Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Connecticut Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/)
-   -   Need a mechanic in Hartford area (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/need-a-mechanic-in-hartford-area-58347.html)

edwin 08-16-2010 11:45 AM

Need a mechanic in Hartford area
 
I have a 1988 wrangler that is in need of a good tune up by a mechanic that knows what their doing. I have been to 2 dealers and I think they are to into the newer jeeps.
Anyone know a good mechanic for older wranglers that is in the Harford area?
Thanks

Jp90Talon 08-16-2010 12:13 PM

Check out northeastjeep.org Im sure someone can help you out.

lakai050 09-01-2010 10:55 PM

Smiths 4x4 in north Franklin is kinda far but it's where I take mine and he knows his stuff real well and not a bad price either I just had my whole frontend done with truetrac, gears, bearings and everything for a grand for it all labor included. I didn't think it was too bad

DaveRubino 09-30-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwin (Post 726833)
I have a 1988 wrangler that is in need of a good tune up by a mechanic that knows what their doing. I have been to 2 dealers and I think they are to into the newer jeeps.
Anyone know a good mechanic for older wranglers that is in the Harford area?
Thanks

Basals Transmissions in Glastonbury. Owners name is Jim and hes a 4X4 guy. lots of jeeps broncos and just about everything else. I would trust this guy and his crew with anything I own. He isnt afraid to do anything and his work is impecable.

Peepers 02-21-2011 02:13 PM

Dayhill Auto up in windsor is pretty good. I've been there a few times.
Day Hill Auto

horsewithnoname 03-04-2011 01:13 PM

The rear:
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2/001_0309.jpg

horsewithnoname 03-04-2011 01:17 PM

The front:
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2/001_0308.jpg

i think the 1st pic is a rear main seal leak or maybe just a gasket replacement that i could try to do myself with some research but i don't know what to do with the 2nd pic

NHrubicon 03-04-2011 01:24 PM

horsewithnoname....do you have a question with the pictures? Are you in the right place for what you want?

horsewithnoname 03-04-2011 01:29 PM

looks like i need a mechanic in the hartford area, no? i just bought this 97 wrangler sahara from a dealer in RI and he still has to mail me his 6 month warranty papers which cover all the major items and i'm hoping to get some feedback on what problem i'm looking at so i'll know if it'll be covered or not.

Peepers 03-08-2011 09:29 AM

The first picture is a simple pull the cover off, and make a new gasket operation. The second picture I had that problem, but I was in the shop for another problem, so I had them take care of it then. There is a seal in the diff that has gone bad. It would probably be a 2 hour job, if you knew how to pull it apart. Havent checked my service manual.

kjeeper10 03-08-2011 09:39 AM

I like meineke in enfield ( don't laugh) they are actually good people and honest. They have done some work on my jeep and charged me for true labor hours not book.
I ended up doing my 02 sensors myself and they were gonna charge me around $400 for 4 when everywhere else wanted $700-$800. Go in there with a little knowledge tell them what u want done and they will be good to you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

kjeeper10 03-08-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I like MIDAS in enfield ( don't laugh) they are actually good people and honest. They have done some work on my jeep and charged me for true labor hours not book.
I ended up doing my 02 sensors myself and they were gonna charge me around $400 for 4 when everywhere else wanted $700-$800. Go in there with a little knowledge tell them what u want done and they will be good to you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

Edit: epic fail on my part MIDAS not meineke.

Midas on Palomba dr..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

JimJam614 07-04-2011 08:50 PM

Midas of enfield are indeed good guys the techs there know what they are doing for the most part. Some people just can't do their own work and that's ok if you are one of them then midas is deff the spot to go. Mike and Jack great guys. Flash my name james graham down there with the green blazer they'll take car of you. I promise you. But if you don't have the money to take down to the shopp send me a message I'm pretty good with a wrench. They'll tell you so

kjeeper10 07-04-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJam614
Midas of enfield are indeed good guys the techs there know what they are doing for the most part. Some people just can't do their own work and that's ok if you are one of them then midas is deff the spot to go. Mike and Jack great guys. Flash my name james graham down there with the green blazer they'll take car of you. I promise you. But if you don't have the money to take down to the shopp send me a message I'm pretty good with a wrench. They'll tell you so

Ya mike is a good dude. Never charged me for looking into anything, and spent a good amount of time trying to figure something out. I believe jack is the manager (not sure) but they are great.

JimJam614 07-04-2011 09:30 PM

If all goes well I can land a job with them that would be pretty cool

kjeeper10 07-04-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJam614
If all goes well I can land a job with them that would be pretty cool

That be nice. That what you do now?

JimJam614 07-04-2011 09:45 PM

I do a lot of back yard work and then school for the certif. Once done with that I want to find a jod garage so if they give me a good offer ill take it

kjeeper10 07-04-2011 10:12 PM

Good luck. Got a pic of your jeep?

JimJam614 07-04-2011 10:20 PM

I don't have mine yet. I'm living off my cousins for now its horribble I know. I want to find the right one but the price has to be right so I'm saving to bring down the payment seeing school is a money drain I hope by august ill be sitting in one of my own at least that's the intended plan. I am looking for a tj 00-04 I wanna try to stay within 12k less if possible stock I have a lot more fun build my self

kjeeper10 07-04-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJam614
I don't have mine yet. I'm living off my cousins for now its horribble I know. I want to find the right one but the price has to be right so I'm saving to bring down the payment seeing school is a money drain I hope by august ill be sitting in one of my own at least that's the intended plan. I am looking for a tj 00-04 I wanna try to stay within 12k less if possible stock I have a lot more fun build my self

Maybe a nice first year rubicon ;)

JimJam614 07-04-2011 10:39 PM

Well you know I was looking at those and I would love to have one but aren't they pricey? And the stock oem parts are pretty good all alone id wana ride them out till I almost had to change them out. Idk I have a soft spot for the tj but I'm really open for almost anything at this point. And opinions or advice on spoting that first perfect one?

kjeeper10 07-04-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJam614
Well you know I was looking at those and I would love to have one but aren't they pricey? And the stock oem parts are pretty good all alone id wana ride them out till I almost had to change them out. Idk I have a soft spot for the tj but I'm really open for almost anything at this point. And opinions or advice on spoting that first perfect one?

Patience :)

You can get an 03 rubicon Tj :) for around that price. Usually the miles are a little higher but I would not worry about it. The inline 6 is a bullet proof engine. 100,000 is just "broken in" in most eyes.

Quick CL search and this was the first jeep I found.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/2464600316.html

JimJam614 07-04-2011 11:33 PM

Patience is key I'm sure ill find the right one that just give me nore time to save


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.