Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Clutch Help still needed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/clutch-help-still-needed-56369.html)

smirak 07-26-2010 10:33 PM

Clutch Help still needed

OK, so after my debacle with my clutch master/slave cylinder over the weekend, I thought I had my problem fixed. Long story short, my linkage kept "popping" off of my clutch pedal. I thought it was the master cylinder. When I changed it out, I did notice that the hole on the linkage rod was "ovaled" and worn out. Well, my linkage popped off the pedal today. I was feeling around on the "stud" on the pedal felt a little worn. There is a "lip" around the stud and one side felt a bit "smooth". So, I called around looking for just the clutch pedal. Apparently, you can't get that aftermarket, and the dealer only sells it as a "kit" with the brake pedal for like $120.

Anyone have any alternatives?

Thanks,
Kevin

TJ2 07-27-2010 02:36 AM

I just went out and looked at mine. There is a plastic keeper around the stud. . . is yours missing?

What you got more of time or money. If it's money then you have your answer. Buy the OEM part retail.

If it's time, look at the set up. Take the pedal off and engineer something that will keep the two pieces properly related. Maybe saw the stud off and through bolt something? Devise a 'keeper' to hold what you have in place?

Depending on where you live, there may be junk parts around. Do some homework and find out what's available. Posting your location might allow members of this board to point you in the right direction.

good luck

smirak 07-27-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ2 (Post 702335)
I just went out and looked at mine. There is a plastic keeper around the stud. . . is yours missing?

What you got more of time or money. If it's money then you have your answer. Buy the OEM part retail.

If it's time, look at the set up. Take the pedal off and engineer something that will keep the two pieces properly related. Maybe saw the stud off and through bolt something? Devise a 'keeper' to hold what you have in place?

Depending on where you live, there may be junk parts around. Do some homework and find out what's available. Posting your location might allow members of this board to point you in the right direction.

good luck

Yeah, I've got a plastic keeper on there as well. Pretty cheap part from the dealer (less than $2). However, the machined out portion of the "stud" isn't true all the way around and the "keeper" just pulls off after a couple shifts. Right now, I'm riding to work with a zip tie keeping it together...pretty ghetto, but it works (at least for now). I'm gonna go to the HW store this afternoon and get a C clip, a couple 1/2" washers and a pc of nylon tubing to act as a bushing.

Tubing over the stud, linkage over the tubing, washers to "shore" up the space from the linkage to the are where the C Clip would attach, and then the C Clip.

Will let you know if it works.

Kevin