Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New '06 TJ Owner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-06-tj-owner-56444.html)

Ichthus 07-27-2010 04:22 PM

New '06 TJ Owner

So I just bought an 06' Wrangler from a dealer here in Denver! Needless to say I am very excited and absolutely love it!

It is a 4.0L, 6spd manual, with 32" BFG ATs.

Little did I know before that the oversize tires would require a possible re-gearing? I bought the Jeep with the tires on it and so I have no idea what has been done with the gearing.

So now I'm not sure what exactly to do. I don't know how to find out what gear ratio it has. I don't even know now if the 4WD works as I have read some people might change out the rear axle when upgrading tires and leave the front axle as is and loose the 4WD???

I guess I could have done a better job researching this stuff before I bought the Jeep but I was so mesmerized by finally getting one (I've wanted one for a LONG time!), I just had to have it!

pakman55 07-27-2010 04:25 PM

first off welcome to the forum.
second :bottom: shame on you for not checking the 4x4. That is a major problem. Did you even test drive it?I'd go check to make sure it works before we even continue :bottom:
third: Is there a lift the you know of? 32's will rub BAD if you plan to offroad/go over speed bumps.
fourth: post some pix. it will be a lot easier to help if you post pix.

edit: you should be ok with stock gearing w/ 32's. You will gain more power if you regear.

adkjoe 07-27-2010 04:32 PM

Go look at one of the differential covers. There SHOULD (might have been removed) be a metal tag attached to the cover bolts that says your gear ratio on it. Should be on both differential covers and should be the same.

When people change out the rear axle they put in a larger/stronger one to handle larger tires IE: 35+ inch tires. They don't lose 4WD just get a stronger axle, of coarse you can't use 4wd until your gears front and rear match. The front axle is usually left alone because it doesn't see anywhere near the amount of stress the rear axle does. Your rear axle is perfectly fine with 32" tires though.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 04:36 PM

I know, I know, total shame on me!

Checking the 4WD was one of those things that I of course had on my mind when going to test drive it (yes I did at least do that ;)), but then in all of the excitement I totally didn't even think about it while in it :banghead:)

1. So do you think if I put it in 4WD I will be able to just tell if it works or not by feel?

2. I don't know of any suspension mods nor can I see any. (sounds strange w/ 32s). Has the bigger fender flares on it.

3. I'll take pics later of my front and rear axles to see maybe what can be further figured out.

4. I am also planning on going to a popular 4x4 shop here in Denver called High Country to see what they can tell me but not sure if they will help me without buying anything.

Bignuke 07-27-2010 05:27 PM

If your not sure, don't put it in 4x4 because it could cause some major problems... Check the tags on the diff covers, if they are removed, you should go to your 4x4 shop.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here's my Jeep...

Ichthus 07-27-2010 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 4WD definitely works - found some things I don't like about it but will discuss later.

So on to my gearing and suspension...

There are no tags on my differential covers.

Here is a pic of front and rear (in that order)

adkjoe 07-27-2010 07:01 PM

The tag is right there in your photo vertical attached to the two side bolts on your rear diff. It's black, clean it up and read the x.xx number of off it. That's a dana 30 in the front and a dana 35 in the rear

You probably don't like your 4wd because you used it on dry pavement so it was probably hopping wasn't it?

Ichthus 07-27-2010 07:08 PM

That is exactly why I didn't like my 4WD! It was hoppy when I was turning tightly left or right. I thought that's why (dry pavement) but just wanted to make sure from other people. My explorer never did this.

And OMG I didn't see that silver tag on the bolts until I posted the pic. I couldn't see it with my bare eyes but with the camera flash it shows up. Grrrr! I will get that number right after dinner! Thanks for helping! Oh also! So since my 4WD works it's safe to assume that both front and rear are the same ratios??? So whatever the silver tag in the rear says it is, that's what the front is too?

adkjoe 07-27-2010 07:14 PM

It doesn't look like your diffs have ever been opened especially since the tag is there and your 4wd works so yes both will be the same ratio.

The front should have the same tag look for that one to.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 07:23 PM

Ok so I'm gonna say it's a 3.07. Would this make any sense?

Yesterday I noticed that doing 75 mph and throwing it into 6th I lose speed.

I am more concerned about highway driving than I am about off-roading. I don't do a lot of off-roading at all and when I do, it's very light.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 08:44 PM

Ok so I have a 3.07 gear ratio (factory) with 32" tires.

According to the gear ratio charts I've looked at, I should be more at 4.10 to be closer to the factory specifications.

So I am curious to know what I am getting out of keeping the 3.07.

As I said, I noticed that while using 5th gear to get to 75mph on the highway, once I threw it into 6th gear, I began losing speed with the accelerator floored and leveled out at roughly 70mph.

If I move to 4.10, will my 6th gear gain more power to hold the high speed (75mph) on the highway and even be able to accelerate?

EdJonesJeeper 07-27-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichthus (Post 703333)

According to the gear ratio charts I've looked at, I should be more at 4.10 to be closer to the factory specifications.

As I said, I noticed that while using 5th gear to get to 75mph on the highway, once I threw it into 6th gear, I began losing speed with the accelerator floored and leveled out at roughly 70mph.

If I move to 4.10, will my 6th gear gain more power to hold the high speed (75mph) on the highway and even be able to accelerate?

First Welcome to WF!
3.07 is a common gear ration but unfortunately it's the worse they came with. 3.73 is what I have with the 5spd manual and my 33's bog me down still pretty good. If 32's are the biggest you want to go 4.10 probably max I would do. I'm not real familiar with the gearing of the 6spd but this thread might help.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-t...ecs-26347.html

Your 6th gear is a little lower than my 5th so you should be good. I plan on going 4.56 b/c I want 35's one day!:D

Ichthus 07-27-2010 08:57 PM

I won't ever go more than 32" tires for sure!

So maybe I would be over-doing it a little with 4.10. What would you recommend?

EdJonesJeeper 07-27-2010 08:57 PM

P.S you might can find some used 4.10 gears for pretty cheap out of some old 4banger wranglers.

p1zzaman 07-27-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichthus (Post 703333)

First congratulations on the new Jeep! :wavey: second 3.07 on 32's is your problem with speed... I have an 04 5spd with 3.07, and in 5th gear if there is any type of incline I drastically lose speed, same as you. I only have 31's but yes if you re gear to 4.10 it will help with highway speeds and you'll get your 6th gear back. Lastly, where in denver are you? I'm in monument (20 minutes north of the springs)

Ichthus 07-27-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1zzaman (Post 703385)
Lastly, where in denver are you? I'm in monument (20 minutes north of the springs)

Thank you! I am in SE Denver area in Centennial. Cross streets E-470 and Smoky Hill.

I appreciate your advice! Starting to wonder whether I should try to do this myself or pay to have it done. Think I'll just pay. I'm no mechanic!

KBR97 07-27-2010 09:08 PM

Nice TJ, and welcome to WF.
I like the color too!

p1zzaman 07-27-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichthus (Post 703393)
Thank you! I am in SE Denver area in Centennial. Cross streets E-470 and Smoky Hill.

I appreciate your advice! Starting to wonder whether I should try to do this myself or pay to have it done. Think I'll just pay. I'm no mechanic!

No problem, from what I have read, pay someone to do it. But shop around, I got quotes from 3 different places and the cheapest I found was 250 an axle for labor, and I think its around 250 for ring and pinion. So it was around 1000 with parts and labor. If you ever wanna go wheel, let me know. Mt Herman is my backyard and there is variety of trails from super easy to I dont think so. haha.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1zzaman (Post 703404)
If you ever wanna go wheel, let me know. Mt Herman is my backyard and there is variety of trails from super easy to I dont think so. haha.

Sweet! That would be fun!

Do you have any good mechanics or 4x4 shops you prefer for your Jeep?

The only one I know of up here is High Country and my guess is they are popular and expensive. Just a guess though, I need to talk with them still!

adawg38 07-27-2010 09:18 PM

Are you sure the gearing is 3:07? That's an 06 with D30 in front and D35 in the rear and a 4.0L my 06 2.4L came with 3:73. You should have at least 3:73 or 4:10 already on an 06 with a 6spd manual. all 06 came 3:73 unless you got the upgrade options with the 4:10
I will say my D35 doesn't look like that. 4:10 is what u want on 32's like people say but 3:73 does me good with 31's. That 6th gear is pretty much useless I've found.

p1zzaman 07-27-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichthus (Post 703418)
Sweet! That would be fun!

Do you have any good mechanics or 4x4 shops you prefer for your Jeep?

Unfortunately I don't... I've only been here about a year, and only had my jeep about 2 months. I do most work myself unless its something complex and needs specialty tools that I don't have. I tend to stay away from those shops because usually all they wanna do is up sell you on things you don't need, and I hate that. So I usually use this forum to answer any questions I may have. One thing I do for mechanical advise is go to like Big O, and ask if there is anyone that knows jeeps well, I have done that a couple times and they are usually friendly and very willing to help if they truly are a Jeeper.

Ichthus 07-27-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawg38 (Post 703428)
Are you sure the gearing is 3:07? That's an 06 with D30 in front and D35 in the rear and a 4.0L my 06 2.4L came with 3:73. You should have at least 3:73 or 4:10 already on an 06 with a 6spd manual.

For sure, it's a 3.07, I checked the tags on the differentials. I also read somewhere that some 06's came with 3.07 depending on the package that was bought.

The 06 2.4L came with 3.73 to compensate for engine size.

P.S. I see you're from around here too!

adawg38 07-27-2010 10:01 PM

I didn't know that they came with 3:07. Yeah I'm in Westminster. I'd definately go 4:10's and if you want a little bigger down the road go 4:56. I am gettin some 32's by end of summer and going 4:10 and gonna upgrade my axle shafts. I've also been told if you stick with the D35 don't go 33's with a locker or on the trails you can snap your shafts so you may think about upgrading them also.

Ichthus 07-28-2010 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so now I know what I need to do gearing wise. I'm gonna find a shop (hopefully) that can just do the install and I'll buy the parts (possibly used) from somewhere else.

So now on to the lift. I still don't think I have a lift, so here's a pic of my coil and my side underbody. Pretty sure there is no body lift. Don't think there is a suspension lift.

What do you think?

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 09:43 AM

You're better off letting the shop get the parts for gears. Then if something goes wrong, they can't blame it on the parts you supplied, and charge you labor again to fix it with another part..... If you really hate your gearing move down to a smaller tire, if you can't afford to regear properly. I have 33's with 3:07's but mines an auto, for what I use it for and my terrain, it's not a problem, but I can see how you'd hate a manual in CO with them.... :)

Ichthus 07-28-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 703877)
You're better off letting the shop get the parts for gears. Then if something goes wrong, they can't blame it on the parts you supplied, and charge you labor again to fix it with another part.....

You've got a good point and one I am seriously considering with just getting the parts from the shop, BUT I know there must be a few good shops with experience in these installs and getting the parts myself will save some dough. I can afford it either way, but I am still trying to be frugal.

I expect that I will be doing a lot of going to shops and talking with the mechanics to find out their experiences with gear swaps in jeeps before I make my final decision.

3.07 with 32s just isn't cutting it for me on the hwy. And LOL! there is no way I will go smaller in tire size. I like the look with what it has now and is perfect for the easy wheeling I would be doing anyways. Just need some more power to keep the higher speeds on the road.

Ichthus 07-28-2010 09:58 AM

Thank you by the way (TO EVERYBODY) for all your opinions, advice, and help! I have learned a lot the past 24 hrs!

pakman55 07-28-2010 10:07 AM

glad we could help....im also glad your 4x4 works.

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichthus (Post 703882)
You've got a good point and one I am seriously considering with just getting the parts from the shop, BUT I know there must be a few good shops with experience in these installs and getting the parts myself will save some dough. I can afford it either way, but I am still trying to be frugal.

It's not the parts that are expensive, it's the labor.......