Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   High Lift Jacks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/high-lift-jacks-594114.html)

snakechaser 03-17-2014 08:46 AM

High Lift Jacks

I am curious why everyone is so fascinated by high lift jacks. Down here on the farm it is my last choice for jacking purposes (can't even remember the last time I used one), most unstable jack ever invented imo. For offroading I would think something like the ARB Bushranger X-jack would be much more practical.
Just wondering outloud.

Scott-CJ8 03-17-2014 08:54 AM

Its not necessarily a garage tool - although it can be used that way. It is very heavy-duty and can take a lot of weight and abuse. Also a great tool for getting un-stuck. When used properly, it can be used as a come-along winch. Tall enough to get you out of a deep rut. I always have mine handy and have used it alot.

jadmt 03-17-2014 08:58 AM

I bet 90% have them just because they look tough lol. I bet there are a ton of people who carry them who have no idea that you need to strap your axle to the frame if you are trying to change a tire. I carry a 10 ton bottle jack and a scissor jack. some times I throw in the hi-lift but only if I need it spread a culvert back into shape lol.

Scott-CJ8 03-17-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 9108130)
I bet 90% have them just because they look tough lol. I bet there are a ton of people who carry them who have no idea that you need to strap your axle to the frame if you are trying to change a tire.

???? Huh ?

No need for bashing - like any tool, if you don't know how to use it, what's the point?

Jrozar 03-17-2014 09:33 AM

And for the 10% that do I am sure they are happy they have one... May as well start a thread why do you carry a spare tire when more than 90% of people never use them...Or better yet why have a winch.....wait or lockers...or why have a lift when 90% of people are never in terrains that really would need them....

Because to many it just looks cool....

Quote:

I bet 90% have them just because they look tough lol. I bet there are a ton of people who carry them who have no idea that you need to strap your axle to the frame if you are trying to change a tire. I carry a 10 ton bottle jack and a scissor jack. some times I throw in the hi-lift but only if I need it spread a culvert back into shape lol.

jadmt 03-17-2014 09:38 AM

not seeing where I bashed at all, just stated my opinion. I know from experience that you don't need to use a HI-Lift often and you can tell they have been used (I grew up working on a farm) and most of the ones I see on the back of jeeps are shiney new.

I am all for people carry what makes them feel good whether for just looks or not.

jadmt 03-17-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrozar (Post 9109050)
And for the 10% that do I am sure they are happy they have one... May as well start a thread why do you carry a spare tire when more than 90% of people never use them...Or better yet why have a winch.....wait or lockers...or why have a lift when 90% of people are never in terrains that really would need them....

Because to many it just looks cool....

I agree sounds like we are on the same page.

Jrozar 03-19-2014 07:46 AM

You can use it as a clamp...a winch....a jack...and many other uses...

you tube it :)

StanF 03-19-2014 08:34 AM

Used one a couple of weeks ago to fix a shackle reversal on the trail by jacking up the frame (via the bumper). This would NOT have been possible with a bottle jack or scissors jack.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it :)

Trailsnail 03-19-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

I carry a strap to hold up my axle. I mentioned to a few fellow Jeepers. They had never thought about it.

I just have a "farm" jack I bought at Tractor Supply. Paid half of what a HiLift is. Painted it red myself for $3.

jadmt 03-19-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrozar (Post 9162962)
You can use it as a clamp...a winch....a jack...and many other uses...

you tube it :)

I first used one well over 40 years ago. They work great for pulling steel fence posts out of the ground. to be used for a winch takes some practice and chain. Hopefully people will practice with them before needing them.