Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   YJ transmission leak. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-transmission-leak-58608.html)

Meatwad 08-18-2010 12:29 PM

YJ transmission leak.

Like the title says, my yj has a transmission leak. It's an ax5 trans, fluid seems to be dark brown, very thick and smells nothing like motor oil. Gear oil..... It's leaking everywhere. It's on the skid, trans and bellhousing. I have no clue where it's coming from. My initial thought was input shaft seal on the trans was bad. Still questionable. I put a quart and a half in it 2 weeks ago. It seems to be leaking regardless if I'm parked on an incline, decline or level surface. Can someone please tell me where to start looking. BTW I live in a apartment, so me just taking the thing completely apart is out of the question. That and I'm fairly new to the jeep scene and don't know any wheelers around here.

tracker975 08-19-2010 10:03 AM

I have the same problem...but an autocrap...wife can't drive a stick....so far i have drained all the fluids....took the shafts out...my book is crap..it tells me to remove the trans and T/C as a unit..there are 6 bolts that go from the trans to the case that have to come off..My next step is securing the T/C on some stands...removing the skidplate/mounts and the linkages and whatever connectors.....That should expose the trannie output shaft...don't know if it is the same or not for yours...my wrenchin' skills are just above a chimps so hopefully someone with the real knowlegde can help you better...I hope this helps you some...it is a messy job lol..the landlord my not appreciate the color change of his driveway..my wife sure didn't..ooopppssss......

Meatwad 08-19-2010 10:50 AM

I've been lurking around on the boards, just reading everything I can. It seems to be a the output shaft seal on my trans or so I've read. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought. I mean, I've got gear oil all the way up to the bell housing and my block. I just wish I had a place to do this. Like you said the management here doesn't get very excited when there precious cracked parking space gets oil because I took the time to fix something....

tracker975 08-19-2010 01:36 PM

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with you....I am hoping the answers will help us both....I have everything off and I am ready to drop the T/C...now for one of my chimp like questions...when i seperate the T/C from the automatic trannie to change the trans output shaft seal do I take out the bolts in front of the mount or behind the mount....The book I have is of absolutely no help at all....Thanks Joey

toshpate 08-19-2010 02:38 PM

mine leaks too...I just put thick lucas in there and cross my fingers until it runs out then add more, my mechanic skills are worse then a chimps ha ha

tracker975 08-19-2010 02:41 PM

I did the lucas route for a few weeks...gets kinda pricey and doesn't do crap...still leaks.... just makes a nicer puddle.

toshpate 08-19-2010 02:46 PM

he he he, mine isnt that bad of a leak I guess but the regular ATF pours through so it winds up costing me the same, I just add more when the thing gets to shifting hard. It has other issues that need looking into beofre I get that leak fixed since I will have to pay someone to do it

tracker975 08-19-2010 07:03 PM

It really isn't that bad just a tad messy is all.....Had do do some stuff so I got pulled away so I will be doing the seperating tomorrow....bet this is the longest seal swap in history lol...Joey

tracker975 08-21-2010 01:09 PM

Well...I got the old seal out and the new one in....I just hope I didn't booger the new seal putting the T/C case back in ....on my back...by myself...with a seperated shoulder and a broken finger lol....had to do a bit of wiggling..not much but it took a few wiggles to get it lined up..then it just slid right in...the old seal was hard as a brick and fell apart when I took it out lol.....I'll let ya know later..........Thanks Joey

hermesgrafix 08-22-2010 07:43 PM

I just had my transmission out last week to do a clutch change and had to remove the shifter. I noticed the bolts holding the shifter on the transmission were not really torqued on. So not sure if that would be a good area to look. Remove the cover from the inside where the shifter is to see the top of the transmission. There are 2 different size bolts on there. Just take a look and see if it is coming out of that gasket, slinging lube can creep out and build up and go everywhere.

Zack 08-27-2010 03:07 PM

Same issue here. Trying to figure out where I should look first. I add gear oil and it runs back out through the skid. Seems to be coming up high, will only drain the first half out? Any suggestions on that? Where's the mechanics to weigh in?

UABYJ94 08-27-2010 03:33 PM

Best way for us to help is take a pic of the suspected area and post it to a free pic hosting site like photobucket and post the link in the thread so we can see what it looks like. Sounds like the t-case bolts to the tranny may be loose or if it is high it could be the filler hole. Take some degreaser and clean it up real good then snap a pic then link it and I'll be back online when I get home and see if I can help..
Here at work I'm limited to how much I can search and some pic sites are barracuda blocked..

Zack 08-27-2010 03:55 PM

The filler hole? I put the bolt back in. Is there supposed to be a washer or something? I will get the best pick I can when I get home and clean it up. Kinda scared to start ripping it apart. Never done seals. Swapped the clutch in my taco, but never pulled a tranny or tcase apart, gears scare me. Driveway mechanic. Limited to water pumps, swapping strut, stuff like that. Could probably do it with proper service manual, but haynes is useless. O

Zack 09-06-2010 09:34 AM

The T-case to tranny nut and stud are missing from one spot. Are the studs threaded into t-case? Could they vibrate themselves out, or is it likely snapped off in there? A feeler will go back into the hole about 3/4". Is there a gasket in between t-case and tranny? Thanks UA

Zack 09-06-2010 10:03 PM

Bump

Zack 09-07-2010 07:20 PM

Bump for uab