Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Book Nerds? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/book-nerds-59399.html)

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:19 PM

Book Nerds?

Alright guys, I'm trying to convince myself to get off of the computer and do something else that I like - read! Do we have any other readers here? I loved reading as a kid, learned to despise it through middle and high school; avoided it in college and have just recently gotten back into reading.

So what are you guys reading, other than the forums?!

John Steinbeck is one of my favorites, and it dawned on me that I never read Grapes of Wrath even though I'm sure it was required reading in H.S. hmm.

Also, Greg (my husband) is a writer; we're working on one of his novels and he just began another one. I'm not reading this one but he reads me a chapter as he completes it, that's the best!

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:22 PM

depends, what are your interests? i can recommend hitchhikers guide to the galaxy to just about anyone.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:27 PM

Oh I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, but it's neat to know what else is out there. I've started traded books at random book trades so that I don't know what I'm going to wind up with. Otherwise I tend to stick to classics. It took me years to get away from only non-fiction! I thought it might be neat to run an OT thread on this.

BTW, I finally clicked on your website link and I'm intrigued! Too bad Mr. Steinbeck, you'll be waiting just a touch longer while I read about treadlightly.org!

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:34 PM

lol, you CAN go wrong with a lot of the classics. 1984 is a great book, it did it's job and pissed me off. catcher in the rye is a snooze fest about a guy who just bitches the whole time, the great gatsby was a bunch of rich kids being douchebags, to kill a mockingbird is the single biggest letdown after being built up as this hugely controversial book. call me a philistine, lol. i could go on.
i like jack london stuff, treasure island, lord of the flies, stephen king (which the intellectuals would scoff at no doubt, but the guy can write a compelling story). as far as non-fiction, history is about it for me. i want to be entertained, dammit. :D

tread lightly is awesome, if for no other reason than they saved me about $1700 on my new jeep. :D

cavediverjc 08-24-2010 08:38 PM

I like to read.

Fweaky 08-24-2010 08:39 PM

What the Dog Saw - Malcolm Gladwell

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:40 PM

Ya know, I just read Gatsby and enjoyed it just fine! I've recently read some Stephen King, liked it; not too big on his Bachman stuff. Learned I don't like mysteries so much, at least not the mysteries I've picked up thus far. Too cheesy and modern.

I also suck at book discussions, can't give a summary worth a damn. I can tell you if I enjoyed it or not, lol.

non-fiction reading? Jeep forum :) Hoping to get my hands on a particular automotive book so I can learn some basics. Anytime I get into something, I like to read up on it. Just got my new cat care book in, actually it's the fourth copy I've bought of it; given it away and also my last one had to be replaced.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 740533)
I like to read.

Yay. I'm too young for my brain to be going mushy, so I have to keep it stimulated! Read the books, bring out the scrabble board, give me a jeep topic to challenge me with learning about!

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:41 PM

oh yeah, and comics obviously. :)

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 740540)
oh yeah, and comics obviously. :)

Never got into comics myself. I just realized your avatar must be a comic character?

bobjenkins 08-24-2010 08:43 PM

Im huge on reading, well listening to audiobooks. I usually listen about 12 hours a day. My job is boring and I can listen while at work. If youve got an ipod look at audible.com its awesome

books in the last month or so

riptide by licholn child
'great book by child, buried treasure premise with a twist

ice limit by licholn child
'another great "buried object" book by child

deep storm by licholn child
'yet another buried object book lol all great tho

hitchhikers guide books by douglas adams
'stunning best series of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the strain by guillermo del toro
'vampires very cool if you like his movies youll like this book. first in series cant wait for the rest

spin by robert charles wilson
'best scifi book ever written!!!!!!!!!!!!

dark tower series by stephen kin
'best series thats not comedy

under the dome by king
'long but cool

century rain by alastair reynolds
'not that good

the passage by justin cronin
'very cool cant wait for next book

slaughterhouse five by kurt vonnegut
great but STRANGE book, get the version read by ethan hawke

Cats cradle vonnegut
Still listening! but good

edit best auto book

automotive technology by jack erjavic

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreafahy (Post 740536)
Ya know, I just read Gatsby and enjoyed it just fine! I've recently read some Stephen King, liked it; not too big on his Bachman stuff. Learned I don't like mysteries so much, at least not the mysteries I've picked up thus far. Too cheesy and modern.

I also suck at book discussions, can't give a summary worth a damn. I can tell you if I enjoyed it or not, lol.

non-fiction reading? Jeep forum :) Hoping to get my hands on a particular automotive book so I can learn some basics. Anytime I get into something, I like to read up on it. Just got my new cat care book in, actually it's the fourth copy I've bought of it; given it away and also my last one had to be replaced.

gatsby was well written, i just couldn't give a damn about the characters.
most of king's older stuff is where it's at. the stand or the shining are my favorites. christine, misery, eyes of the dragon, cycle of the werewolf (you can read it in an hour), pet sematary.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 740544)
Im huge on reading, well listening to audiobooks.
hitchhikers guide books by douglas adams
'stunning best series of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
under the dome by king
'long but cool

I never did much listening to audio, I like to convince Greg to read to me :punk:

I keep hearing about this Hitchhiker's Guide, might need to scoop up a copy. The most current King novel I read was Duma Key, liked it. Under the Dome really does look huge!

Hunger Games, I guess it's written for middle school kids, but that was a good read. One of the books that helped me transition back into good reading habits.

Wildkarde 08-24-2010 08:47 PM

I have always loved to read. I tend to stay with fantasy, but have been known to read a few westerns, Some Dickens and HP Lovecraft. Love a good Clive Cussler book as well. I have read most of Stephen King's books, living in Maine it's hard not to :) Under the Dome was good but not his best work by far. Love historical novels about any war...

Hitchhiker is good but you need to read all three to really enjoy the story

Hmmm it appears upon further thought that I will read just about anything except romance novels....

We have long winters, nothing better than reading a good book waiting for a snow storm to pass

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 740548)
gatsby was well written, i just couldn't give a damn about the characters.

good point...

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreafahy (Post 740542)
Never got into comics myself. I just realized your avatar must be a comic character?

yep, mr. sinister. he's a villain from the xmen and a real bastard, lol. i have reallt gotten lazy on my comics the past several years, but my favorite is batman. i also like older superman, xmen, the punisher, hellboy. there is seriously some good writing and story telling in modern comics.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 740555)
I have read most of Stephen King's books, living in Maine it's hard not to :)

We were on a roll editing Greg's book this past winter/spring. Had a deadline set and everything. Then it hit - SUMMER! All work ceased! He said "Now I know how King writes so many books. He stays inside b/c it's too cold in Maine!"

bobjenkins 08-24-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreafahy (Post 740554)
I never did much listening to audio, I like to convince Greg to read to me :punk:

I keep hearing about this Hitchhiker's Guide, might need to scoop up a copy. The most current King novel I read was Duma Key, liked it. Under the Dome really does look huge!

Hunger Games, I guess it's written for middle school kids, but that was a good read. One of the books that helped me transition back into good reading habits.

Ive got the hunger games on my list:):)

audiobooks are where its at lol

Wildkarde 08-24-2010 08:51 PM

Comics are great in the fact that they have achieved story arcs that span decades, what other kind of writing can say that. Used to be a huge x men fan, kinda fell out of touch as life went on.... wish i hadn't tho.

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 08:52 PM

someone mention h.p. lovecraft. his stuff is out there, and you really have to be willing to suspend any disbelief, but it's great stuff to read. that man had one of the best imaginations of the 20th century.

the divine comedy is also a compelling read. it's 700 years old and still terrifying.

bobjenkins 08-24-2010 08:56 PM

oh dont forget twilight saga only the best books EVER WRITTEN HANDED DOWN FROM GOD HIMSELF:punk::punk:
:9lame:

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 740563)
Ive got the hunger games on my list:):)

audiobooks are where its at lol

I really liked the plot and the writing style. I tend to be fussy about writing styles. Sometimes I make myself finish a book to be more open minded, other times I say forget it, there are so many other choices out there.

There's also a sequel to Hunger Games, I don't think I've read it yet. erm, or have I? I have a terrible memory :( Oh I DID read it, Catching Fire. But look, there is a third and final book, MockingJay!
Home - Suzanne Collins I take it back, I read most of Catching Fire, then it was way overdue at the library and I returned it; never having finished it!

**ETA - what a coincidence! Collin's Mockingjay is available as of TODAY! hehe

Mr. Sinister 08-24-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 740579)
oh dont forget twilight saga only the best books EVER WRITTEN HANDED DOWN FROM GOD HIMSELF:punk::punk:

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Seriously, Harry Potter is good.

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are great as well.
The Chronicles of Narnia are a little too kiddie and the story just fell apart towards the end.

cavediverjc 08-24-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreafahy (Post 740554)

I read the first book of the series The Hunger Games because it was required at my college (not sure why), then liked it so much I bought the other 2 in the trilogy.

Here they are in order.....

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

I'm in flight school, so all I'm presently reading are flight manuals and such.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 740565)
kinda fell out of touch as life went on.... wish i hadn't tho.

It's never too late. I fell out of reading around age 11, a few years ago I worked on getting back into it. It took me 2-3 years but I love it again

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 740579)

I read this post, thought ummm, really? Scanned over to see who posted it and then noticed the lame sign, hahaha

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 740594)
DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Seriously, Harry Potter is good.

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are great as well.
The Chronicles of Narnia are a little too kiddie and the story just fell apart towards the end.

I read The Hobbit when I was younger and liked it, I loved The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in Fourth Grade... although Greg did his senior paper on it, lol Can't say much, my senior paper was on Alice in Wonderland. That's been a favorite of mine since childhood

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 740596)
I read the first book of the series The Hunger Games because it was required at my college (not sure why), then liked it so much I bought the other 2 in the trilogy.

Here they are in order.....

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

I'm in flight school, so all I'm presently reading are flight manuals and such.

I didn't know if I should be embarrassed to read those, The Hunger Games came from the library and was marked something like 8th grade level. But it was really very good. I like when someone writes about a subject that could be touchy to most folks.

Wildkarde 08-24-2010 09:08 PM

As far as comics it got to the point that Marvel had spread out the x men and spider man book's/stories across to many differnent titles for me to keep up with, couldn't justify spending that kinda cash every month...I prefer to keep the good memories of comics and think I will stay with books.

However as soon as I have children of the right age they will be introduced to Comics. I have always thought that they are they best way to get kids into reading and to show them that it doesnt have to be a chore or work.

andreafahy01 08-24-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 740620)

However as soon as I have children of the right age they will be introduced to Comics. I have always thought that they are they best way to get kids into reading and to show them that it doesnt have to be a chore or work.

Cheers! While I know nothing of comics other than what you guys have told me this evening, I can totally support this notion. Reading is taught to us in such a way that we don't want to like it. On my own I LOVED reading, school taught me to despise it. :(

Do you have children now? I don't, but I've done private teaching and tutoring in the past and reading/spelling/writing is one of my favorite subjects to work with (pre-school and grade school)