Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   new member with a few questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/new-member-with-a-few-questions-58094.html)

erizo 08-13-2010 10:39 PM

new member with a few questions

Hi all, new member here, been lurking for a while decided it was time to stop looking in from the outside. I am looking forward to sharing in your knowledge and hopefully will contribute something myself. My background, I live in central TX and do most of my wheeling during hunting season in this area and west TX. My current vehicle is a 4 cyl TJ mostly stock with 30 inch tires, have been able to get almost everywhere I needed and back where I came from with this setup. Now the TJ is going to be my son’s daily driver and I am in need of a new hunting rig/fun weekend ride.

On to my YJ content…I have an 89 YJ that I inherited from a buddy’s deceased uncle. It is pretty beat up and needs some TLC before I can get it going. My plans are to replace the blown 4.2 with a 4.0 from another buddies wrecked Cherokee. I am going to continue running the AX15 and NP231 but I am at a loss when it comes to axles. The axles on the jeep now have 3.07 gear ratio. I realize that the Dana 35 and 30 are not as strong as other options and will have limitations as to how much power I can put into them and the size of the tires I can use. My plans are to run a similar set up as I have on my TJ with 30 or 31 inch tires. My questions how will the jeep with 3.07 gear ratio perform around town? I know off road it may be a bit of a dog if I have to start and stop on a hill but I think I can work around that. And I know it will be quite a bit different than my TJ with the 4.11 gears, but will it be that significant of a power drain?

Now I have another buddy who is sitting on a c-clip Dana 35 with the 4.11 gears, he is willing to let me have it for almost nothing if I use it on this jeep, but I don’t have a front axle to match gear ratios. Around here a front end seems pretty pricey at about $500 so that is another investment I will have to make if I switch the rear dana 35 out. Or I can get the Dana 30 regarded but that seems to be even more expensive so it is not a good option in my mind. So my question, if I use the Dana 35 with 4.11 from my friend, can I drive that around with my current 3.07 front end (in 2wd) till I can save up to get a Dana 30 with 4.11 gears? I realize it can not be switched into 4wd but I am thinking some slight use around town for a couple months.

Eventually I think I would like to go to a stronger rear end but first priority is to get this thing on and off the road again.

Any thoughts/advise is appreciated.

FNjeep 08-13-2010 11:08 PM

Welcome to the Board erizo!

Break all that post into individual consumable pizza slices and you'll get some answers.

Cheers!

turdhurdler 08-14-2010 12:20 AM

Welcome Erizo, you should be fine with the 3.07 gears and a 30 or 31" tire. As for being a dog off road, that is not true. With the 3.07 gears it is more of a dog on the highway, you may find yourself driving in 4th gear on the freeway. Around town, you will be fine. I have a 4.0 with the AX15 and 3.07 gears running 31" MT tires and have no issues. The reason your 4 cyl came with the 4.11 gears is to compensate for the difference in power between the 2.5 and the 4.0 or 4.2.

Post up some pics of your new pride and joy when you get the chance.

Also, if it is more of a hunting rig and not a rock crawler, the axles you have should be fine. I say give it the necessary TLC and enjoy the YJ for what it is. If you wish to pick up the other axle in anticipation of a gear chance, you are already halfway thru that project.

Jeff

Ageless Stranger 08-14-2010 02:39 AM

Welcome to WF! :wavey:

erizo 08-14-2010 07:52 AM

thanks turdhurdler, ill stick with the 3,07's

yj93ben 08-14-2010 09:04 AM

To the original post

erizo, welcome
You might want to check your friends wrecked Cherokee rear end. Some of those had Dana 44s and 3.07 gears. All you have to do is move the spring perches from the top to the bottom of the axle tubes. This is probly one of the most inexpensive YJ axle upgrades in jeeping history. Good Luck with your project.

erizo 08-14-2010 03:14 PM

thanks, ill take a look this evening.