Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   how about chevy 350 conversion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/how-about-chevy-350-conversion-587.html)

18derrick 10-19-2005 09:09 PM

how about chevy 350 conversion

I have a 95 yj with a 4cyl. does anyone know what exactly what it takes?

whatajeep 10-19-2005 09:15 PM

uhh dude, do some research on the web, then ask more specific questions.

Jeepcrazy 10-20-2005 11:46 AM

Why? Why not an easier 4.0 swap or a stroked 4.0 for 4.7? For that matter unless your drag racing or have CI envy a 4cyl works well enough.

1BLKJP 10-20-2005 03:00 PM

The 350 swap in the Jeep is a whole lot easier and more common. There is tons of information about this swap and a lot of companies produce drop in parts for it. With your 4 cylinder you are going to probably want to swap out your tranny also if you are going to an 8. I know however Advance Adapters make the AX-15 bracket for the 350 though. Wiring harness, emissions, motor mounts, axles (because Dana 30/35 will not hold up to 350 HP 350 Ft. Lb. of Torque), Tranny, Computer etc..... And this is not a complete list by any means, just some big things you will have to tackle.

If you are not at least a 4 out of 5 on the mechanically inclined scale or unless you have the money to have a swap done right then you should look at either swapping in an easier motor like the 4.0 or just turbo charging/super charging your 4cyl.

amerijeep 10-20-2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatajeep
uhh dude, do some research on the web, then ask more specific questions.

I think there is nothing wrong with the question. Asking questions here IS doing research!

I love that we are getting some good thought provoking questions.

daddyjeep 10-20-2005 07:58 PM

I wish I would have swapped in a small block Chevy into my Jeep instead of sinking a bunch of money into my 258. If you have the ability to do your own work it is one of the cheapest swaps. You can get a junk yard motor for a couple hundred bucks and rebuild it for a couple more. If you can get the whole drive train you won't even need to worry about the adaptors, just motor and tranny mounts. I have also thought about a Chevy 4.3 V6 swap, which would make a nice powerplant for a wrangler. There are always endless options as long as you have the skill or the money to make them happen.

Jeepcrazy 10-20-2005 10:19 PM

The 350 is a great motor and was one of the first engines I ever tore apart but I still think a 4.0 would be a better swap.

He won't need a custom radiator
He won't need custom power steering lines
He won't need adapters (Will need an ax15 and the correct input shaft on his transfercase)
He won't need to replace gages or rewire them
He won't need to mess around with those nasty carbs
He won't have header clearance issues
Can use his stock axles that probably have 4:10s in them great for 33s but not larger

He will have more horsepower with a 350 and thats a great thing but don't sell a 350 swap as cheaper when to do it right you should replace everything from the engine to the axles.

So what it really comes down to is how big is he going?

dos0711 04-07-2006 07:35 AM

I think a stock 283 2bl would prbly kick butt in a Jeep!

yjswampthing 04-07-2006 09:23 AM

I understand where he's coming from. Since its not that hard of a swap, and you're gonna drop a chunck of change into it, you might as well go for the motor that will put out all the horsepower and torque you'll want. I'm not well versed on this, but my research has led me to believe that a Fuel injected 350 linked to a 4wd style NV4500 will be perfect. Your NP231 will handle the horsepower, and I'm told that the axles will too for regular use and you can upgrade those for heavier wheeling. I don't know what the best swap would be, but you certainly can't beat that v8 sound!