Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Weatherproof Car Cover Issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/weatherproof-car-cover-issue-56540.html)

cnm22 07-28-2010 04:03 PM

Weatherproof Car Cover Issue
 
So I have a 4 dr wrangler and since I don't have a garage :( I bought a weatherproof car cover to pull over my whole jeep so I don't have to constantly worry about the rain. Now my problem is, if I have my top all the way off and I put the cover on, when it rains hard the rain pools down onto the cover towards my seats in the now empty spaces between the roll bars. First off, getting the rain out is a pain when one gallon of water is almost 10 lbs, and if the water sits it permeates through the cover and can get inside the vehicle. So now I have to at least pull the soft top forward (hard to do by yourself) so that it can hold the weight of the water and run off. Anyone know of anything you can purchase/tips and tricks that would help? It almost defeats the purpose of having the top down and owning a cover if you are still constantly worried about the heavy rain. It does great on light rain. The only thing I can think of is to put a meter stick or something longer on my seats and let the cover sit on it to create a tent for the rain to cascade down it onto the ground instead of pool inbetween. :9lame:

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 04:07 PM

Zeus bow. I think is what they're called. Or you can make one out of pvc tubing and fittings, cut a fitting in half and fit it over the roll bars, and put the pipe in the ends. Slightly longer pipe than the distance between the bars to make it bow. Or if you are handy like that you can weld something up. That's what my PO did. Works well, still will hold some water, but not a lot like it does without the bow...

daggo66 07-28-2010 05:07 PM

Your problem is that the cover you have is meant to be used with the top on. You need a Bestop Trail Cover for when your top is down.

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 704397)
Your problem is that the cover you have is meant to be used with the top on. You need a Bestop Trail Cover for when your top is down.

I use my bow with my Bestop trail cover... ;) But, it's almost 10 years old, so it might be a tad bit stretched out...

daggo66 07-28-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 704414)
I use my bow with my Bestop trail cover... ;) But, it's almost 10 years old, so it might be a tad bit stretched out...


Eeeww!:eek:

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 07:52 PM

:rofl: What are you thinking about? I'm talking about my trail cover..... :rofl:

Hendy 07-28-2010 08:07 PM

This has the potential to be a great thread!!!

I was thinking about this when I got a bikini top and back deck cover. First time I had to duck to get in because the bikini was FULL of water I thought, this is going to be bad. I pushed the top up from inside and still got drenched.

Since then I have been thinking, the sectional poles you use to put up a dome tent would be great as a prop to prevent pooling. I just haven't come up with an exact plan for this yet, any ideas anyone?

monkeee2002 07-28-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnm22 (Post 704312)
.... since I don't have a garage :( I bought a weatherproof car cover to pull over my whole jeep so I don't have to constantly worry about the rain. ....

I'm in that boat, too.
I just put my top up when I expect rain. No windows or doors, and I just half-way latch the front. Just enough to give the carcover some shape.;)

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 08:20 PM

Hendy there are threads regarding this.

Here are some links:
Top Prop™ and Tonno Prop™ - for Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ, JK - Skid Row Offroad
Jeep Horizons :: View topic - my $4 PVC top prop

Hendy 07-28-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 704707)


DOH!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hendy 07-28-2010 08:41 PM

In that case, I have a great idea for installing a custom made sub-woofer under the rear seat........

:D

cnm22 07-28-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 704317)
Zeus bow. I think is what they're called. Or you can make one out of pvc tubing and fittings, cut a fitting in half and fit it over the roll bars, and put the pipe in the ends. Slightly longer pipe than the distance between the bars to make it bow. Or if you are handy like that you can weld something up. That's what my PO did. Works well, still will hold some water, but not a lot like it does without the bow...

Right on, thanks. I'll have to look into just throwing one together. Otherwise, know a good place where I can purchase a couple of the zuse bows?

cnm22 07-28-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 704397)
Your problem is that the cover you have is meant to be used with the top on. You need a Bestop Trail Cover for when your top is down.

Thanks-I'll have to look into getting one of those tops next.

InfernoGirl 07-28-2010 11:17 PM

I can't find the zeus bows atm, but up above I posted a link to some other bows...

daggo66 07-29-2010 06:28 AM

I handle the water on the trail cover issue with a broom. I just use the broom to push all the water off the top. I've never gotten any on the inside using this method.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.