Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Doors are Finally Off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/doors-are-finally-off-58577.html)

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 08:22 AM

Doors are Finally Off
 
Well, after three weeks and some advice from some fellow members... finally the doors are off my Jeep. First time ever driving with nothing there, felt strange at first, then exciting, then just damn awesome.

Now if only I had a damn garage I could leave them off all the time, New England weather can get whacky haha.

http://a.imageshack.us/img837/9137/doorsoff2.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img705/8900/doorsoff3.jpg

Blackbeard1718 08-18-2010 08:24 AM

Looks good!

Now ya gotta go Topless!

Cheers!

BB

ESP 08-18-2010 08:24 AM

Awesome, its so much fun to do that especially at night. I took mine off and headed to the woods for some great driving. Did you take off your stock mirrors and put them in the hinges? Those mirrors look like the stock ones that come on the doors.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 729532)
Awesome, its so much fun to do that epically at night. I took mine off and headed to the woods for some great driving. Did you take off your stock mirrors and put them in the hinges? Those mirrors look like the stock ones that come on the doors.

I installed mirror relocation mounts, easy as hell to install... but your visibility is drastically reduced, which I am a tad nervous about when it comes to the highway and the great drivers here in Boston

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 (Post 729531)
Looks good!

Now ya gotta go Topless!

Cheers!

BB

I pretty much always have the front panels off but have yet to take the back off. Looks like a fare amount of bolts back there, two I dont have a garage or long term storage options, three my 105lb girlfriend doesnt bring much help to the table when lifting that sucker off.

ESP 08-18-2010 08:35 AM

there's a video on youtube I think of a guy that shows how to take it off by your self with just one person. I wouldn't recommend it but he does it.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 08:46 AM

I'll certainly have to check that out

Also, thanks for the tip on your tires... thats the NEXT purchase, have to wait sometime though =(

RJ's08JK 08-18-2010 08:55 AM

Hey dd, which mirror mounts did you use? Because I've been searching for a pair and I'm undecided on which ones to get. Also I don't wanna have visibility issue.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK (Post 729564)
Hey dd, which mirror mounts did you use? Because I've been searching for a pair and I'm undecided on which ones to get. Also I don't wanna have visibility issue.

well, I guess if you go with relocation mirror mounts you're going to have visibility issues regardless of which model/make you order.

I have a small beef with Quadratec. So, I ordered the Mopar mounts and they arrived the other day. They come, I inspect and they look a little cheap, especially for 70 bucks. So the box they came in clearly say MOPAR and have the model number on the box. I'm looking through the instructions and on teh first page it says JK Wranger _______ and the model number, which matches the number on the box. So, I install the part and what not and at the end of the instructions the warranty sections is all from Rugged Ridge. I went back to the quadratec site and the picture of the Rugged Ridge model is what I was sent, even though the damn box says Mopar!

this is what I received, in a Mopar Box

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13125_102.htm

This is what I originally ordered and PAID for...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13125_5000.htm

RJ's08JK 08-18-2010 09:31 AM

It's funny you say that, because I had a funny feeling they would do that. Thanks for the warning, lol.

Would you happen to know who makes the mirrors on this jeep link?

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Parts | Accessories



Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 729593)
well, I guess if you go with relocation mirror mounts you're going to have visibility issues regardless of which model/make you order.

I have a small beef with Quadratec. So, I ordered the Mopar mounts and they arrived the other day. They come, I inspect and they look a little cheap, especially for 70 bucks. So the box they came in clearly say MOPAR and have the model number on the box. I'm looking through the instructions and on teh first page it says JK Wranger _______ and the model number, which matches the number on the box. So, I install the part and what not and at the end of the instructions the warranty sections is all from Rugged Ridge. I went back to the quadratec site and the picture of the Rugged Ridge model is what I was sent, even though the damn box says Mopar!

this is what I received, in a Mopar Box

Rugged Ridge 11025.04 - Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Bracket in Black for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimted JK - Quadratec

This is what I originally ordered and PAID for...

MOPAR 102504RR - MOPAR® Mirror Relocation Bracket for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimted JK - Quadratec


ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK (Post 729631)
It's funny you say that, because I had a funny feeling they would do that. Thanks for the warning, lol.

Would you happen to know who makes the mirrors on this jeep link?

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Parts | Accessories

no idea, but they look nice

what lead you to that think they might do that? This may be the last straw with them, they also sent the wrong model of a hood lock. Thats pretty garbage is you ask me.

clear lake jeepn 08-18-2010 09:52 AM

hip hip hooray

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 10:01 AM

I think I am going to pick up a small convex mirror for the passenger side, I can't see s***

RJ's08JK 08-18-2010 10:07 AM

It's funny because I noticed the two types of mirrors they're selling, and I just had a funny feeling they would do such shady business. I'll let you know when I find out who makes the mirrors on the link I sent you.

Cheers!




Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 729643)
no idea, but they look nice

what lead you to that think they might do that? This may be the last straw with them, they also sent the wrong model of a hood lock. Thats pretty garbage is you ask me.


fivenote 08-18-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 729541)
there's a video on youtube I think of a guy that shows how to take it off by your self with just one person. I wouldn't recommend it but he does it.

I saw that video too! I especially like the maneuver when he's one-legged on the step ladder while he swings his left leg out of the jeep. I hope he doesn't break his top and wind up in the hospital.

YouTube - Removing a 4 door JK hardtop

darin.1701 08-18-2010 10:18 AM

would look better with no top!

drivebytruckerz 08-18-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darin.1701 (Post 729710)
would look better with no top!

x2

Kate 08-18-2010 10:25 AM

Hey dd, you can go down to Harbor Freight and pick a small electric hoist for around $50 and make up a rigging that will lift it off. If you BUY a hoist, it will run $300. There should only be 8 bolts back there.

For storage, a lot of folks use a cart that stores it vertically. OBM made mine, but they have them available or you might even be able to make one if you're trying to save a few bucks.

One example would be the Bestop HOSS
http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/gr...80501_1000.jpg

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK (Post 729688)
It's funny because I noticed the two types of mirrors they're selling, and I just had a funny feeling they would do such shady business. I'll let you know when I find out who makes the mirrors on the link I sent you.

Cheers!

I picked up the set for my vacation next week down cape cod, doors off all week in the sun and sand, nice.

Anyways, I think I'm going to pull them off and just return them because they seem shady as hell over there. Amazing website, visually, but I have made 3 orders and 2 were botched.

ConnorE 08-18-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK (Post 729631)
It's funny you say that, because I had a funny feeling they would do that. Thanks for the warning, lol.

Would you happen to know who makes the mirrors on this jeep link?

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Parts | Accessories

Those mirrors look like TJ mirrors mounted with the relocation brackets on a JK. :confused:

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darin.1701 (Post 729710)
would look better with no top!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 729719)
x2


I agree! Have to figure out the logistics of storage. Either way, next spring a bikini top will be installed on this and the hardtop will only be used for cold weather/ new england winters

andreafahy01 08-18-2010 10:50 AM

Woo hoo!!! What fun! We finally gave in to the notion that our jeeps are just going to get weathered. In eastern NC, storms pop up randomly every other day or even daily and we have only one covered parking spot at home. If at work, forget about it! they'll be soaked! But everything seems pretty tough and holds up, although I guess the JKs computers get screwed up sometimes and cruise control or something won't work for a while or the horn will go on the fritz or... hahah Anyway, I'm glad you got your doors off and are enjoying it!

RJ's08JK 08-18-2010 10:50 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun bro. Enjoy and just remember to look all ways :)





Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 729734)
I picked up the set for my vacation next week down cape cod, doors off all week in the sun and sand, nice.

Anyways, I think I'm going to pull them off and just return them because they seem shady as hell over there. Amazing website, visually, but I have made 3 orders and 2 were botched.


ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAFahy (Post 729758)
Woo hoo!!! What fun! We finally gave in to the notion that our jeeps are just going to get weathered. In eastern NC, storms pop up randomly every other day or even daily and we have only one covered parking spot at home. If at work, forget about it! they'll be soaked! But everything seems pretty tough and holds up, although I guess the JKs computers get screwed up sometimes and cruise control or something won't work for a while or the horn will go on the fritz or... hahah Anyway, I'm glad you got your doors off and are enjoying it!

I honestly don't care about the seats and what not, its more the radio/console that I would be worried about. Water seeps in then the eletric odometer and all that jazz goes, not covered under warranty

andreafahy01 08-18-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddbowdoin (Post 729786)
I honestly don't care about the seats and what not, its more the radio/console that I would be worried about. Water seeps in then the eletric odometer and all that jazz goes, not covered under warranty

Understood! I just have put it out of my mind, my husband likes to trash everything lol. It's more of a hassle to bother myself with it than not; pick and choose your battles, ya know? But that's what I love about my YJ - I don't have all that electric stuff in the dash! Well, I have my stereo but I liked the idea I read somewhere on WF to put in a marine stereo.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK (Post 729759)
Sounds like a lot of fun bro. Enjoy and just remember to look all ways :)

yeah, I think a small convex mirror will go real far.

daggo66 08-18-2010 11:38 AM

Too bad you covered up your license plate. Now I won't be able to stalk you using something that untold thousands of people see everyday. :rolleyes:

Looks good with the doors off, but you have to at least take off the front freedom panels.

The Rugged Ridge and the Mopar mirror relocating kit is exactly the same. The only difference is that the Mopar set is an extra $20. Most, if not all, Mopar accessories are made by other companies that also market the same accessories under there own name for less money.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 729818)
Too bad you covered up your license plate. Now I won't be able to stalk you using something that untold thousands of people see everyday. :rolleyes: I know, I realized that was pointless after I did it haha

Looks good with the doors off, but you have to at least take off the front freedom panels.

The Rugged Ridge and the Mopar mirror relocating kit is exactly the same. The only difference is that the Mopar set is an extra $20. Most, if not all, Mopar accessories are made by other companies that also market the same accessories under there own name for less money.

yes, the pictures look different which is weird. I wish I knew that before ordering!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

daggo66 08-18-2010 11:52 AM

Look at the bright side, it was only a $20 lesson. Soon you'll be comparing Quadratec's pricing to 4wheelparts pricing to get a better deal on the exact same parts.

ddbowdoin 08-18-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 729837)
Look at the bright side, it was only a $20 lesson. Soon you'll be comparing Quadratec's pricing to 4wheelparts pricing to get a better deal on the exact same parts.

good call... thanks for the heads up on that site


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.