Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   Central Florida (Kissimmee) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/central-florida-kissimmee-59228.html)

Tiki Tim 08-23-2010 12:02 PM

Central Florida (Kissimmee)
 
Looking for somewhere to take what is currently a stock JK off road in the Central Florida area. It is a daily driver so although I am not afraid of bumps and scrapes, I canít afford to break itÖ

DataByte 09-16-2010 07:27 PM

Only close(ish) place is Ocala National forest.... Legal anyway

WahooWolfe 09-16-2010 07:36 PM

Go over to Tosahatchee WMA. Take SR 50 from the 408 and just past Christmas you'll see the sign and turn right. About a 1 1/2 down the road on the left you'll see the entrance. It is an easy dirt road with plenty of things to see and places to hike around if you're so inclined. Your JK can easily do it with no problems. I would caution to let someone know where you're going to be as there is little if any cell coverage there. My battery died on me there so I know from experience :redface:. Take a camera with you, too!

jeffk42 09-22-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WahooWolfe (Post 775450)
Go over to Tosahatchee WMA. Take SR 50 from the 408 and just past Christmas you'll see the sign and turn right. About a 1 1/2 down the road on the left you'll see the entrance. It is an easy dirt road with plenty of things to see and places to hike around if you're so inclined. Your JK can easily do it with no problems. I would caution to let someone know where you're going to be as there is little if any cell coverage there. My battery died on me there so I know from experience :redface:. Take a camera with you, too!

I'll have to check that out. I'm in E Orlando and didn't even know about it. Of course I don't have the Jeep yet (on order) so I don't know why I would have. :rolleyes:

WahooWolfe 09-22-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 783233)
I'll have to check that out. I'm in E Orlando and didn't even know about it. Of course I don't have the Jeep yet (on order) so I don't know why I would have. :rolleyes:

Let me know what you think of the place after you go there.

Tiki Tim 09-23-2010 07:53 AM

We may be checking out this place this weekend...

ParaCAD 09-23-2010 08:27 AM

Ride up to Ocala Fl to Jeeptoberfest next month (check my sig link) for some man made stock, moderate, and extreme course wheeling :)

jeffk42 09-23-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaCAD
Ride up to Ocala Fl to Jeeptoberfest next month (check my sig link) for some man made stock, moderate, and extreme course wheeling :)

I wanted to do that! But since I ended up ordering instead of buying off the lot, I won't have my Jeep in time! :(

ParaCAD 09-23-2010 12:40 PM

You people and your ordering brand new jeeps!!

<sarcasm>I'm not jealous at all</sarcasm>:D


Drive up what you got...don't have to have a jeep to walk in..:D


Quote:

On Order 9/20/2010: 2011 Wrangler Sport S, Natural Green, 6-spd manual, 23S Package, Dual Top, Connectivity Pkg, Power Pkg, Trac-Lok Limited Slip Diff, Tow Pkg, 7-speaker pkg
that sounds like its gonna be a sweet ride...congrats!

Logans Run 09-23-2010 02:14 PM

Hard Rock in Ocala is a legal spot to ride.

saltwaterwop 09-23-2010 02:40 PM

ditto on both Ocala which is endless and closer to town Tosahatchee.

Other than some sections of loose sand and occasional mud, Tosa can be driven with an average car for the most part with Flat semi improved hard packed dirt trails/road. The trails are extensive and go through some various types of environments from pine flatwoods to wetlands and run to the St Johns river in one area.

jeffk42 09-23-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

<sarcasm>I'm not jealous at all</sarcasm>:D
Right now I'm the jealous one, because I don't have a Jeep of any kind! You can be jealous in a few weeks. :D

Quote:

that sounds like its gonna be a sweet ride...congrats!
Thanks! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwaterwop (Post 785230)
Other than some sections of loose sand and occasional mud, Tosa can be driven with an average car for the most part with Flat semi improved hard packed dirt trails/road. The trails are extensive and go through some various types of environments from pine flatwoods to wetlands and run to the St Johns river in one area.

Sounds pretty big. I'm excited that there's a place like that nearby to explore. Do you know if there are any clearings or areas to stop along the trails to get out if you want to pack a lunch or something?

ParaCAD 09-23-2010 03:57 PM

And BTW...here's Hard Rock. I haven't been myself..but i'm sure it would be a good time..

Jeep Info:
Jeeps and other off road vehicles, now have a section of Hardrock to call their very own. Click here for details.


Main page
Hardrock Cycle Park - Cycles, ATV's, and 4X4's

Logans Run 09-23-2010 04:10 PM

I'll be up there Oct 2nd. your welcome to come join.

WahooWolfe 09-25-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 785270)
Right now I'm the jealous one, because I don't have a Jeep of any kind! You can be jealous in a few weeks. :D



Thanks! :)



Sounds pretty big. I'm excited that there's a place like that nearby to explore. Do you know if there are any clearings or areas to stop along the trails to get out if you want to pack a lunch or something?

It's a WMA with no pic nic tables or such but there are plenty of places you can park and enjoy a nice lunch. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you (not rain). Again, let me know your thoughts on the place after you go.

I find it a nice area given it's proximity to Orlando.

jeffk42 09-25-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WahooWolfe

It's a WMA with no pic nic tables or such but there are plenty of places you can park and enjoy a nice lunch. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you (not rain). Again, let me know your thoughts on the place after you go.

I find it a nice area given it's proximity to Orlando.

Sweet! Yeah it'll be a while but once the Jeep comes in I'll go check out. :)

saltwaterwop 09-27-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 787945)
Sweet! Yeah it'll be a while but once the Jeep comes in I'll go check out. :)

FWC - Wildlife Management Area Sites Tosohatchee

32,000 acres... It really is a cool place that few people know about locally.
Tight tree lined trails with full canopy coverage from trees, Wide open St Johns Riverside trails with huge vistas of the St Johns, open palmetto lined trails, Powerline roads, primitive campsites and my favorite, Fish Hole Road where there are a few small ponds along the trail. You can park in designate parking areas and hike if you like to any spot for a picnic. Pretty much they don't care a lot as long as you aren't blocking a trail or fire lane or service road.

I think it costs like $6 for a daily per vehicle use permit which you leave in the unattended entrance gate inside a box. Wildlife officers(Rangers) are located on site at the entrance trailer and occasionally make rounds. I do know that Taylor Creek road which goes into the area has a small bridge that sometimes is under repair so you may need to enter from the SR 520 side.

jeffk42 09-27-2010 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info and the link! Can't wait to check it out. :)

tatmalack 10-05-2010 03:18 PM

Great info, thanks.

Ladydlx 10-12-2010 01:28 PM

We took the top of the TJ and went for a Sunday drive out at T.WMA. $3.00 gets you in the gate. Take bug spray with you!

Firemonkey 10-12-2010 09:18 PM

There is another very large WMA west of Clermont. Richloam WMA has many trails to explore, and FWIR, is free to enter. Its part of the expansive Withlacoochee state forest. I have gone out there a few times, and its a fun time. Some of the tighter trails (you know the ones that give you trail pinstripes) were pretty shady, which made the mosquitos a bit of a problem in the open cab.

There are some good pics in this thread, from a few FJs who went out to explore. Have a look, and google "Richloam WMA FL" for more info and maps.

Richloam WMA ride Short Notice- 10-20 or 21 -07 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Here is another thread with pics from JeepFlorida.com

http://jeepflorida.com/forum/index.php?topic=32.15

derfC 10-14-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwaterwop (Post 790827)

Wow, Thanks for that link! I grew up here (Melbourne) & never realized that place existed. I must drive by there every time I'm on my way to Orlando :banghead:

Sounds like a good place to take the 'fam

LilBlueTank 10-18-2010 03:53 PM

ha! i always thought that was a waste management area. ill have to check it out now.

WahooWolfe 10-26-2010 08:09 AM

Went out there last Friday. There are tons of wildflowers blooming. I don't know the names of the flowers but lots of purple variety and some yellow "daisies" blooming. Beautiful weather and day!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.