Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   talk me off this ledge (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/talk-me-off-this-ledge-57166.html)

mudslinger150 08-04-2010 01:25 PM

talk me off this ledge

I don't know what it is but I hate my Jeep right now....I can't stand the way it rides, the way it's so loud, how its not really 100% water proof and after a good rain it smells a bit musty. I hate that i can only go 170 mile before I have to fill up for $35. I'm just not in the jeep mood right now.

and my manifold is a little leaky so its starting to sound like ass crack

toshpate 08-04-2010 01:39 PM

welcome to the real joys of jeep ownership, would love a sweet smelling air conditioned vehicle with a warranty oh and leather and heated seats, man I miss my yukon sometimes

Atthehop 08-04-2010 01:44 PM

All my co workers do not understand the jeep thing, it's been over 10 years in one and would not trade it for anything else. pesonal preference for me. My wife of 34 years hates it. But it's mine and not hers.

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 01:46 PM

Well, some of those things you hate are pretty easy to fix... Change the exhaust if it's too loud, check the air pressure in your tires if it's not riding well, maybe change the shocks... The leak proof part should be fixable....

Brad[LK1] 08-04-2010 01:48 PM

JUMP!!!!! oh oh sorry...i mean welcome to the Jeep world....only gets better

TroyD 08-04-2010 01:53 PM

yeah,, sounds like its a real piece.................go out and getcha somethin better, then sign the Jeeps title and mail it to:

Troy D.
Roanoke VA 24090

PTaylor 08-04-2010 01:58 PM

Yeah, they can be aggravating.

Just a quick question: Have you ever thought about getting a secondary vehicle?

Keeping the jeep but having something that you can drive back and forth that is more comfortable, better gas mileage, etc...

It's actually cheaper on my insurance that way also.

It's cheaper for me to own a Jeep and something else than it is to just own my Jeep. No lie, no joke. I know that doesn't make sense, but think about it, you buy some beat up car for near nothing to run up the mileage on, you save on gas. extend the life and value of the Jeep. when you want to go "Jeeping" or whatever, you have it.

So what if you are not driving the Jeep back and forth to work or wherever every day, it's not like every day my ride to work is enhanced by owning a Jeep!

Call your insurance company and talk to them about having some other vehicle as the primary vehicle and what the Jeep qualifies as.

cavediverjc 08-04-2010 02:00 PM

Sell it. Buy an H2. Go to the mall. Buy some ties. Get a desk job. Stare at a computer all day. Then you'll wish you still had your Jeep.

It's not just a vehicle, it's a lifestyle.

NHEric 08-04-2010 02:00 PM

Nah - give up on it. I'll give you $1.50 for it. I can pick it up Sunday evening.

cavediverjc 08-04-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTaylor (Post 712313)
Yeah, they can be aggravating.

Just a quick question: Have you ever thought about getting a secondary vehicle?

Keeping the jeep but having something that you can drive back and forth that is more comfortable, better gas mileage, etc...

It's actually cheaper on my insurance that way also.

It's cheaper for me to own a Jeep and something else than it is to just own my Jeep. No lie, no joke. I know that doesn't make sense, but think about it, you buy some beat up car for near nothing to run up the mileage on, you save on gas. extend the life and value of the Jeep. when you want to go "Jeeping" or whatever, you have it.

So what if you are not driving the Jeep back and forth to work or wherever every day, it's not like every day my ride to work is enhanced by owning a Jeep!

Call your insurance company and talk to them about having some other vehicle as the primary vehicle and what the Jeep qualifies as.

Agreed. It's cheaper for me to fully insure both my 2005 Jeep and my 2002 Yamaha R1 as well as liability on my 2000 Ranger than it is for me to fully insure just my Jeep. USAA offers a HUGE discount for insuring multiple vehicles. It's just for military though, I believe.

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 02:09 PM

You can get USAA if you are former military too...iirc...

PTaylor 08-04-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 712319)
Agreed. It's cheaper for me to fully insure both my 2005 Jeep and my 2002 Yamaha R1 as well as liability on my 2000 Ranger than it is for me to fully insure just my Jeep. USAA offers a HUGE discount for insuring multiple vehicles. It's just for military though, I believe.

BINGO!

If I didn't have multiple vehicles, there is no way I would be able to afford my Jeep by itself!

Mr. Sinister 08-04-2010 02:22 PM

my dad worked with a guy who had an old willys jeep. no heat, no defrost, canvas top. he drove that thing all the way down i-95 from philly to fair hill, md. (about 50 miles) in the dead of winter, in the snow, in the rain, in the heat, you name it, for YEARS. you know what he'd tell you? MAN UP, YOU DRIVE A DAMN CADILLAC IN COMPARISON!!! :D

CubbieBlue 08-04-2010 02:27 PM

I just sold mine for a vehicle that gets 40 mpg hwy and I am loving it!

I think I will buy another Jeep in a few years that is old, used, and cheap.

I think having the Jeep as your sole primary driver is a mistake. It was for me at least.

lethaljeep 08-04-2010 02:34 PM

My jeep is a daily driver and I love it. I've had it for 13 years. It rides high, tires roar, and goes anywhere I want it to. Tired of waiting in traffic, jump a curb. Bored at the light look down into the girls blouse next to you. If it rains, get wet! Best of all its American made! Quit crying and get yourself a Prius!:flipoff:

Kate 08-04-2010 02:44 PM

Ok, I'll bump the offer to $100 for your Jeep, but that's it.

Sometimes we just get tired. Sounds like you are.
Before I'd say to run out and sell it, if it's within your means to buy a second vehicle, that would be the best option.

If it isn't and after you fix the things that are wrong with it, and you still hate it then by all means trade it in so it can find a home. The next person will get some joy from it. Then you'll have something that makes you happy, the Jeep will be happy and so will some other guy. Just think of all the good you could be doing! :D

I, on the other hand will have my Jeep until I am too old and crippled to climb my fat butt up into it. Well, unless of course in about 10 years when my grandson gets all grown up, and IF he's a really good kid with good grades I MIGHT think about giving it to him. But man... it's gonna be a bad azz sumunagun by then!

cavediverjc 08-04-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 712328)
You can get USAA if you are former military too...iirc...

That's what I meant. Meaning unless you ARE or WERE military.

Indy 08-04-2010 03:56 PM

Take your Jeep where it belongs .... and then come back here and tell us if you still hate it.

TerrorJ2001 08-04-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 712315)
Sell it. Buy an H2. Go to the mall. Buy some ties. Get a desk job. Stare at a computer all day. Then you'll wish you still had your Jeep.

It's not just a vehicle, it's a lifestyle.

aight bud, I've been to the mall, got me some ties for my 5ft by 5ft cubicle desk job and stare at.... this forum for 7 of 8 hours a day :p

never will get a hummer (nor could I afford it)

It may not be a complete lifestyle for me, but being a weekend warrior aint so bad

cavediverjc 08-04-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrorJ2001 (Post 712460)
aight bud, I've been to the mall, got me some ties for my 5ft by 5ft cubicle desk job and stare at.... this forum for 7 of 8 hours a day :p

never will get a hummer (nor could I afford it)

It may not be a complete lifestyle for me, but being a weekend warrior aint so bad

It's a start! A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step...... :D

cdridgley 08-04-2010 05:17 PM

I agree with you here, nothing better than jumping a curb and pissing off a bunch of people sitting in traffic with no where to go. I wouldn't trade mine in for anything even though my ac doesn't work. Who cares!!

biffman 08-04-2010 05:18 PM

^^As I sit here in my cubicle, sans tie, keeping tabs on what's going on in the fun world. Could be worse though, at least I have an extra large cube that overlooks a golf course so I get to watch other people have fun all day. And yes, being a weekend warrior is ok for now with me.

Bobthegod 08-04-2010 05:21 PM

First off get back on some pavement....you're off road right now. That'll cure the ride problem.

Second, take it out of 4L...get back to 2H. That'll cure the mileage problem.

Third, get a can of Febreeze. That'll cure the musty smell.

Fourth, Turn up the stereo (with your favorite music).....nuff said.

Good luck and hey get over it, it's a Jeep....remember.

FREDO 4X4 08-04-2010 05:27 PM

What would you like to have besides a jeep? I owned alot of stuff and when i bought a jeep it was the only time i felt like i was part of something. Its like buying a jeep puts you in a gang whether you like it or not. But ya i own a honda fit for gas mileage. So ya maybe think about buying a second vehicle for when you are having a bad day. I know its rare i want to drive my honda fit very rare.

pokey 08-04-2010 05:44 PM

Sometimes relationships just run their course. If you think it's the end of the line your jeep is picking up on that and thinking the same thing about you.

Just remember the grass is never greener.

Like the sweet girl you want to bring home to meet your mother.

After awhile you realize the one who was rough around the edges was a lot more fun....;)

Vaultzz 08-04-2010 05:45 PM

You only get 170 miles per tank?? Wow I get at least 260, I say you sell it and buy a better one :D

doclouie 08-04-2010 05:46 PM

I have owned Jeeps, Porsches and a 55 Chevy. I love my Jeep more than all of them.

Fweaky 08-04-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaultzz (Post 712553)
You only get 170 miles per tank?? Wow I get at least 260, I say you sell it and buy a better one :D

Damn! I only get 135 miles per tank!...I can drive to Nags Head from home which is 175 miles and it take a tank and a half in the YJ. The same trip in my wifes JK takes a third of a tank! The JK gets 23 mpg on the road and I still prefer to take the YJ.

Dr Gonzo 08-04-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 712319)

I just added my new toy to my USAA account... and it still wasn't that cheap. It added almost $200 onto my six-month bill, with bare minimums, $1,000 deductible, and just comprehensive added (because Jeeps are notoriously easy to break into/steal). I got rid of my VTX because I didn't want the extra $30 a month added to my insurance for something I barely drove, and instead got a Jeep that added $35.

I don't understand it because it's not like I can drive two vehicles at the same time, you know? The comprehensive wasn't even the expensive part. F--- Michigan and all the stupid laws here.

KBR97 08-04-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 712265)
I don't know what it is but I hate my Jeep right now....

its a phase.....this too shall pass.