems like it's burned on to the headers. Am I looking at new headers in the near future? What kind of damage happens, if any, if you don't get mud off? Actual accounts of problems due to laziness in mud removal would be nice. :D

IndyJeepMan 07-26-2010 03:48 PM

Nothing usually. The two worst things that come from mud staying down there is rust being formed because the wet mud is trapped there, and two it getting into all the nooks and crannies especially anywhere where a seal is.

The other PITA is trying to work on something that has hardened dirt on it, that just sucks lol.

Samsrubicon 07-26-2010 03:53 PM

gus you should ask the mechanic if he has stock in tampax

InfernoGirl 07-26-2010 04:21 PM

Like those guys said, mud will dry, and then every time it gets wet, it holds water against the stuff it's stuck to, till it dries out again. It'll stay wet longer than just metal, so that's the reason it'll cause stuff to rust quicker.

Kate 07-26-2010 04:32 PM

Mud also gets into all of your moving parts under there, causing premature wear. So, if you're in the mud, be sure to clean up with a pressure washer directly after.

If it's deep mud or water, plan on changing fluids too.

It's just not worth it to me, I hate mud but I shre have a weakness for water.

ESP 07-26-2010 04:37 PM

I was wondering the same thing, how to clean the under belly of your Jeep well? All the washing places around here have power washes and pressure hoses but none are long enough to get under the Jeep? Also, would it be ill advised to spray high pressure water under your Jeep anyway for its components???

InfernoGirl 07-26-2010 04:39 PM

Pressure washing underneath won't hurt anything... Just set it for "stun", not "kill" ;)

Kate 07-26-2010 05:38 PM

LMAO IG!!!!
THAT was funny!

I have one of those cheap Harbor Freight pressure washers. I bought a set of inexpensive poly ramps to drive it up on and give it what for.
Of all things, a Webster duster http://product.expotv.com/2/9/9/299053_150x150.jpg in a really nice soapy solution works great for getting the final film off of things underneath. You can get those cheap at the dollar store.

At the car wash, just wear something where you can get down on your knees and give her hell.

EdJonesJeeper 07-26-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 701829)

At the car wash, just wear something where you can get down on your knees and give her hell.

:rofl::rofl::bottom:


Or you can use a set of those car ramps. Put one on a front tire and the other on the opposite back tire. Lifts it up higher and you can show off flex to the neighbors.

Barrie 07-26-2010 06:19 PM

Hey Gus, if you have a lawn sprinkler slide it under the Jeep and turn it on and move it every 10 minutes or so.

773H HO 07-26-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie in Maine (Post 701871)
Hey Gus, if you have a lawn sprinkler slide it under the Jeep and turn it on and move it every 10 minutes or so.

Great advice. That is what I do. I used to drive out in the Nevada desert a lot. There is an ancient dry lake bed to the east of Fallon. There are areas with diatomaceous earth that, when wet, will dry to the consistency of cement.

Some times I had to set up a rain bird type sprinkler and let it run all night to soften and then wash away the goop.

G54 07-26-2010 06:59 PM

I like the ramp idea. I have a pretty good pressure washer but it's kind of hard to see under there while using it. The goggles get wet and muddy pretty quick. The ramp might get it high enough to see what I'm doing a little better. With the Skid Row engine skid I don't think the sprinkler would hit much but the underside of the skid - but I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks everyone. Mud does suck. I prefer rocks, but there's a lot of mud on the way to them usually.

Kate 07-27-2010 05:46 AM

I just recently discovered that if I clean under mine before I take it off of the trailer, it's SO much easier!
It's up where can get to everything and not have to crawl around on the ground.
Oh yea! Easy peasy!

StinkyMud 07-27-2010 06:44 AM

Here is my remedy for the BIG stuff. The stock trans plate turned out to be an effective weed wacker.
We currently use the pressure washer on "stun" on our hands and knees. I like the sprinkler and/or the ramp/flex idea though. =)

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/88...600x600Q85.jpg

StinkyMud 07-27-2010 07:31 AM

Annnnnnnnnnnd my effective remedy for the small stuff. =)

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

G54 07-27-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMud (Post 702430)
Annnnnnnnnnnd my effective remedy for the small stuff. =)

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

If there's one thing I've tried to learn in my many years - it's when to shut up. This is one of those times. :D

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgus (Post 702777)
If there's one thing I've tried to learn in my many years - it's when to shut up. This is one of those times. :D

Yep I ain't sayin' a word either. :rofl:

And Gus, just take 'er down to the coin-op carwash and set the high pressure soapy spray to "stun" power for the underneath. The lawn sprinkler usually works well too for mud underneath but it can't be counted on. :)

G54 07-27-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 702790)
Yep I ain't sayin' a word either. :rofl:

And Gus, just take 'er down to the coin-op carwash and set the high pressure soapy spray to "stun" power for the underneath. The lawn sprinkler usually works well too for mud underneath but it can't be counted on. :)

I have a pressure washer I can use that I bought for cleaning my deck and saving me $$ at the coin-op wash. Plus I hate to leave those guys a mess. I just park it down near the end of the drive and then wash it down the sewer.

I was more concerned with what could happen to the areas that I miss more-so than how to clean it. The stuff caked/baked on my upper exhaust is hard as a rock. I think I would need a sandblaster to get that off.

InfernoGirl 07-27-2010 01:45 PM

If you turn the sprinkler on it in the problem areas for a good bit to loosen it first and then turn the powerwasher on it, that'll help. That's what I do when mine is nasty bad underneath... I'm not crawling under there and getting all gunked up... :) I have my limits you know! :)

G54 07-27-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 702814)
I'm not crawling under there and getting all gunked up... :) I have my limits you know! :)

If you say so. :rolleyes:

Actually I think a pic of you under your Jeep all gunked up would be a good promotional shot for Dirty Mudder Inc. :D

530ktm 07-27-2010 02:14 PM

If I were to run a sprinkler for any length of time on my Jeep the water Nazi's would come looking for me with a big fine for wasting water. That is because I live in a state that does not have enough electricity or water yet they keep letting the developers build crap loads of new homes for all the people who can not afford them and eventually walk away from them leaving a crappy housing market. You gotta love California.

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 702814)
If you turn the sprinkler on it in the problem areas for a good bit to loosen it first and then turn the powerwasher on it, that'll help. That's what I do when mine is nasty bad underneath... I'm not crawling under there and getting all gunked up... :) I have my limits you know! :)

A little mud never hurt a true Jeep girl such as yourself. :D

drivebytruckerz 07-27-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 701662)
Nothing usually. The two worst things that come from mud staying down there is rust being formed because the wet mud is trapped there, and two it getting into all the nooks and crannies especially anywhere where a seal is.

The other PITA is trying to work on something that has hardened dirt on it, that just sucks lol.

X2. It's not the mud itself that always causes the problems, but the fact that it gets wet over and over and holds water which can cause all sorts of problems on mechanical stuff (and rust on body parts).

InfernoGirl 07-27-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 702857)
A little mud never hurt a true Jeep girl such as yourself. :D

True, and if it's garden mud, "I ain't skeerd", but our local 4x4 place is a reclaimed coal mine, and it's high sulfur coal, and it stinks nasty bad, really nasty bad.... I don't want to touch it....... :rofl:

StinkyMud 07-27-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgus (Post 702777)
If there's one thing I've tried to learn in my many years - it's when to shut up. This is one of those times. :D

Ouch, Guess I walked face first into that!! LOL :banghead:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.