Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   water problems! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/water-problems-5911.html)

activelydying 02-13-2007 04:22 PM

water problems!

the other day i ended up in a pond with my jeep. not by choice. the water was almost over the tires. after a few tries the jeep finally started up after blowing some water out of the exhaust. the problem now is though that it seems like i lost some power. also the jeep will sputter every so often. do you think this is because i was stuck in three and a half feet of water :confused: . anyway what do i have to do and where do i start to get the jeep running smooth again.

Texapple 02-13-2007 04:28 PM

I can't help you with your problem....but I want to hear the story behind this one :D explain: "not by choice"

compshooter 02-13-2007 04:43 PM

Ummmmm.......what does your oil look like?

activelydying 02-13-2007 04:47 PM

so far, i've done nothing. tonight is the night to start. somebody said i should check the oil and tranny fluid, and maybe get some dry gas just incase.

Scout 02-13-2007 04:49 PM

Idiot.

activelydying 02-13-2007 07:10 PM

oil looks fine, but the tranny fluid looks milky. so i'll be changing that wednesday. since the jeep still runs, think the chances of any major damage is minimal?

mrbigjeep 02-13-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texapple (Post 54344)
I can't help you with your problem....but I want to hear the story behind this one :D explain: "not by choice"

x2

STAY OUTTA THE WATER!

i think your chances of damage are huge and your jeep is now gonna die and never start up again and you will have to sell it and get a new one or buy a new motor and transmission and t case.

;) completely kidding.

Mudweiser 02-13-2007 08:17 PM

Few things could of happened. I submerge mine over the top of 38 boggers quite often. As for the haters of mud..help or bug off. If you still got a cat then your cat could be waterlogged. As long as you dont shut the motor off while your exhaust is under water it should be fine. But even if you did your cat will stop alot of it. IDe check there first. Of course change oil and diff fluids and if your tranny or tcase is milky change them as well. Jeeps are designed for abuse and are quite water resistant up to apoint.

1BLKJP 02-13-2007 08:39 PM

AD, I'd definitely say that not everything has completely dried out yet. It takes awhile especially if you aren't driving it every day. If it's not throwing any codes then you probably haven't screwed up anything. You said it was only up to the top of the tires so I'm going to assume that you didn't suck any water into the intake.

jp'rs_peep'rs 02-13-2007 09:37 PM

Fludis should be refreshed.

U. Boat Commander

C.

whitebuffalo 02-14-2007 12:22 AM

change ur diff, tranny, t-case fluids. if u ingested water in the engine ud prob hear knocking. pull ur dist cap and spray wd-40 under there and let it sit open and dry. dry gas wouldnt hurt, neither would an oil change (just to be safe).

activelydying 02-15-2007 10:39 AM

changed the oil and tranny fluid, also put some dry gas in the tank. runs much much better. i have never changed the diff fluids before. is that an easy one also?

compshooter 02-15-2007 11:16 AM

Pull the covers (Have catch pan underneath), clean cover and diff surfaces, wipe out inside of diff, RTV cover and put back on. Fill with 75w-90 through the hole in the middle of the cover until fluid reaches bottom of hole.

Mike001 02-15-2007 12:15 PM

Like they said change your fluids you don't want to drive it around with water in the fluids also check your spark plugs, they could be fouled. If there is water in the gas it will clog the fuel filter so pull that and blow it out if there is water in it I would suggest replacing that as well.

Moab Man 02-15-2007 03:22 PM

I too hate mud and water but agree that if you're not going to help then leave it alone.

As for how much damage. The critical one is to get the auto tranny changed immediately. Everything else is pretty tolerant, although you still need to change it asap, but the auto trans is critical.

If you have a manual trans it is tolerant like the rest and should just be done asap.

It can and will take quite a while to get it completely dried out.

mrbigjeep 02-15-2007 09:47 PM

staying out of the mud and water IS my advice. and its the best advice that can be given ;) JK

skeeter 02-15-2007 11:50 PM

Good greif, do you folks hide your Jeeps in the garage under tarps when it rains? :eek:

If you've got milky fluids, change it, if not, don't, BTW water in tranny, diffs, or even engine oil will not make the motor run poorly, you got water in the gas or in your electronics.
Water in the gas is taken care of by a bottle of gas dry as you've already done.
Water in the electronics you can just wait till it dries or you can go through pulling plugs and caps, if you find dampness, use a little WD-40 and seal the connection when you put it back together so it doesn't happen again.
Jeeps are not made of sugar, they don't melt when wet ;)

Moab Man 02-16-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 55386)
Jeeps are not made of sugar, they don't melt when wet ;)

Mine does! That is why I rockcrawl in the desert of Moab.

1BLKJP 02-16-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 55386)
Good greif, do you folks hide your Jeeps in the garage under tarps when it rains? :eek:

Pretty much. We get less than 10" of rain a year here in PHX. So when it rains it pretty much pisses our jeeps off because that means mud and that means cleaning up mud. :D

upinar 02-16-2007 02:39 AM

why is everybody so scared of mud and water? U have a jeep! use it. Down here in south florida thats all there is here and i love it. jeeps are high maintnance vehicles when abused regularly no matter what terrain. dont be scared to go through a mudhole cause ur to lazy to change out some fluids.

jp'rs_peep'rs 02-16-2007 05:22 AM

upinar: Quote"jeeps are high maintnance vehicles when abused regularly no matter what terrain."

hehehe

Thats a good one....No matter what the equipment. Abuse is the exact oppsite of use!

C.

GoodLife 02-16-2007 07:09 AM

I agree with upiner. There are not rocks to crawl around here but there sure is a lot of mud. I take my jeep swimming every chance I get. My jeep and I love the mud! And so do the wife and kids for that matter.

mrbigjeep 02-16-2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upinar (Post 55401)
U have a jeep! use it.

i use it. just not in the mud.

besides, i think water messes other stuff up besides just your fluids

skeeter 02-16-2007 09:13 AM

Like what?

We get dumped on for months at a time, today is the first day in about 2 months that we didn't have a 4inch deep puddle in our driveway. We have ruts in the roads around here that fill with water when it rains and driving through em is more fun than riding the log ride at Disney land, and just as wet.
If that weren't enough, we have pot holes here that fill with water right up to the edge so you can't tell it's there, eventually a rice grinder will come along and fall in then we have to call in the divers to find em and hook up the tow cable so a Jeep can pull em out.
Trust me, we get wet, I have moss growing inside my Jeep, I think I have frogs in glove box but I'm afraid to open it and check.
Water doesn't hurt Jeeps :D

mud707 02-16-2007 09:38 AM

If you take care off your jeep mud won't be a problem and their it can be a great thrill. I follow 2 rules, 1st if its above 3 ft deep change your fluids unless it's a really short hole 5-10 ft long. 2nd is try not to go through anything over your hood unless necessary, chances are you'll suck water through your intake which is the biggest danger you have.
Following these 2 rules I have only had two problems and that was mud in my altenator preventing it from charging and mud in radiator causing to over heat. Solved both by removing altenator taking back cover off it and spraying it out at a car wash while washing mud off my jeep and out of radiator.
Now on the plus there isn't anything more exciting than going through a nice 3-4ft deep long hole and straight up a 80 degree 10ft bank. I've done plenty of rocks also but nothing shows what a jeep can do like mud in my book.

GoodLife 02-16-2007 09:47 AM

Don't forget about the electrical parts. It is good to turn on all electronics, lights, radio, etc. Leave them on long enough to heat up and evaporate any water. It is a boaters trick to keep condensation and leaks from building up water and shorting things out.

skeeter 02-16-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud707 (Post 55449)
I follow 2 rules, 1st if its above 3 ft deep change your fluids unless it's a really short hole 5-10 ft long. ***snip***

This is what bugs me in these threads, I really don't understand this change the fluids every time idea? are you getting water in your fluids every time? it's really not difficult to identify water contamination in oils so if you aren't getting contamination, why waste the money and time. If you are, why aren't you fixing the leak?
I'm serious, I'm not trying to make light of this, I'm genuinely confused.

activelydying 02-16-2007 05:48 PM

just curious on how water gets in the fluid anyway?

1BLKJP 02-16-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 55564)
just curious on how water gets in the fluid anyway?

It gets in the Tranny and Diff's thru the vent tubes.

mrbigjeep 02-16-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 55445)
Like what?

well it can really screw the clutch and tranny up...it can completely kill the tranny and the clutch can slip...plus it makes your jeeps have all kinds of noises and it can hydrolock the motor in puddles that aren't even that deep.