Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Plastidip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/plastidip-594498.html)

oosh09 03-17-2014 01:01 PM

Plastidip

So I am a brand new jeep owner, 2009 unlimited x, and of course new to the forum. I saw a ton of discussions about plastidip and decided to try it out on my spare tire's rim. I had some issues when I put the lug nuts back on. When I tightened them the plastidip started to peel. Any advice on how to not run into this issue again?

fdisker 03-17-2014 01:12 PM

I've read that putting nickels in the holes, then taking them out after dipping works well. I haven't done it myself though.

ferninAZ 03-17-2014 01:15 PM

I heard using real paint works well. You could also get them powdercoated.

n3tfury 03-17-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdisker (Post 9114450)
I've read that putting nickels in the holes, then taking them out after dipping works well. I haven't done it myself though.

That's what I did. Works fine.

XTRyan 03-17-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdisker (Post 9114450)

Nickles or washers. I've dipped a few sets of wheels and I always do this. Just make sure your last coat of dip is fairly heavy and you remove the nickles/washers before it completely dries. Otherwise you're just going to peel the dip. You can also use a variety of paint thinners to liquefy the dip and wipe it off. If you wait until everything is set up, and use some thinner on a q-tip where the lugs contact the wheel, you won't have any twisting. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferninAZ (Post 9114522)
I heard using real paint works well. You could also get them powdercoated.

Real paint is nice if you are keeping the look permanently. I don't plan on keeping my daily for more than a few years and I think it'll be easier to sell stock, but I got tired of walking past it in the parking lot. So I used dip in a few places to set it apart from the pack. It's nice to be able to go back to stock with just some peeling.

-Ryan

MangoTango34 03-17-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oosh09 (Post 9114106)
on my spare tire's rim.

Welcome to the world of Jeep. Just a heads up, Jeeps have wheels, not rims. Some people take that seriously... it can be scary.

PhotoWrangler 03-17-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oosh09 (Post 9114106)
Any advice on how to not run into this issue again?

Don't do it.

Anything from a $2.97 can of spray-able rubber is going to peel eventually.

n3tfury 03-17-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 9120834)
Don't do it.

Anything from a $2.97 can of spray-able rubber is going to peel eventually.

It's actually $6+

And no, it won't peel unless you're smacking your wheels against rocks (which you should be) but on other parts it holds up fine. Had my grille done for over two years with no peeling issues.

Next!

Afmcronnie 03-18-2014 06:21 AM

Ive had Plastidip on my stock steelies for over 2 years. Still looks good.