Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Land Use Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/)
-   -   Massachusetts - Jeep Not an Off Road Vehicle (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/massachusetts-jeep-not-an-off-road-vehicle-56437.html)

ddbowdoin 07-27-2010 02:36 PM

Massachusetts - Jeep Not an Off Road Vehicle

Ok, the DCR (department of conservation and recreation - I believe) has several state parks in Massachusetts. On all of their trail maps, they list "unpaved roads" - specifically for use by Off Road Vehicles. If you look closely, the trail maps have gates. I called up several parks, with the number listed on the DCR website, and every staff member I spoke to said that when they list "off road vehicle" they mean non-highway motocyles. I was told a Jeep is not an off road vehicle, also ATV's are not allowed as well. This is so frustrating because I would love to go Jeepin' around my ways and not have to travel 2+ hrs for fun.

Frustrating! :zap::zap::zap::banghead:

pakman55 07-27-2010 02:49 PM

I'm pretty sure most trail here in MA are listed for "OHM" which means Off Highway Motorcycles. If you ever really feel the urge to wheel fairly close, there are A TON of trails in NH. Look up "Class 6 Roads" and you'll be golden.

4Jeepn 07-27-2010 03:45 PM

I know in the past in the national forests, you can only take Jeeps on roads.. a road is defined (going from memory) as being so many inches wide no matter what the surface, and by law they have to let the jeep go on it.. You might look into such a thing with your state.

ddbowdoin 07-27-2010 05:35 PM

F. Gilbert Hills State Forest

here is a link to the park I was talking about, on the right hand side under the section where they list activities they clearly state:

Accessible Restrooms
Hiking
Horseback Riding Trails
Hunting (Restrictions)
Mountain Biking
Off-Road Vehicles

here is a map, where they list "unpaved ROADS"

so, I put "unpaved roads" and "off road vehicles" together and figured I could Jeep there, well no

"Covering 1,027 acres in Foxboro and Wrentham, F. Gilbert Hills is a "passive use" pine and oak forest. There are 23 miles of trails for various uses, looping through the forest. One of these leads to the Warner Trail, a long-distance hiking trail that travels through Norfolk County on its way to Rhode Island. Mountain Biking is a widely popular activity and there are also trails for ORVs and horseback riding."

"Franklin and Wrentham State Forests are minimally developed properties that offer numerous intersecting trails and dirt roads. Trails are open for hiking, mountain biking and off highway vehicles (not ATVs). For information call F. Gilbert Hills."

ddbowdoin 07-27-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman55 (Post 702910)
I'm pretty sure most trail here in MA are listed for "OHM" which means Off Highway Motorcycles. If you ever really feel the urge to wheel fairly close, there are A TON of trails in NH. Look up "Class 6 Roads" and you'll be golden.

I'm pretty new to the Jeep world, the old cherokee never made it on a trail.. well now that I have the Wrangler I am ready to learn the ways... slowly. How intense are the class 6 roads? I have a stock sport and am sure I'll need some handy mods before I take on anything too crazy

pakman55 07-27-2010 05:51 PM

i am stock right now too. (not for long) i now a trail in Barrington Nh that i made it thru fine stock...next time i go ill let you know.

I would print a copy of the lit you just posted, go ride the trails, and if you get in trouble, show the PoPo that lit.

YoYo-Pete 07-30-2010 08:58 AM

ddbowdoin... call F. Gilbert Hills. Ask WTF are off road vehicles.

TJdude 12-18-2010 12:09 PM

The DCR site for Mass defines and off-road (ORV) vehicle as:
"any motor vehicle designed or modified for use over unimproved terrain if used for recreation or pleasure off a public way and all legally registered motor vehicles when used off a way. Vehicles over 1000 lbs. such as pickup trucks or SUVs are prohibited from all trails at all times."

So, that pretty much rules out Jeeps as off-road vehicles.

Here's the link to the site that I found the nformation on:

Department of Conservation and Recreation

RubiconRich 02-04-2011 10:04 PM

Yes Mass is messed up. Jeeps are listed as OHV Off Highway vehicles.
A ATV is a ORV in Mass. I would join a club.

Vinnyb24 05-13-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJdude (Post 931470)
The DCR site for Mass defines and off-road (ORV) vehicle as:
"any motor vehicle designed or modified for use over unimproved terrain if used for recreation or pleasure off a public way and all legally registered motor vehicles when used off a way. Vehicles over 1000 lbs. such as pickup trucks or SUVs are prohibited from all trails at all times."

So, that pretty much rules out Jeeps as off-road vehicles.

Here's the link to the site that I found the nformation on:

Department of Conservation and Recreation

This blows, there is barely a legal place to wheel in MA as it is. I just want to crawl through some trails and have fun in my JK!

JEEPmp 09-29-2013 08:58 AM

Yes It is lame but I say screw it. I have a land conservation access permit and I go to freetown-fall river state forest all the time. I say let them try to stop me lol. But seriously we should start a petition and send it to our local congressmen to try and get some old laws changed. There are more jeeps than laws so we win. Haha