Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tuffy Stereo Console - Can't Shift into 2nd/4th Gear (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tuffy-stereo-console-cant-shift-into-2nd-4th-gear-56849.html)

Yagermeister 08-01-2010 07:56 AM

Tuffy Stereo Console - Can't Shift into 2nd/4th Gear

I spent yesterday installing my Tuffy Stereo Security Console and new Kenwood stereo. I took my time and everything lined up great and the install came out perfect... except for one minor detail - I can't shift into 2nd or 4th gear! :doh: The shifter knob bangs against the console before it can slide into gear. My Jeep has a 4" lift with transfer case drop, so I guess the shifter doesn't line up with Tuffy's design. Here's a picture:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_0040.jpg

I tried bending the shifter arm back a bit, but it's obviously going to require a torch, which I don't have. Are there any bolt-on solutions I could get away with? Maybe a short throw shifter? I did some forum searching last night and I read one post which mentioned that after installing a short throw shifter (Hurst, I think) their 2nd and 4th gear shifts were even closer to the console than before. Can anyone comment on that?

Relocating the console isn't an option, as it literally takes up the entire length of the interior. I really don't want to return it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Atthehop 08-01-2010 08:13 AM

Trim the opening with a dremel.

corima 08-01-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 708215)
Trim the opening with a dremel.

It looks like it's going to need more than that. Looks like the gear shift knob is blocked by console itself. Will it shift completely with the knob removed? If it will, I would drive it that way, take pictures and contact tuffy customer service. I wouldn't modify anything on it, as it may be unreturnable if you do. Stuff like this always seems to happen on the weekend. :crash:

Yagermeister 08-01-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corima (Post 708232)
It looks like it's going to need more than that. Looks like the gear shift knob is blocked by console itself. Will it shift completely with the knob removed? If it will, I would drive it that way, take pictures and contact tuffy customer service. I wouldn't modify anything on it, as it may be unreturnable if you do. Stuff like this always seems to happen on the weekend. :crash:

Exactly. It's fine at the base, it's the knob that's blocked... so a dremel won't do. Even if I take the knob off it still won't go all the way into 2nd, the shifter rod hits the console as well. I have another vehicle to drive so it's not an immediate concern, but I do drive the Jeep pretty often so I'd like to get it drivable again soon.

Tuffy's instructions state that "If any suspension or body lift modification has been done to the vehicle which affected the height of the shift lever the lever will have to be modified." I knew that going in, and I don't really blame them. I just thought it would be easier to "modify the lever". :banghead:

kg4kpg 08-01-2010 12:35 PM

Mine hits the console in quick shifting but always goes into gear with 3 inches of lift. I even still have the t-case lowered an inch. Only think I can think to do would be to get an extension with female threads on one end and male on the other. Machine shop could do it easliy if you have one available. It looks like the mount bolt is in the right spot, you have the console as far back as it can go?

shipjim 08-01-2010 01:08 PM

Boy, I'm glad I didn't install that one I just put in the liner which bolts firmly thru the floor.

Yagermeister 08-03-2010 08:30 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I ended up bending the stock shifter rod just enough to let me shift into all the gears. My dad and I removed the shifter (easy - just 4 bolts once the console's out), used a propane torch and a bench vise, got it real hot, then used a pipe to bend it. Ran it under a spigot, repainted it, and reinstalled it. Works like a charm now! I'll try to post up some pictures when I get home today.

I'm loving the Tuffy console. It looks much more rugged (especially next to my Monstaliner) and I'm no longer apprehensive about leaving the Jeep in a parking lot with the doors and top off. Plus, the stereo controls are right at my fingertips at all times!

kg4kpg 08-03-2010 09:00 AM

Something else you may want to do...lift the from part and put as much insulation as you can all around the inside. Even though there is a rubber boot under the top shift boot, a lot of heat come up through there and the console will get hot. Plus it doesn't have a front wall to block the heat from blowing in around your feet. I have insulation in there, plus some rags to block any holes in the front. Going to remove it and rhino line it plus use better insulation around the shift boot. Still love the console though, the stereo part is where I secure my pistol. Looking forward to your pics.

Laxbros Jeep 08-05-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yagermeister (Post 708212)
I spent yesterday installing my Tuffy Stereo Security Console and new Kenwood stereo. I took my time and everything lined up great and the install came out perfect... except for one minor detail - I can't shift into 2nd or 4th gear! :doh: The shifter knob bangs against the console before it can slide into gear. My Jeep has a 4" lift with transfer case drop, so I guess the shifter doesn't line up with Tuffy's design. Here's a picture:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_0040.jpg

I tried bending the shifter arm back a bit, but it's obviously going to require a torch, which I don't have. Are there any bolt-on solutions I could get away with? Maybe a short throw shifter? I did some forum searching last night and I read one post which mentioned that after installing a short throw shifter (Hurst, I think) their 2nd and 4th gear shifts were even closer to the console than before. Can anyone comment on that?

Relocating the console isn't an option, as it literally takes up the entire length of the interior. I really don't want to return it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I just read your post when serching a similar problem. I have the same set up and I can not find a shifter boot that will fit the Tuffy hole. The stock retaining square is to small. What did you do?

freeskier 08-05-2011 02:03 PM

Tummy tuck will fix that. :D

I would try sliding the whole console back a bit and re drill the holes in the tub.