Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Diesel swap, looking for support. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/diesel-swap-looking-for-support-59445.html)

irontom 08-25-2010 07:44 AM

Diesel swap, looking for support.

Hi guys,

Since I think my AX5 will die someday soon (it got a bit loud lately, rattles a hell of a lot. Oil change did not help), this might be a good time for an engine swap.I am doing some research on a diesel engines. It all comes down to a Mercedes diesel, since the Cummins engines are hard to come by here.

I saw a complete thread on a OM617 (straight 5, 3.0 L) with an AX15 transmission (it almost bolts up directly). It looks OK, but I am afraid the OM617 does not have enough power in the end. Especially at lower RPMs.

I would love to put a 3.0 L OM642 V6 CRD, that came with some years of the Grand Cherokee. But the sheer amount of electronics, common rail and other fancy new stuff to the engine would probably make this a failure in the end (not to mention pricey). On the other hand I did drive a GC with that engine and its a sweet ride.

So at one end I have a 40 year old, bullet proof engine vs something that has only a decade on it. So the solution would be surely something in between.

Did anyone come up with pages/threads with different Mercedes engines in Wranglers, preferably YJs? Winter is coming, so I would like to decide about it fairly soon, and start the build.

Or maybe I am doing it wrong? Maybe I should look into other, European (VW, VM motori?), diesel engines?

Oh, and before anyone thinks about that - I do not have to worry about emission laws.

UABYJ94 08-25-2010 09:34 AM

When I saw your thread and read what you are asking the only thread that came to mind was this one on another forum.. It was successful for the most part and in the end I think he was satisfied with the results.
3.0L Mercedes TURBO DIESEL into 1994 YJ - JeepForum.com

hmiller 10-21-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irontom (Post 741160)
Hi guys,

Since I think my AX5 will die someday soon (it got a bit loud lately, rattles a hell of a lot. Oil change did not help), this might be a good time for an engine swap.I am doing some research on a diesel engines. It all comes down to a Mercedes diesel, since the Cummins engines are hard to come by here.

I saw a complete thread on a OM617 (straight 5, 3.0 L) with an AX15 transmission (it almost bolts up directly). It looks OK, but I am afraid the OM617 does not have enough power in the end. Especially at lower RPMs.

I would love to put a 3.0 L OM642 V6 CRD, that came with some years of the Grand Cherokee. But the sheer amount of electronics, common rail and other fancy new stuff to the engine would probably make this a failure in the end (not to mention pricey). On the other hand I did drive a GC with that engine and its a sweet ride.

So at one end I have a 40 year old, bullet proof engine vs something that has only a decade on it. So the solution would be surely something in between.

Did anyone come up with pages/threads with different Mercedes engines in Wranglers, preferably YJs? Winter is coming, so I would like to decide about it fairly soon, and start the build.

Or maybe I am doing it wrong? Maybe I should look into other, European (VW, VM motori?), diesel engines?

Oh, and before anyone thinks about that - I do not have to worry about emission laws.

with very light mods the om617 can produce good power

sinepome 10-21-2012 10:25 PM

Some company does the tdi (vw) motor swap. Think it's 15k out the door. Crate motor and all. That being said, it's possible But with any swap it can become $$$. GL.