Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   TX n00b (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/tx-n00b-56781.html)

rav 07-31-2010 10:06 AM

TX n00b

I don't have a Wrangler yet but I have always wanted one. I'm researching a used 2000 - 2006 as a replacement for my current daily driver. There are so many, IMHO, stupid reviews to filter out (jeep is too loud, gets horrible gas mileage, not comfortable) that I thought I'd come to a Wrangler forum to read and ask questions. :D

~rav

JDsDream 07-31-2010 10:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. I concur that the mileage is terrible. After all you are driving a brick on wheels. They can be loud because you have the option of tops, no tops, doors, no doors and the list goes on and on. It is not the smoothest ride out there, but there are worse. I would suggest you go test drive a jeep or better yet, rent one for a couple of days and you will discover why we love our Wranglers. Mine is a daily driver with all of the above mentioned rants and I wouldn't want it any other way. To sum it up A Wrangler is the most fun you can ever have on 4 wheels! Okay, sometimes 3 or 2 wheels depending on the trail.

rav 07-31-2010 10:30 AM

Thanks!! I located a place to rent one and that will definitely happen before I buy. But I think I will be ok - the gas mileage is comparable to what I'm driving now, I've had a daily driver with a lot of road noise and I'm planning to save up for a hard top, and this is my chair at work:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg179/sca...=640&ysize=640

I don't want anything that feels like a Lexus, LOL.

ETA that I am looking at Jeeps because I like them and also because I'm hoping we can repair it in the garage. My current car is expensive to keep running - a little part breaks and the labor of removing the dashboard to fix it is more than the cost of the replacement part.

~rav

MbRich 07-31-2010 10:33 AM

My YJ with no top and no carpet was much quiter than my Jeep J-10 Truck that I had for years before my wrangler.

The gas mileage in my YJ is about 20 city/highway. She doesn't like to go over 60 MPH on the Highway and when in town, she typically goes 5 under the speed limit, typically so I can just enjoy the drive. (for point of reference, my TJ gets 13-15 MPG for the same type of driving)

I had friends that had CJs so I knew what I was getting into. I was a bit disappointed when my Jeep didn't wander all over the lane like my friends - I thought that came standard :D

So if your friends don't have one - I agree with renting one and checking it out for yourself. I used to be a speed demon because I just wanted to get to my destination. Now when I'm driving, I do it slowly and hope I never reach my destination.

MbRich 07-31-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rav (Post 707557)
I don't want anything that feels like a Lexus, LOL.

HAHA - if you find that OK to sit on - you are in good company - That's exactly what my YJ seats feel like after a 600 mile trip.

TJBruiser 07-31-2010 10:52 AM

seats

Although I have only had my '98 for a week or so I find the seats are probably the most welcoming car seats I have ever had the pleasure of trying. Based on the color I am assuning they came off the floor with the Jeep. Maybe I am just strange and have an odd idea of comfort. either way my 2 cents.

blkrubi88 07-31-2010 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forum! If you are looking for something with a quite, comfortable ride and good gas mileage, then keep looking, but they are alot of fun.

massyj 07-31-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MbRich (Post 707559)
I used to be a speed demon because I just wanted to get to my destination. Now when I'm driving, I do it slowly and hope I never reach my destination.

X2. I get in a regular car, and I just want to zip from one place to another. In my YJ, I enjoy the driving so much, I take the long, slow way every time. Now when I see someone coming up on me, I wave them around and say to myself 'poor bugger is stuck in a car...I'd want to hurry up and get out too'. :(