Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Pics Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/)
-   -   Leaky mirrors (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/leaky-mirrors-57312.html)

Echo 08-05-2010 10:55 PM

Leaky mirrors
 
Not to belabor the point, but every time I washed my 2010 Jeep Unlimited it would drip water from the mirrors for hours. It's not the streak of water on the front doors that bothered me, it was the knowledge that a pool of water submerging the mounting bracket, bolts, and body of the that area was not a good thing for my Jeep. I knew that eventually it was going to rust in an area I couldn't see. So I listened to a "Jimbox" suggestion on this forum that suggested that I drill a 1/8" hole on the underside of the mirror housing where it was attached to the door. Actually, since it can't be seen anyhow, I drilled a 3/8" hole. The test was when I washed my Jeep today, even though the car wash uses an air compressor/hose to help them dry the cars, my Jeep didn't have one drop of water left over to leak out of the mirror housing.

I bring this simple but important fix up because anyone that notices water streaming down their front doors from the bottom of the mirrors across their front hinges after a wash should be aware of why it's happening, and what it could cause. It is a design flaw, Jeep should have a drain hole in the mirror housing to prevent potential rust. The hole behind the glass mirror is over 1" in diameter and Jeep provided no way for the water entering that hole to escape. "Jimbox" gave me the solution. Common sense solutions found here, this forum rocks. :appl:

JIMBOX 08-06-2010 08:12 AM

:D Thanx Echo, it does seem stupid that JEEP would outfit their jeeps like this !


Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo (Post 714109)
Not to belabor the point, but every time I washed my 2010 Jeep Unlimited it would drip water from the mirrors for hours. It's not the streak of water on the front doors that bothered me, it was the knowledge that a pool of water submerging the mounting bracket, bolts, and body of the that area was not a good thing for my Jeep. I knew that eventually it was going to rust in an area I couldn't see. So I listened to a "Jimbox" suggestion on this forum that suggested that I drill a 1/8" hole on the underside of the mirror housing where it was attached to the door. Actually, since it can't be seen anyhow, I drilled a 3/8" hole. The test was when I washed my Jeep today, even though the car wash uses an air compressor/hose to help them dry the cars, my Jeep didn't have one drop of water left over to leak out of the mirror housing.

I bring this simple but important fix up because anyone that notices water streaming down their front doors from the bottom of the mirrors across their front hinges after a wash should be aware of why it's happening, and what it could cause. It is a design flaw, Jeep should have a drain hole in the mirror housing to prevent potential rust. The hole behind the glass mirror is over 1" in diameter and Jeep provided no way for the water entering that hole to escape. "Jimbox" gave me the solution. Common sense solutions found here, this forum rocks. :appl:



I've never heard of any other auto mfg's mirror behaving like this, so we just have to bite the bullet and do this simple mod--no biggee and

I sure didn't invent this mod, I just heard about it before I got my JKU !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

scottwmckenna 08-06-2010 09:08 AM

This is interesting that you post this. I have the same issue obviously with my 2010 Unlimited, and it bothers me in a major way. Would you possibly be so kind and post a picture of what you did and where you drilled? I'd like to do this to my Jeep.

Thanks so much!

JIMBOX 08-06-2010 09:24 AM

:cool: Sorry I can't get a pic, cause I'm not with my jeep and

I didn't doit to mine, don't need to, the jeep is garaged and I've modified the mirror internally--no pics

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

drivebytruckerz 08-06-2010 10:02 AM

I used to have a ford ranger that would get moisture in the headlight and blow the bulbs.. I drilled a hole near the bottom and they would drain.. anyways..

Jeep needs to address this.

gdub 08-06-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 714389)

I didn't doit to mine, don't need to, the jeep is garaged and I've modified the mirror internally--no pics

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

So - the obvious question is - what did you do internally - LOL...

I am fine with the drill work - although it seems there are a couple places to drill it being given - I prefer the hole under the arm vs. the base myself. But if there is something that is out of sight out of mind - would be interested in that possibly as well...

BTW - that's one slick rig you have jBox...

JIMBOX 08-06-2010 10:31 AM

:D Thanx gdub-but I don't do writeups and the internal mods are obvious !!


Quote:

Originally Posted by gdub (Post 714435)
So - the obvious question is - what did you do internally - LOL...

I am fine with the drill work - although it seems there are a couple places to drill it being given - I prefer the hole under the arm vs. the base myself. But if there is something that is out of sight out of mind - would be interested in that possibly as well...

BTW - that's one slick rig you have jBox...

Plastic/silicone--:zap::zap:

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Echo 08-06-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdub (Post 714435)
So - the obvious question is - what did you do internally - LOL...

I am fine with the drill work - although it seems there are a couple places to drill it being given - I prefer the hole under the arm vs. the base myself. But if there is something that is out of sight out of mind - would be interested in that possibly as well...

BTW - that's one slick rig you have jBox...

You have to make a hole at the "lowest" point in the mirror housing near to where it attaches to the door. Be careful not to let the collar on the drill hit the door panel as it would sctatch the paint. Hold your hand over the chuck to protect your door panel. Just drill a 1/16' hole at the lowest point (the floor of the housing) as a pilot hole, and then use a 3/8" bit to make the drain hole. Don't ream the hole larger with the bit, in case you want to put a plug in it while muddin' ... you can buy a standard matching 3/8" plug that won't fall out if you don't ream the hole.

If you look behind the glass mirror, you will see a giant factory made hole in the upper housing already, water is entering there and settling down at the bottom of the mirror mount. That is what has to be drained.

scottwmckenna 08-06-2010 05:02 PM

I found a post that talked about this, and showed a picture. I went ahead and drilled my holes today, hopefully this fixes the leaking door problem. Thanks so much, I appreciate you guys posting all the helpful information.

Echo 08-06-2010 06:15 PM

Let us know how it turned out.

d3digit 08-06-2010 06:35 PM

I did already a few weeks ago it works great. there was a lot of water inside

d3digit 08-06-2010 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did 2 holes The problem was solve. No more leaks

SardonicPadre 08-06-2010 09:45 PM

Would my 2007 X have this problem?

SpongerAtHeart 08-07-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SardonicPadre (Post 715084)
Would my 2007 X have this problem?

You would notice it already. You get a white, or brown if the inside has rusted, drip pattern on your door. My jeep is black, so it is very noticeable. I thought I was one of the few people who noticed it. This is a great idea.

SpongerAtHeart 08-07-2010 09:42 AM

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ptcwhj.jpg

Here's a pic of the leaky mirrors. The colors are weird and its a cell phone pic, but you can see where the water has been running

Echo 08-07-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongerAtHeart (Post 715377)
http://i33.tinypic.com/2ptcwhj.jpg

Here's a pic of the leaky mirrors. The colors are weird and its a cell phone pic, but you can see where the water has been running

My problem is completely solved with the 3/8" hole I drilled at the bottom of the housing. Lowest point is essential. If you look behind the mirror glass, you can see the huge factory made hole in the bottom that lets the water in with no way out, that is what you should look for. If there is a hole there, then your mirror is filling up with water and sitting there covering the mounting bolts/bracket until it finally leaks out. I bought my jeep used with 14,500 miles on it, so my jeep has been doing it for a long time. I hope I caught it in time to prevent rust. I sprayed a light coating of WD40 into the hole I drilled to protect the parts after they dried. And I don't think water is getting behind the hinges, the water dripping from the mirror makes it look like it is coming from the hinges too.

Ir8divr 08-07-2010 10:20 AM

I was just going to post that question....... Thanks guys

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 12:42 PM

how deep do you drill in, did you use tape to measure off your depth with your drill?

sahara89 08-18-2010 12:47 PM

this really makes that much of a difference?

Jetskifreak82 08-18-2010 01:11 PM

Yes! My brother in law washed my jeep one day, five hours later it was still dripping so I did this and about a cup of rusty water fell out! No more drips now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.