Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Manual or Automatic...?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/manual-or-automatic-57592.html)

Didier(DJ) 08-09-2010 08:45 AM

Manual or Automatic...??

Hello guys,
I was wondering what's the best option for the choice of a gear box?
Manual or Automatic, witch one and why..
Thanks for the help.

SardonicPadre 08-09-2010 09:05 AM

manual.

granted, i don't live in a major city but IMO, manuals are so much fun.

jcf 08-09-2010 09:08 AM

Auto, great on the trail

daggo66 08-09-2010 09:11 AM

Tastes great!

daggo66 08-09-2010 09:12 AM

Less filling!

mrcarcrazy 08-09-2010 09:12 AM

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
Seriously? did you think that no one has ever asked this before, that you were the only person to ever think "hmm, should I get an auto, or a manual?" Next time search a little.

oh, and auto. (jeeps aren't sportscars, there's no reason for it to be a stick).

I know that might have been harsh, but really. by this day in age, people should all know you search first.

jcf 08-09-2010 09:16 AM

↑ he's new don't be rude, or I'll tell Jess on ya'

*JJ* 08-09-2010 09:18 AM

Depends on where you drive it and what you intend to use your Jeep for. I live in LA with the horrible traffic and play mostly on the rocks. Auto works the best for me. Friends who do minor trails and tow with their Jeep love manuals.

ESP 08-09-2010 09:19 AM

Manual Manual Manual. You have a simpler engine that will provide better gas MPG and wear. Are you asking because you haven't owned or a manual before? As far as off roading goes, the Auto will be easier to negotiate terrain and you won't have to worry about over using your clutch but its not really a problem with a little practice. Jeep clutches are pretty tuff and made to withstand some abuse.

Manual - better MPG, simpler transmission, longer lasting, more feel for your terrain, more fun, better in snow and sand, more acceleration.

Auto - NO to everything above but easier if you like to eat cheeseburgers while driving.

KBR97 08-09-2010 09:30 AM

all depends pn your driving and 4wheeling style....

JIMBOX 08-09-2010 09:32 AM

:cool: What does the car you're driving now have ???

The Auto will make an easier commute for you and as far as mileage goes--you shouldn't buy a jeep if you're worried about mileage

The stick should be learned when you're young at least learned, but

The Auto is superior off road and has no dangers in MUD/WATER/ROCKS, while the standard tranny is very suseptable to trauma, in mud/water!

I'd suggest the AUTO !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

clear lake jeepn 08-09-2010 09:34 AM

Manual!!!!

ESP 08-09-2010 09:36 AM

^^^^ hes right about driving through water. A manual tranny is more exposed and you can get into trouble shifting back in fourth while is submerged. Problem solved by not going through water that is so deep you might have to stop and back up. Also, just keep going. :)

STxWrangler 08-09-2010 09:44 AM

Manual.....TONS more fun to drive!

pdubois64 08-09-2010 10:02 AM

Big feet here = auto. Not a lot of room down thar

kik 08-09-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier(DJ) (Post 717181)
Hello guys,
I was wondering what's the best option for the choice of a gear box?
Manual or Automatic, witch one and why..
Thanks for the help.

If the cost difference between maunual & auto was 0 then I could see it not making a difference one way or the other, but paying at least $1,500 more for an auto for the priviledge of over heating, less control, etc. I can't see it. Then again some of the manuals jump out of gear. The bottom line is always what suits you best shifting or not, that's what it always comes down to. Any JK is a good JK.

daggo66 08-09-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 717250)
:cool: What does the car you're driving now have ???

The Auto will make an easier commute for you and as far as mileage goes--you shouldn't buy a jeep if you're worried about mileage

The stick should be learned when you're young at least learned, but

The Auto is superior off road and has no dangers in MUD/WATER/ROCKS, while the standard tranny is very suseptable to trauma, in mud/water!

I'd suggest the AUTO !!

Hmmm, what about sand? I hear they can get a bit toasty. :rofl:

JIMBOX 08-09-2010 12:42 PM

:D Ever so true, unless--

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 717491)
Hmmm, what about sand? I hear they can get a bit toasty. :rofl:

You have an aux cooler ($70 bucks) installed, and/or airdown and use 4lo !!

Now that works, the same for going up long hills off-road (shale/dirt/rocks)

Run what ya brung !!

cremaley 08-09-2010 12:50 PM

Manual for me even though I drive in Atlanta and the traffic is awful. I still enjoy being in total contol of the shifting. Maybe its because I have ridden a Harley for more than 25 years and shifting is second nature to me. Anyway, that my 2 cents.

Gate53 08-09-2010 12:55 PM

Manual! Auto's are for mini vans. Plus I watched someone yesterday worry about putting a hole in their tranny pan. And I like to shift going uphill lol

GroundHawg 08-09-2010 02:05 PM

I like automatics. I don't need to worry about clutching offroad, and sticks suck hardcore in traffic. manuals are ok around town or in the country.

when I was looking for a Jeep though transmission didn't play into my decision in buying mine. price was right, I liked it, had the things I wanted...just happened to be an automatic

SardonicPadre 08-09-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 717229)
Auto - NO to everything above but easier if you like to eat cheeseburgers while driving.

this made me chuckle :rofl:

Geoff@Bestop 08-09-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 717229)
Manual - better MPG.

I do not think this is true anymore. Jeep lists the Wrangler auto and manual exactly the same for MPG, and I think that's fairly common these days.

JIMBOX 08-09-2010 02:36 PM

:rolleyes: Prius/Tesla get great mileage !!

banditman 08-09-2010 02:39 PM

I have gotten stuck in the sand before while in between shifts in a manual
truck. The auto can shift much faster than a person can.

TjTheo 08-09-2010 03:08 PM

Manual all the wayy, you have so much more control of the vehicle in all situations. Unless you're a hardcore rock crawler or live in LA get a manual it's so much fun.

daggo66 08-09-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditman (Post 717600)
I have gotten stuck in the sand before while in between shifts in a manual
truck. The auto can shift much faster than a person can.

...or at least you. :D Just sayin'.

yj-genral 08-09-2010 03:12 PM

yeh but autos have the option of the RUBICRAWLER :D

scottwmckenna 08-09-2010 07:32 PM

I think it's entirely a personal preference. I've owned a manual my entire life with vehicles so far. HOWEVER, with the Jeep, I decided to go with Auto. Like many have said, if you're using it as a daily driver, Auto is always more convenient, and easier. Also, like I saw another comment, it's not a sports car, it doesn't "need" to be manual. If you want manual, and think you'll like it, get it, if you want auto, and think you'll want that, get it. It's your Jeep, your preference. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks on the entire forum.

cru9 08-09-2010 07:36 PM

Auto better offroad..I hate my 5 spd offroad