Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

New guy looking for advice.

770 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jon_2013 
#1 ·
I've been into wheeling for quite a while but have been stationed over sees for the last few years. I talked the wife into letting me get a jeep eventually will build it up but it's goin to be a very slow process so thinking of starting with the rubicon. Was wondering if any body has an opinion on if this is a good deal.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4x4 HARD TOP 6 SPEED

#3 ·
75k miles over 6 years is about 12k a year... Pretty average. But the pre 2012 JKs have the 3.8L minivan engine in them. The 3.6L pentastar has more torque and hp. The 2012 pentastars have some issues... but the 2013+s seem to have less problems. If you're going to fork out that kind of cash (25k), why not just spend the few extra grand and get a brand new one ?

I'm biased, naturally, but Rubicons are awesome. I say this quite a bit to people having the Rubicon vs Other Model dilemma (Which you don't seem to have): I doubt you'll meet a Rubicon owner who wishes he went with a lesser model. There are rare occasions where people will remark that, and it's usually based on not NEEDING the things that make a Rubi a Rubi (Generally people who don't use it for offroading, and simply wanted a luxury SUV. No problem with that. It's their Jeep). Rubicons also hold their price much better, and sell quick (if you're going to resell it at some point). If you get something less, after convincing yourself you didn't want a Rubi, you'll get envious everytime you see one, "I should have gotten a Rubicon"... Glad you're on the right track already though ! :thumb:

#5 ·
Yeah I would love to get one of the newer ones with the new engines but my financial warden (wife) prob won't go for it. That's why im looking at rubis the way I get to spend money it's going to be a very long build process. And by getting the crappier engine the sooner it might blow and I will "need" a new LS small block or turbo diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.