Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Getting Desperate...engine problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/getting-desperate-engine-problems-58266.html)

BSing 08-15-2010 04:43 PM

Getting Desperate...engine problems

I have a 2000 TJ Sport 6 cylinder automatic. It has a problem with dying on me randomly and now not wanting to start after it dies. When I first got it about 3 years ago it would only die maybe once a month. When it did I could start it right back up. As time progressed it is dying all the time now. It is not a daily driver however everytime I use it, it will die. Sometimes more than once. Before I could just throw it in neutral and start it right back up. Now it wont always start right back up. I have to let it sit for awhile then it starts fine. A year ago I called around to shops and everyone said that if there are no codes then they cant do anything. I took it to pep boys and had them check for codes. They said there were none. Just now I stared the jeep up and let it warm up. Turned it off and restarted it. It ran for a few seconds and died and would not restart. I tried checking for codes by turning the key 3 times and hold down the odometer button. It reads 2.5 after the first key turn (is this just the firmware? Or a code?) After the 3 turns it goes through the 111, 2222,333 to 999 and all gauges move around. After that nothing.
Any ideas on what to do? I am to the point do I just take it a dealer and tell them to find something. I am afraid if there are no codes I will get a bill for 2 thousands dollars later from them for something simple.

Sorry so long. I am to the point of not even driving the jeep because it might leave me stranded. Thanks for your guys help.

rrich 08-15-2010 06:37 PM

It sounds like the typical CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor- problem. It's very rare that they will set a code - the engine shuts off too fast.

Look on the very back of the engine, behind the valve cover, down on the bellhousing - hard to see. You'll see a wire (2 wires in a harness) go to the sensor.
Trace that wire back about 6" to a connector - usually on the passenger side of the engine - disconnect the connector, wipe it clean, then re-connect. Sometimes that fixes it, sometimes not.

If not replace the sensor. From underneath a long extension, a wobbly on the end, and a 10 MM socket. Either 1 or 2 bolts, depending on the type. A buddy on top to guide the socket on really helps.
Take it to the DEALER to get a new one - autoparts houses sell cheap knock-offs - they won't last. They range from $30 - 80, depending on which one.
They come with a cardboard sleeve on them - leave it on - it's a spacer to position the sensor the right distance from the flywheel.

When you first start it you'll hear a noise - the cardboard sleeve hitting. It will stop soon when it rips off.

wranglejangle 08-16-2010 11:38 AM

Shutting Off

I replaced the CPS, fuel pump and fuel filter. The vehicle is still shutting off. After about 5 to ten miles it shuts off. After it sits for a few minutes and I turn the key a couple times it starts. It then shuts or dies every 300 to 500 feet. Help. I have to get this vehicle running. For sanity sake.

BSing 08-16-2010 02:32 PM

Thanks for your response rrich. I will see about replacing this and see if it helps.

Anyone have other ideas or second rrich's comments?

BSing 08-16-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wranglejangle (Post 726825)
I replaced the CPS, fuel pump and fuel filter. The vehicle is still shutting off. After about 5 to ten miles it shuts off. After it sits for a few minutes and I turn the key a couple times it starts. It then shuts or dies every 300 to 500 feet. Help. I have to get this vehicle running. For sanity sake.

I believe itís customary to start your own thread to troubleshoot a problem. Have you taken your Jeep to anyone yet?

rrich 08-16-2010 02:44 PM

Jangle - try something - next time it stalls, remove the gas cap and drive it. Wondering if the caps vent is plugged - or the wrong cap. If it's plugged, as you use gas from the tank it creates a vacuum in the tank - eventually the pump isn't strong enough to pull against it.
If it runs OK, replace cap.

BSing 08-18-2010 11:18 AM

I hope I am not jumping the gun on this.

I replaced the CPS and drove around the neighborhood once. It didnt die on me! I will have to drive it more to be sure. Not sure if it was in my head or not but it seemed to run smoother.

Thanks guys.

sgort2 06-26-2012 05:19 PM

Has anyone ever measured the thickness of the paper spacer?

PeteH 06-27-2012 08:11 AM

Check the battery connections -- and the ones at the engine and body ends of the cables as well.

Especially check the one at the battery that has two wires held in place by a kind of "bridge" of stamped metal. They can be loose or so corroded that they don't make reliable contact. That can cause unpredictable stalling.