Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   getting wheel spacers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/getting-wheel-spacers-58514.html)

YJjeep 08-17-2010 06:13 PM

getting wheel spacers

What all needs to be done to the wheels lug nuts & etc. Once you put the wheel spacers on.
Thanks for any help.

Cons_Table 08-17-2010 06:14 PM

I dont know how set on spacers you are, but you may look into a full set of steelies. It seems that most of the time wheel spacers will cost you as much as a new set of steelies with less backspacing. Just a thought.

YJjeep 08-17-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table
I dont know how set on spacers you are, but you may look into a full set of steelies. It seems that most of the time wheel spacers will cost you as much as a new set of steelies with less backspacing. Just a thought.

Okay, im new at modifying vehicles, what is that & whats the difference between the two?

sallysue 08-17-2010 06:21 PM

same here

Cons_Table 08-17-2010 06:25 PM

Wheel spacers go behind your wheels to make them stick out farther. If you buy wheels with less backspacing they will stick out farther without the need for the spacers. What are you wanting spacers for? Larger tires?

Jeepersbatman 08-17-2010 06:29 PM

I have 1 1/4 spacers on my tj, due to ordering wheels before my lift, they work fine. However if you can afford to get a new set of rims with less backspacing. That will give you more clearance from your wheel rubbing on the inside. Also if your going to lift it do that before ordering wheels!!! If you just barely rub you may be able to adjust the stop bolts that are located on the front of your spindles behind the trac bar. Only for minor adjustment, and will slightly cut down on your tight turns. Hope this helps a little

sallysue 08-17-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepersbatman (Post 728899)
I have 1 1/4 spacers on my tj, due to ordering wheels before my lift, they work fine. However if you can afford to get a new set of rims with less backspacing. That will give you more clearance from your wheel rubbing on the inside. Also if your going to lift it do that before ordering wheels!!! If you just barely rub you may be able to adjust the stop bolts that are located on the front of your spindles behind the trac bar. Only for minor adjustment, and will slightly cut down on your tight turns. Hope this helps a little

did you have to cut some of the old lugs bolts back when you installed the 1 1/4 spacers ?

YJjeep 08-17-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table
Wheel spacers go behind your wheels to make them stick out farther. If you buy wheels with less backspacing they will stick out farther without the need for the spacers. What are you wanting spacers for? Larger tires?

How much of a back spacing do you recommend? The wheels im getting ( or was interested in ) have a 4" backspacing. & i want to get my wheels brought out more due to rubing and more stability.

YJjeep 08-17-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepersbatman

If i just get the wheels with less backspacing i dont need anything else to allow the tires to come out?
Sorry, im new to all the modifing. Lol

4Jeepn 08-17-2010 07:05 PM

In general 3.75 to 4 for back spacing works well.(some of this will depend on how wide your tires is) You don't need anything else with correct back spaced wheels.

Jeepersbatman 08-17-2010 07:07 PM

No i did not have to cut the lug bolts they should not stick out past 1 1/4 " . And yes if you just get wheels with less back spacing it will fix it. You should go to a reputable wheel and tire shop abd see what they say about how much backspacing you should have, be sure to inform them of your rubbing issue. If you post your wheel and tire size, and how much lift if any maybe somebody on the forum could help better. Mine is a tj so sorry that wont help, since they are different.

YJjeep 08-17-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepersbatman
No i did not have to cut the lug bolts they should not stick out past 1 1/4 " . And yes if you just get wheels with less back spacing it will fix it. You should go to a reputable wheel and tire shop abd see what they say about how much backspacing you should have, be sure to inform them of your rubbing issue. If you post your wheel and tire size, and how much lift if any maybe somebody on the forum could help better. Mine is a tj so sorry that wont help, since they are different.

Alright man, thanks alot.

YJjeep 08-17-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn
In general 3.75 to 4 for back spacing works well.(some of this will depend on how wide your tires is) You don't need anything else with correct back spaced wheels.

Alright. I got 33x12.50 tires

Jeepersbatman 08-17-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJjeep

Alright man, thanks alot.

No problem good luck!