Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Newbie From CT!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/newbie-from-ct-57268.html)

CBR01TJ 08-05-2010 03:44 PM

Newbie From CT!!

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

my names chris, im 18 and i just thought i would check in and tell you all about my new Wrangler i just Bought.

Its a 2001 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE (4cyl). It has about 110xxx miles on it and looks real clean. I saved almost every penny i earned and i bought it for 6500$$ from a dealer in Port Chester, New York. (about an hour ride down I95)

I think it has mickey thompson classic II rims on it?? or something that looks alot like them. and only has a soft top thats in alright condition. currently has H/T tires but im gettin Destination A/T's soon.

Well if you dont mind helping a Newbie out i have a few questions....

1. How are the destination a/t's? im going to be doing alot of commuting for school and work and such so i want a tire thats agressive lookin but good for driving as well.

2. Everything about the jeep looks and sounds good but is there anything in particular i should be lookin for body or engine/ drivetrain wise. Im good with cars im going to school for automotive and really love this jeep so i want it to last me for a while. So anything that i should be lookin for on a 100000 mile 4 cyl engine would be greatly appreciated.

3. And my last question is..... when i was driving it home from Port Chester i went up the ramp to I95 and everything felt great til i hit 50mph. then it started to shake pretty badly. once i got home i noticed a lug missing on the right front tire (dont know how i missed that in the first place) so i brought it to a town fair tire and they said i needed new tires as well because the side of the tires were cracking and they were dry rotted as well. so all im wondering is if the tires and lug would cause the shaking or is there something else i should look for. (the shaking was pretty violent)

thats it for now. thanks alot and let me know what you think of my jeep

- chris

here are some pics..

Attachment 22427

Attachment 22428

Attachment 22429

Attachment 22430

Attachment 22431

MTWanderer 08-05-2010 04:46 PM

Greetings from Rhode Island and Welcome to the Forum.

That is a good looking jeep ... and a great platform to build upon.

We have Destination AT on our Wrangler, they are good for a daily driver. Handle the wet snow that is common to southern New England winters, and have been very good on the beach when properly aired down.

So it sounds like you have encountered a slight case of death wobble. There is a good sticky thread on the topic, which I recommend that you read. Tires are a common cause of the shaking that you experienced. Since you need tires, get decent tires (the Destination AT or Goodyear DuraTrac look and perform great) have them carefully balanced and see if that solves our wobble. Post up a follow-up in the TJ forum to let us know how you are getting along.

CBR01TJ 08-05-2010 05:06 PM

thanks and yeah its great i love it so much and i only owned it for 2 days haha.

i sure hope its the tires. im gettin some destination a/t's on sunday morning. ill be sure to let ya know if it fixes the problem. i sure hope it does since im commuting from southern CT to upstate CT for school... but we ll see haha. thanks again

HotTinRoof 08-05-2010 05:51 PM

Chris, IMO you got that for a decent price. They go for more up here in the Boston area - especially from a dealer.

Barrie 08-05-2010 06:01 PM

Welcome.:wavey:

blkrubi88 08-05-2010 06:09 PM

Congrats and welcome!

CBR01TJ 08-05-2010 06:10 PM

thanks for the welcomes lol. and yeah i agree they are usually priced higher here too but hey better for me. haha. does anyone know of any problems with 4 cylinders that would occur around 100k miles. i just wanna make sure my jeep lasts for a long long time and when the engine dies... ill get a new one and then itll last even longer lol

JDsDream 08-05-2010 08:32 PM

Welcome to the forum. Great looking jeep.