Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need more power!!!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-more-power-57164.html)

BigHazard 08-04-2010 01:14 PM

Need more power!!!!!!

My jeep is gutless in 5th, and it still sucks on gas:9lame:

I am spoiled I guess... My f350 has a 100HP programmer on it and even though its on 40's I can pass with the best of them..:firedevil:

I woudl love some info on performance upgrades and how you liked them. I am not interested in cold air intakes or 2-10 horsepower mods really. I want serious results.. I would imagine a programmer / chip is my fist step.

Thanks for you help

Atthehop 08-04-2010 01:19 PM

Buy a hot rod. There is not much you can do for more power and if you search this forum you will see what a waste of mone everything in the marketplace is. But if you insist I have a nice clean bridge in Brooklyn for sale. lol

Therunner 08-04-2010 01:26 PM

There's no replacement for displacement, you want power put a V8 in it.

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 01:30 PM

^^^^^ This!

BigHazard 08-04-2010 01:31 PM

I beg to differ... I put that 100HP tuner on my Diesil and it came to life.. Its mean as hell now. I have a couple of years before I start cutting this jeep up too.

PTaylor 08-04-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHazard (Post 712271)
I beg to differ... I put that 100HP tuner on my Diesil and it came to life.. Its mean as hell now. I have a couple of years before I start cutting this jeep up too.

Yeah, but the same device don't do the same things for Jeeps. that truck you did it to and a Jeep are two different things entirely. You might be able to gain a few horsepower here and there by changing stuff out, upgrading, etc. But there isn't anything out there that will give you 100hp more....not even close to that. next step up is changing the engine, transmission, and gears.

Cons_Table 08-04-2010 01:40 PM

Its kind of hard to compare your chipped, turbo charged V8 to a I6 or I4. There is not much you can do to the jeep that will come close to comparison. Consider regearing.

G54 08-04-2010 01:40 PM

I see you are running 33s. If you are still running stock gearing that is most of the problem. If you have the 5 speed you should have 4.56 gearing. I just jumped from 3.73 to 4.10 with my 33s and it felt like I gained about 50hp.

Edit: Wow - three of us just said the same thing at the same time. I think the general consensus is you need to re-gear. :)

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHazard (Post 712271)

Well, you asked for opinions/options and we gave them to you. What you choose to do with the information provided is entirely up to you. But don't come back whining about how you spent all this $ to beef up the hp and it didn't work... Perhaps the reason you got the advice you did is because someone else already tried it..... Realized it didn't work, and spread the word.

BigHazard 08-04-2010 02:21 PM

I dont mind spending some cash. I just wanted to see who had bought what and what they thought.. its pretty simple... sounded better than just reading what some product alleges what it can do for you. 20 hp is going to make a big difference on a 120hp engine.. that would be over a 15% upgrade.. I know my way around a vehicle.. just wanted to get some feed back on a chip or throttle body spacer someone had purchesed..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 712287)
Its kind of hard to compare your chipped, turbo charged V8 to a I6 or I4. There is not much you can do to the jeep that will come close to comparison. Consider regearing.

I also know quite a bit about engines, I know nothing I put on that jeep will give a 100HP

BigHazard 08-04-2010 02:25 PM

but your opinion is based off of what? You dont have any performance mods on yours? I am not being rude, and I hope I don't come across that way. Like I said before.. just looking for info from someone that has purchased the equip and see what they thought.
Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 712308)
Well, you asked for opinions/options and we gave them to you. What you choose to do with the information provided is entirely up to you. But don't come back whining about how you spent all this $ to beef up the hp and it didn't work... Perhaps the reason you got the advice you did is because someone else already tried it..... Realized it didn't work, and spread the word.

Jerry Bransford 08-04-2010 02:45 PM

You're running 33" tires, your existing axle ratio is too high for the bigger tires which is why your Jeep doesn't perform as desired. Regear your axles to 4.56 and your power will be fully restored. This is the only realistic thing you can do that will actually restore the lost power. Even installing a V8 would have to overcome that improper axle ratio.

BigHazard 08-04-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks Jerry.... do you use first with the 4.56?

Jerry Bransford 08-04-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHazard (Post 712400)
Thanks Jerry.... do you use first with the 4.56?

Yes. And the 4.56 recommendation assumes your engine is the 4.0L. With the 2.5L engine, the appropriate ratio for 33" tires would be 4.88 instead.

Ibuildembig 08-04-2010 03:06 PM

Pops YJ screams... it will actually take a stock camero or mustang light to light with 33's. 4:56 gears, JET chip, exhaust, custom air intake, and motorcraft plugs

lwszabo 08-04-2010 03:10 PM

get and Edge Trail Jammer!!!!

BigHazard 08-04-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 712411)
Yes. And the 4.56 recommendation assumes your engine is the 4.0L. With the 2.5L engine, the appropriate ratio for 33" tires would be 4.88 instead.

yeah Jerry I got a 4.0, I am at a toss up with the gears because if I am going to change them out I think I want to get completely different housings.. I seen the dana 60s for a jeep but they cost more than my jeep did

lwszabo 08-04-2010 03:25 PM

The Edget Trail Jammer kit is the real deal. I have drove a "stock" 4.0 and a 4.0 with the edge kit and there is a huge seat of the pants difference. Its exspensive but not way out of line.

Indy 08-04-2010 03:27 PM

Regear first and if still need more power then ... stroke it, put a supercharger/turbo on it or a chevy 350.

Wildkarde 08-04-2010 03:36 PM

Supercharger....Would need some tuning but out side of a complete engine swap its is your best bet to get a real increase in power while retaining drivablity from any type of "bolt on"

Other option is to stroke it out to 4.6 or 4.7. Bit more labor intensive though.

Either way as others have said regearing will need to be done no matter what route you take.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Oswald 08-04-2010 04:04 PM

I plan to put a 5.7 hemi in mine... that is, once I can get some cash.

village idiot 08-04-2010 04:34 PM

Well, Hazard, you state that you don't mind spending some cash. So what you need is this:

Burnsville OffRoad - Home

This will fulfill your cash spending tendencies and will provide a monumental performance boost.

I took the plunge for their 6.1 Hemi install a year and a half ago, and it's been a great experience. There've been zero issues, and the 420 horsepower makes it a little rocket. Be aware the price includes much more than just the engine, see their web site. They did a great job for me, and only a 2 - 3 week turnaround turnkey.

Bobthegod 08-04-2010 05:27 PM

Put in a HEMI here>>>> Hemi Conversions, Parts, and Kits by JSS

Vaultzz 08-04-2010 05:43 PM

More Power?

But I'm givin er all shes got Capin!

http://diplograph.net/files/2009-11/24.jpg

catITguy 08-04-2010 06:25 PM

Well I would call some of the comments on the page questionable, but thats just me.

Personally, I have a Banks cat back exhaust. I think they advertise a bit of a performance gain, but I cant feel it. It sounds better though, and that was my primary motivation when buying it.

Regearing will make your Jeep feel quicker.

Dr Gonzo 08-04-2010 06:32 PM

What kind of gears would you put in a 2.5L riding on 31"s? I was thinking 4.56, at least until I get the scratch together for the 350 and an auto trans (YEARS from now).

Jerry Bransford 08-04-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 712595)
What kind of gears would you put in a 2.5L riding on 31"s?

I wouldn't regear until you get to 33" tires and then go to 4.88 gearing once there. That 4.88 recommendation assumes your 2.5L has the 5-speed tranny connected to it.

Dr Gonzo 08-04-2010 06:57 PM

Yeah, it's the manual, but it just has no balls whatsoever. I thought some shorter gears would help out a bit with getting up to speed on the road. My rig is a weekend warrior, so in never sees the highway unless I take it to the sand dunes or something (pretty rare). Off-road, the gearing is "ok" for what I normally do, but I still feel like I'm in-between gears, if you know what I mean; it seems like I'm always going too fast for first, but two slow for second, or too fast for second and too slow for third. In low-range, I'm CONSTANTLY switching between third fourth and fifth.

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHazard (Post 712355)
but your opinion is based off of what? You dont have any performance mods on yours? I am not being rude, and I hope I don't come across that way. Like I said before.. just looking for info from someone that has purchased the equip and see what they thought.

My opinion is based on information I have read in several forums. I do not have any performance mods on mine. I have 33's with 3:07 gears, so I do have a feeling for what you are dealing with. However, I have an auto, and I live in flat land, so my gears aren't much of a problem for me. Mine will go 80 on the highway all day long, uphill it slows a bit, but it's a non issue for me. I have a car for the occasions when I need to burn some rubber.... :)

I apologize for sounding so bitchy before, I didn't mean to come across that way. The point I was trying to make is that you aren't likely to find many who have tried all the easy fixes for adding power to an I6, because those who have tried and failed, usually don't want to admit their failure, and the rest of us learned from the few who did admit their failure. Regearing, as you've been told will help regain what was lost to tire size, and if you need more then dropping a hemi in it will certainly help, as would stroking it or supercharging it...

Good luck with what ever you decide, and please let us know how it turns out. :)

Jerry Bransford 08-04-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 712632)
Yeah, it's the manual, but it just has no balls whatsoever. I thought some shorter gears would help out a bit with getting up to speed on the road. My rig is a weekend warrior, so in never sees the highway unless I take it to the sand dunes or something (pretty rare). Off-road, the gearing is "ok" for what I normally do, but I still feel like I'm in-between gears, if you know what I mean; it seems like I'm always going too fast for first, but two slow for second, or too fast for second and too slow for third. In low-range, I'm CONSTANTLY switching between third fourth and fifth.

I hear you but your axle ratio is already 4.10 and it's pretty close to $1100-1200 to regear to something like 4.56. That ratio not different enough from your existing 4.10 to warrant the $1200 cost unless $$$ is no problem for you.