Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Looking to get my first jeep... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/looking-to-get-my-first-jeep-57218.html)

UMDTerp87 08-04-2010 10:04 PM

Looking to get my first jeep...
 
My old Cougar is pretty much toast, and I'm sick of a small car. I love the look of the new 4 door wranglers, and I'm seriously considering getting one.

Here's my main questions. From what I've read, you guys seem to tell people not interested in off roading to just look at a different car. I really have little intention to take it off the road, I doubt I ever would. I really am only interested because I love the way it looks. It would also be a daily driver. Can you guys recommend a certain model, or would you tell me to just look for a different car?

Thanks.

nick50471 08-04-2010 10:08 PM

I would never tell anyone to buy a car. I would never tell anyone to buy a 4dr Wrangler either. I like the 2dr Wranglers. But to each his own.

pdubois64 08-04-2010 10:18 PM

I bought mine more for getting around in the snow than off roading...but I do plan on someday doing some off roading. For models either the Sport or the Sahara depending on your budget. The Sahara is a little more "street" looking.

UMDTerp87 08-04-2010 10:24 PM

I live in Maryland, occasionally we'll get a nice snow, but it's not too common and I would never need to buy a car because of it. Honestly, I just love the way it looks. Which of the 4 door's is the most 'daily driver' type car?

daggo66 08-04-2010 10:26 PM

If you don't plan on taking it off road then stay away from the Rubicon. That model has special features that you would never use unless you took it off road. The Sport is the base model that can be optioned upward. the Sahara comes with all of the creature comforts ( as much as there is in a Wrangler anyway) Even if you never take it off road, you'll never own a more fun vehicle. People here are less touchy about not taking it off road than they are about calling it a "car".
Don't let it bother you. The large majority of Wrangler owners never take them off road.

UMDTerp87 08-04-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 712903)
If you don't plan on taking it off road then stay away from the Rubicon. That model has special features that you would never use unless you took it off road. The Sport is the base model that can be optioned upward. the Sahara comes with all of the creature comforts ( as much as there is in a Wrangler anyway) Even if you never take it off road, you'll never own a more fun vehicle. People here are less touchy about not taking it off road than they are about calling it a "car".
Don't let it bother you. The large majority of Wrangler owners never take them off road.

haha oops, I can see how calling it a car here would be a no-no.

So you would consider the sport and the sahara similar in terms of their off roading ability? The difference being the sahara is more luxurious?

InfernoGirl 08-04-2010 11:01 PM

Yes. :) Sahara's have more luxury features than the X or Sport or what ever they call them now. The differences are cosmetic. Don't be mislead, a base model will do very well offroad even stock (except the crappy tires). Take one for a nice test drive, on all kinds of roads, bumpy ones and hilly ones and highway, and see for your self. Even on road if you are a "Jeep" person, you'll love it! If you aren't, you'll find out soon enough...They aren't the quietest, smoothest vehicles out there, they are the most fun!

Welcome to the forum, and if you get one don't forget to wave! :)

STxWrangler 08-04-2010 11:55 PM

They are fun to drive. ummm.....get a stick shift ..manual transmission.

UMDTerp87 08-05-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STxWrangler (Post 712973)
They are fun to drive. ummm.....get a stick shift ..manual transmission.

Yea I want a stick. Are they uncommon in stick?

daggo66 08-05-2010 06:11 AM

Sahara's might be, but I really don't know. Is it save to assume from your screen name that you are somewhere in MD?

mariner09 08-05-2010 07:10 AM

Stay away from the stick if you drive in a lot of traffic. That Baltimore beltway can be a pain.

I got an 09 wrangler x sport about a month ago and I love it. Have an automatic and I plan on adding cruise control.

NJParrothead 08-05-2010 07:14 AM

I have a 2 door sport, soft top, 6 speed, I use it as a daily driver 50 miles a day, and love it!!!:wavey:

daggo66 08-05-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariner09 (Post 713082)
Stay away from the stick if you drive in a lot of traffic. That Baltimore beltway can be a pain.

I got an 09 wrangler x sport about a month ago and I love it. Have an automatic and I plan on adding cruise control.

I totally disgree with that. Stick or auto is a matter of personal preference. Drving a stick in traffic is in no way a pain for me. It has become so "automatic" that I don't even notice.

Sask. Jeep 08-05-2010 07:53 AM

Driving my fist but not last Jeep (2010 Sahara 2 door 6 speed man. full load) love it. Bought it as a toy and for the last 2 1/2 month have only drove the 07 expedition for a couple of days one was when the jeep was booked in for an oil change.
I agree with the others is to test drive one first, but be carefull you may get JEEP FEVER like the rest of us

RaiderRUBICON 08-05-2010 07:55 AM

I have an 08 Rubicon,and I like it very much.I do not go offroad anymore haven't since 03.I drive it often,probably more often than any other car I own,I guess that makes it a daily driver.I have to admit,I call my Rubicon a car sometimes,lol. I will always have a Wrangler,I may not use it to its full potential ,but I just love it. I believe you will love your Jeep no matter what model you choose. Good luck!!!

PS I certainly don't call my car a rig.:) to me rigs were only in the movie "Convoy" . You had to have 16 wheels to be a "rig". Is it obvious I grew up near a city.;)

ddbowdoin 08-05-2010 08:09 AM

do it... its a hell of a ride. I grew up in a simply cherokee, no bells or whistles and I drove it into the grave. I loved being in an suv, higher up, and knowing I could barell through any snow storm. I traded her in during the clunkers and picked up a lancer gts, aweful choice. 9 months later I moved on a brand new 2010 wrangler sport, and I love it.

ddbowdoin 08-05-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 713109)
I totally disgree with that. Stick or auto is a matter of personal preference. Drving a stick in traffic is in no way a pain for me. It has become so "automatic" that I don't even notice.

I wish I knew how to drive stick, I could have spent the extra money from the auto trans on some other mods. I just didn't want to drop 24K into a vehicle and learn on the vehicle, monthly payments are a big deal to me I suppose. I wish I could have learned on a POS 89 truck or something then just picked up a manual jeep and been 100% ready from the start, oh well.

corima 08-05-2010 08:59 AM

Don't settle on one based on looks. You really need a test drive.

Brigadigit 08-05-2010 09:19 AM

I just got my first Jeep 3 weeks ago. I went from an 03' Cobra to the Jeep. I test drove both the stick and auto, but ultimately went with the stick because that's what I am comfortable with. I have a 4dr Sahara, and I LOVE it. Best decision ever, it's my daily but I have a beach pass for it already, took it on some small trails, and I REALLY can't wait for snow!

JIMBOX 08-05-2010 09:44 AM

:cool: Just for grins-I drove my first jeep in 1954 (CJ-2) and, of course, it was a stick !!

I've had 5 corvettes--ALL STICKS

I've had 3 Ford Ranger 4x4--all sticks--then!!

I started with Dodge 4x4-Ramchargers, powerwagons--AUTO

I've raced Dodge Challenger and Plymouth "CUDA" (1970/1973)--auto (drags)

I won't have a stick anymore and like Dag says--"it's individual preferance"!!

If I was young and was buying a NEW jeep-I'd get a stick, especially if it was gonna be a DD--then you will start the learning process !!

One of the deciding factors is, your living area--ie: big/little city/country/island/weather/snow, it'll all figure in your decision--that YOU make !

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Mr. Sinister 08-05-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMDTerp87 (Post 712897)
I live in Maryland, occasionally we'll get a nice snow, but it's not too common and I would never need to buy a car because of it. Honestly, I just love the way it looks. Which of the 4 door's is the most 'daily driver' type car?

i said that too, until we got 12+ feet of snow last winter!! :D

i just got a 2 door sport last friday and i love it. it's my daily driver and i'm still regretting not having gotten one sooner. jeeps are as perfect a vehicle as you can get in my mind. simple, rugged, go anywhere, convertible, easy to work on, tons of aftermarket support, great resale value......

UMDTerp87 08-05-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 713221)
i said that too, until we got 12+ feet of snow last winter!! :D

i just got a 2 door sport last friday and i love it. it's my daily driver and i'm still regretting not having gotten one sooner. jeeps are as perfect a vehicle as you can get in my mind. simple, rugged, go anywhere, convertible, easy to work on, tons of aftermarket support, great resale value......

haha yea, this winter was ridiculous. I got 11 feet total, so I guess it could come in handy.

I've only driven a stick, so I'd probably stick with that, even though I do do (haha) city driving. I'll definitely test one before I purchase one.

Mr. Sinister 08-05-2010 10:15 AM

i test drove both and went with the auto. i didn't like the feel, action or placement of the clutch pedal. it was too light, the engagement point was all the way at the top (which i hate) and i didn't like where i had to put my seat to be able to push the clutch to the floor. it also just felt REALLY sluggish off the line.
it's all personal preference, though.

SLIM_SNOOPY 08-05-2010 10:37 AM

Hello WF Members: :wavey:

As everyone pointed out already, Jeep Wranglers are awsome vehicles. One of the few vehicles left that you can actually work on with ease and have solid axles. So much room to work in the engine bay area. My only regret was never buying one sooner.

Since you are looking for a cruising Rig, you might want to look at the Mountain or Islander Packages. Basically they already have the Bigger tires " 33's" and some other apperance options, without the rubi's lockers and Electric Steering Stabilizer Disconnect. Average asking price in the Northeast for a loaded 2 door Mountain is under 30,000 sticker price.

I went with a 2 door sport with the B package, which is a small step up ; Crusie Control , Bigger tires with the alloys, temp / gas eco readout.

Be aware, that Chrysler dealers know the Wranglers are their top sellers , Be patient, play the game and you will get one if you play the game right,,,lol:punk:

Good luck, post a picture went you get yours.


:blunt: SLIM_SNOOPY :blunt:

ddbowdoin 08-05-2010 10:39 AM

If I knew how to drive stick I would have picked up the manual so I could have saved roughly a grand in extra charges.

ddbowdoin 08-05-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY (Post 713261)

Be aware, that Chrysler dealers know the Wranglers are their top sellers , Be patient, play the game and you will get one if you play the game right,,,lol:punk:

Good luck, post a picture went you get yours.


:blunt: SLIM_SNOOPY :blunt:

amen to that... I looked for months. I was initially considering an 07 or newer JK with low miles, something like a lease trade in. Basically, I found low miles with massive sticker prices. I even found a 2004 limited with a sticker price of just under 20K, with almost 60K miles on it. I was a little discouraged, then one day I strolled into a local Jeep dealer and they offered me a brand new 10' sport for 21K. 3 year old used models were only 1K cheaper. Go figure

Klenger 08-05-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 713266)
amen to that... I looked for months. I was initially considering an 07 or newer JK with low miles, something like a lease trade in. Basically, I found low miles with massive sticker prices. I even found a 2004 limited with a sticker price of just under 20K, with almost 60K miles on it. I was a little discouraged, then one day I strolled into a local Jeep dealer and they offered me a brand new 10' sport for 21K. 3 year old used models were only 1K cheaper. Go figure

I think that's why the dealers price the used ones so high. Sell more new vehicles. Seems to be very common.

Mr. Sinister 08-05-2010 10:50 AM

oh yeah, AND SIGN UP FOR A TREAD LIGHTLY MEMBERSHIP!!!!! 1% BELOW invoice pricing. i did it, it saved me about $1700!!

UMDTerp87 08-05-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 713266)
amen to that... I looked for months. I was initially considering an 07 or newer JK with low miles, something like a lease trade in. Basically, I found low miles with massive sticker prices. I even found a 2004 limited with a sticker price of just under 20K, with almost 60K miles on it. I was a little discouraged, then one day I strolled into a local Jeep dealer and they offered me a brand new 10' sport for 21K. 3 year old used models were only 1K cheaper. Go figure

Wow, that seems like a great price.

I dont really think I need a very luxurious car, so I was looking at the X (or sport? Is it the same thing?) and found that many of them do not come with automatic windows. While I don't need luxury, automatic windows is something I'd pay a little extra for. What's the deal with that, I didn't even know cars were made without automatic windows anymore.

InfernoGirl 08-05-2010 10:57 AM

Ha! They make them with zipper window still, thank God! I wouldn't have it any other way..... :D Full doors would be a deal breaker for me....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.