Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Iowa Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f81/)
-   -   Iowa Mirror Laws (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f81/iowa-mirror-laws-56853.html)

firehawk_1989 08-01-2010 09:45 AM

Iowa Mirror Laws

Does anyone happen to know definitively what they mirror laws in Iowa are? I can't seem to find much searching besides someone who posted the law from who knows when which made it seem as long as the view wasn't obstructed that having just the rear view mirror was enough to be legal. Anyone know for sure? :wavey:

roadsuk 08-02-2010 12:18 PM

Super cheap TJ mirror relocation

Check this thread out from jocci.com (if the link works). Scroll down to the 8th reply I believe. It appears as long as you have the center mirror unobstructed you are good to go. at least, that is what I do. :)

nick50471 08-02-2010 12:23 PM

Side mirrors off isn ok as long as your rearview mirror is clear. No big spare tire or trailer.

Bondgreg 08-18-2010 08:52 AM

I agree, if your rearview is unobstructed your OK. If it is blocked you must have a side view on Drivers side, passenger side is optional.

castorj29 08-18-2010 09:10 AM

In oregon,not needed as long as your back windows are not tinted.

firehawk_1989 08-18-2010 09:13 AM

Cool, thats how I read it, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks!

jkiniowa 05-15-2012 09:38 AM

never had any trouble without mirrors

WarDamn 07-27-2014 07:51 AM

any more info on this? The dealer told me that mirrors were required... but he also told me my jeep had navigation.....which was totally incorrect. :)

firehawk_1989 07-27-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDamn (Post 12233498)
any more info on this? The dealer told me that mirrors were required... but he also told me my jeep had navigation.....which was totally incorrect. :)

I talked with a local officer. The law says you have to have one mirror with a clear view of the rear of the vehicle. So as long as you aren't towing a trailer or have anything else blocking your view, the windshield mounted rearview mirror is enough.

WarDamn, you didn't happen to buy you Jeep in the Quad Cities did you? My salesman was a moron, knew nothing about Jeeps. He told me they didn't make tinted soft top windows, to which I responded "like the ones on that one right there?" I quickly learned I knew much more about Jeeps than he did and didn't take anything he said seriously.

WarDamn 07-27-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk_1989 (Post 12234274)
I talked with a local officer. The law says you have to have one mirror with a clear view of the rear of the vehicle. So as long as you aren't towing a trailer or have anything else blocking your view, the windshield mounted rearview mirror is enough.

WarDamn, you didn't happen to buy you Jeep in the Quad Cities did you? My salesman was a moron, knew nothing about Jeeps. He told me they didn't make tinted soft top windows, to which I responded "like the ones on that one right there?" I quickly learned I knew much more about Jeeps than he did and didn't take anything he said seriously.

lol. yes. I bought it in the QC. The guy was an idiot. I didnt care though. I had done my research and knew what I wanted. I was able to convince him to give me a bunch more on my trade in than he originally proposed, so it worked out.

Thanks for the info!

firehawk_1989 07-27-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDamn (Post 12234562)

lol. yes. I bought it in the QC. The guy was an idiot. I didnt care though. I had done my research and knew what I wanted. I was able to convince him to give me a bunch more on my trade in than he originally proposed, so it worked out.

Thanks for the info!

That's hilarious. Wonder if we had the same guy.