Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Nightmare Gulch and Last Chance Canyon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/nightmare-gulch-and-last-chance-canyon-56979.html)

Cons_Table 08-02-2010 04:18 PM

Nightmare Gulch and Last Chance Canyon

Hey everybody,
I have been hearing things off and on about these two trails, and know that they are close to me. I am having a hard time finding much online that shows me how exactly to get to them. I am finding quite a few pictures of each, but no exact locations. So have any of you guys rode these trails? How difficult are they, and do you have any tips or maps to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again :wavey:

darin.1701 08-02-2010 06:21 PM

I am always wanting to discover new trails. As a result, i would love more information on these trails also

Cons_Table 08-02-2010 06:39 PM

Ya, my understanding is that the trails are no more than half an hour away from me, but I am having a little trouble finding out how exactly to get to them.

530ktm 08-03-2010 08:21 AM

Hi Cons. I have been in the last chance canyon on my dirt bike before and it is off of the 14 over near Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs which is in the Red Rock Canyon area. I am not sure if this is the same but being that you live in that area chances are good. If you have heard of Burro Schmidts tunnel it is in that area and you can find that on the web. There are some decent areas to Jeep in that whole area. Let me know if this is the place you are looking for. I had a good time last weekend on Gold Mountain and look forward to getting together again sometime.

530ktm 08-03-2010 08:35 AM

You can do a search for So Cal Trail Reports from Tiny Terror a while back and it shows this area as well as others.

Cons_Table 08-03-2010 09:28 AM

Ill look into that 530. It should be the same area...red rock is 30 minutes away at most for me and jawbone is about 40-45 minutes. I have heard of burro schmidts tunnels but am still not too familiar with the area. But I will let you know what I find out, because gold mountain was a lot of fun...wish the jeep had been set up just a little more so I could have ran John Bull

30-284 08-03-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 709781)
Hey everybody,
I have been hearing things off and on about these two trails, and know that they are close to me. I am having a hard time finding much online that shows me how exactly to get to them. I am finding quite a few pictures of each, but no exact locations. So have any of you guys rode these trails? How difficult are they, and do you have any tips or maps to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again :wavey:

If you use a gps then check out this link for waypoint downloads for hundreds of trails, last chance canyon is in there.

GPS Downloads : FunTreks Guidebooks

Donn

tlrrob1000 08-04-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 710693)
Ill look into that 530. It should be the same area...red rock is 30 minutes away at most for me and jawbone is about 40-45 minutes. I have heard of burro schmidts tunnels but am still not too familiar with the area. But I will let you know what I find out, because gold mountain was a lot of fun...wish the jeep had been set up just a little more so I could have ran John Bull

35's and you had it brother!:doh:

Cons_Table 08-04-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 711551)
If you use a gps then check out this link for waypoint downloads for hundreds of trails, last chance canyon is in there.

GPS Downloads : FunTreks Guidebooks

Donn

Thats a really good link. Thanks Donn...now all I have to do is figure out the best way to put it in my TomTom

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlrrob1000 (Post 711780)
35's and you had it brother!:doh:

Tell me about it. That will be the next upgrade :punk:

30-284 08-04-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 711987)
Thats a really good link. Thanks Donn...now all I have to do is figure out the best way to put it in my TomTom

Get a real gps, it's much easier to load these waypoints. The turn by turn like garmin, tom-tom and others are ok if you have an address but with waypoint files they are lost. The free program easy gps makes it easy to load these files once the gps is linked the pc.

Donn

Cons_Table 08-04-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 712104)
Get a real gps, it's much easier to load these waypoints. The turn by turn like garmin, tom-tom and others are ok if you have an address but with waypoint files they are lost. The free program easy gps makes it easy to load these files once the gps is linked the pc.

Donn

I sent an email out to TomTom to see if there is a way I can turn it into some sort of POI possibly. If not, the books that are on the site you suggested have longitude and latitude coordinates in them that I can use with the TomTom until I get GPS better suited for offroad trails

30-284 08-04-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 712110)
I sent an email out to TomTom to see if there is a way I can turn it into some sort of POI possibly. If not, the books that are on the site you suggested have longitude and latitude coordinates in them that I can use with the TomTom until I get GPS better suited for offroad trails

Ya It just makes it a pain when you have to enter them 1 number at a time when they are already in a file that most hand held gps will recognize.

Donn

Cons_Table 08-04-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 712494)
Ya It just makes it a pain when you have to enter them 1 number at a time when they are already in a file that most hand held gps will recognize.

Donn

Ill just have to get the trail head coordinates to find the beginning of the trail, then Ill be good to go. Thanks for the help Donn. As far as offroad GPS, what would you guys recommend for functionality and ease of use?

30-284 08-04-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 712510)
Ill just have to get the trail head coordinates to find the beginning of the trail, then Ill be good to go. Thanks for the help Donn. As far as offroad GPS, what would you guys recommend for functionality and ease of use?

Well I am a little biased but I prefer lowrance, I use the Ifinder right (which is a hand held) now as I can load all of the street level info from their software to a memory card and have all of the info for like 4 states at one time in memory this includes all topo elevation lines and even 2 track roads. I think eventually I am going to get the Lowrance baja 540 which uses the same software and is color and a larger screen that mounts on the dash and is built for off road racing so it can handle the ruff stuff.

1 more thing, if you look at a map of the last chance canyon, you will find there is a pot load of roads to get you lost so If I were you I would download one of the free usgs topo maps of this area and print a couple just for reference, remember gps are electronic and we all know what happens at the most inopportune time, so be redundant and bring a map also.

Donn

30-284 08-05-2010 09:33 AM

Also check this out for nightmare gulch.

Dove Springs OHV Guide

Donn

Cons_Table 08-05-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 713206)
Also check this out for nightmare gulch.

Dove Springs OHV Guide

Donn

Good link Donn, That should help a lot.

30-284 08-07-2010 10:20 AM

Here is a map of the last chance canyon, it may help. Also has nightmare gulch.

http://www.deathvalley.com/exploring...lastchance.pdf

Donn

Cons_Table 08-07-2010 11:27 AM

So far, I think that has been the best map, since it has trails and not just coordinates. Thanks again Donn

Cons_Table 08-16-2010 11:30 AM

Update: This last weekend I went out to the Jawbone Visitor's Center and picked up a pretty nice map of the local territory. If anyone's interested, you can pick it up there or order online at Welcome to the Friends of Jawbone. The map is the "Friends of Jawbone Off Highway Vehicle Map"

yomondo 09-07-2010 08:15 PM

So did y'all ever make it out to Last Chance Canyon or Nightmare Gulch? My GPS tracks show Last Chance Canyon trailhead at N35 21.735 W117 53.904 and Nightmare Gulch trailhead at N35 24.220 W117 56.390. Both of these are moderate trails for a Jeep. Nightmare Gulch is only open to 4x4's in the second half of the month July through January.

Cons_Table 09-08-2010 09:27 AM

Ya me and my buddies took a trip out there. It was a nice ride. A lot of challenging sections and some good scenery. Here is a link to a thread with some pics in it.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/tra...nce-58894.html

yomondo 09-08-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 763176)
Ya me and my buddies took a trip out there. It was a nice ride. A lot of challenging sections and some good scenery. Here is a link to a thread with some pics in it.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/tra...nce-58894.html

Right on! Nice pictures. Yah, I like those two trails.

Cons_Table 09-08-2010 10:02 AM

Im glad that they are local, they are def worth going back to again

Kauka 09-23-2010 04:00 AM

Cons,

You need to get together with the Gear Grinders Welcome to the Gear Grinders Website these guys and gals are great people and they run all the time.

Cons_Table 09-23-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kauka (Post 784462)
Cons,

You need to get together with the Gear Grinders Welcome to the Gear Grinders Website these guys and gals are great people and they run all the time.

I have actually looked at their website quite a bit. I am considering joining after the first of the year since there is only like one more official meeting this year. Are you part of them? Which jeep are you?

Kauka 09-23-2010 11:35 PM

No my work schedule hasn't permitted me to attend the meetings and do what I needed to join. However I do work with a couple of guys that are members. I've run with the VP a couple of times also. PM me and I'll see what I can do to get you guys hooked up.

clg82 10-31-2011 03:41 PM

I know this thread is old but I sent you a pm cons

Cons_Table 10-31-2011 03:49 PM

PM sent clg82 :thumb:

QtMcShorty 10-31-2011 06:57 PM

Both great trails and have ran them both a couple times. Will definitely need a good spotter though Nightmare Gulch. Please post up and let me know when you are running it.......

Cons_Table 10-31-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtMcShorty (Post 1708704)
Both great trails and have ran them both a couple times. Will definitely need a good spotter though Nightmare Gulch. Please post up and let me know when you are running it.......

They are great...some of my favorite. Next time you come down this way, let us know...i live 20 minutes away! This trip pops up pretty frequently on the forum, with people always running it :wavey: