Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/)
-   -   Need mirrors - Know of a local shop? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/need-mirrors-know-of-a-local-shop-59694.html)

harwa004 08-27-2010 12:00 AM

Need mirrors - Know of a local shop?
 
Hi, NC Jeepin' Folks! :wavey:

I am looking for a local shop where I can go and buy mirrors to mount when I go doorless. I really want to put my hands on them before I purchase, so I am looking for any shops in the Greensboro to Raleigh vacinity. (I am in Burlington)

Anyone know if I can locate CJ mirrors from a junkyard, can those be used? I am ideally looking for black CJ style mirrors. Willing to temporarily put them in the door hinge brackets and order a set of the windshield mounts to convert later if necessary.

I went to the local Harley dealership and they let me take a set of mirrors out and hold them up to my doorless jeep. I am not only looking to be street-legal, but really want the functionality as well, since mine is a daily driver and I do alot of highway driving.

Or, does anyone have a set they are looking to sell for cheap? I want them now!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

tarheel 08-27-2010 04:10 AM

I just picked up a couple of 5 inch round black mirrors at Agri-Supply in Garner. I have arms already so I was looking for just the mirrors that I could attach to the arms I use. They were less than $10 each.

harwa004 08-27-2010 05:29 AM

Any chance you have pics of them on your Jeep? Do they have the arms there also? THANKS!

harwa004 08-27-2010 01:36 PM

Tarheel--I looked at the website for Agri Supply. Saw the ATV mirrors and thought, hmmmm.....

The store looked really similar to a Tractor Supply type of store. I ran over to my Tractor Supply, they only had 1 mirror. Not one type, ONE mirror. ARGH.

Walmart was next door, so I went in there and they had 2 black ATV mirrors with the arms. Gonna try to install them later this afternoon!

Also going to mount some new lights I bought from Craigslist with the windshield mounting brackets. Going to have to have help wiring them, but I am going to get them "on" the Jeep at least.

I will take pics when I get everything on tonight/tomorrow morning and post them for opinions.

THANKS! I would have NEVER thought to look into ATV mirrors without your response about that shop!

Gate53 08-27-2010 01:51 PM

Try a Harley shop some of their mirrors slide right into the hindge rings.

harwa004 08-27-2010 01:58 PM

I must have had a blonde moment on my first post. I started mentioning that I had looked at a Harley shop, but then my brain lost its train of thought...

The Harley mirrors I found were so small, they would not really do me much good as being functional. The ATV mirrors I found this afternoon are made like the Harley mirrors--they "look" like they will drop right into the door hinge thingies when I take the half-doors off.

Gonna try it out tonight and see!

mikes05unlimited 08-27-2010 04:36 PM

if you have a carquest near you they have a cataolgue that they can order diferent heads and arms for whatever you want, decent price too

harwa004 08-27-2010 06:18 PM

Thanks, Mike. I will check that out.

I just tried putting the ATV mirrors on. The threads on the end of the arm (that would slide into the door hinges) don't go down far enough to bolt in. And, they are a tad loose, so they have to be bolted. I know I can go to Lowe's or somewhere and get something to extend it, but...

When I sit in the Jeep and "look" at the mirrors as if I am using them, I am not satisfied. They look fine from the exterior, and would make me street legal, but I dont think they are going to be very functional. They are going back to the store in the morning.

This is why I want to find them locally so I can try them and take them back without the hassle of shipping stuff back and forth.:banghead:

What about truck mirrors--you know, the kind like they use on the big Fords/Chevys, that have 2 arms. I know that would require drilling into the body of the Jeep. Anybody done this? Thoughts?

Also, when I take the doors off and laid them down in the kitchen floor, it seems like I can take out the mirror from the bracket attached to the door. Haven't done it yet, but it somehow looks like that may work to bolt them into the door hinges? Anybody tried that? Pipe dream?

InfernoGirl 08-27-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 745185)
Tarheel--I looked at the website for Agri Supply. Saw the ATV mirrors and thought, hmmmm.....

The store looked really similar to a Tractor Supply type of store. I ran over to my Tractor Supply, they only had 1 mirror. Not one type, ONE mirror. ARGH.

Walmart was next door, so I went in there and they had 2 black ATV mirrors with the arms. Gonna try to install them later this afternoon!

Also going to mount some new lights I bought from Craigslist with the windshield mounting brackets. Going to have to have help wiring them, but I am going to get them "on" the Jeep at least.

I will take pics when I get everything on tonight/tomorrow morning and post them for opinions.

THANKS! I would have NEVER thought to look into ATV mirrors without your response about that shop!

Hey Shell, just a thought to keep in mind with the offroad lights on the windshield.... If you mount them low on the hinge bolts, for me they make a major blind spot. I drove a buddies Jeep with lights mounted there and really hated them... :(

harwa004 08-27-2010 07:52 PM

Thanks, Linda. Didn't even think about that! I will get someone to hold them up on each side and let me sit in the jeep and check it out before I start dismantling her.

I got them from a local guy -- what a steal. Both lights (in black, of course! No chrome, right??) and black windshield mounting brackets. The original wiring is in the original box. He mounted them but never ran the wires. Did it for "looks". All that for $35.

I was rather proud of my purchase. :D

I figured if I didn't want them located there, I could mount them on the front bumper and sell the brackets.

tarheel 08-28-2010 02:16 AM

I got one of my mirrors on last night. The bolts in the mirror are too short to go through my arms and I only had one the right size. Got to hit the hardware store today. I used to use relocation brackets that mounted at the windshield hinges for my stock mirrors. Always hard to see out of passenger side if doors were on.
Now I have a set of 03-06 style mounted to my soft doors and this set I mount when doors are off (most of spring/summer). The arms I have I ordered a couple of years ago. They are sturdy and with the new mirrors I have now there is no vibration. I keep a ratcheting wrench in the jeep to remove them (~10 seconds) if I have to put doors back on quickly. I'll try to get pix up tonight if I have enough time. This is my work week (7 on/7off) and I do 12 hr shifts on Sat/Sun.
Got to get this finished, flares trimmed/painted, and install a puck to level the rear before Labor day trip to Uwharrie.:punk:
Glenn

harwa004 08-28-2010 11:54 AM

Thanks! Maybe there is hope for me yet! Love to see pics....

Walkingstick 08-28-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004
Hi, NC Jeepin' Folks! :wavey:

I am looking for a local shop where I can go and buy mirrors to mount when I go doorless. I really want to put my hands on them before I purchase, so I am looking for any shops in the Greensboro to Raleigh vacinity. (I am in Burlington)

Anyone know if I can locate CJ mirrors from a junkyard, can those be used? I am ideally looking for black CJ style mirrors. Willing to temporarily put them in the door hinge brackets and order a set of the windshield mounts to convert later if necessary.

I went to the local Harley dealership and they let me take a set of mirrors out and hold them up to my doorless jeep. I am not only looking to be street-legal, but really want the functionality as well, since mine is a daily driver and I do alot of highway driving.

Or, does anyone have a set they are looking to sell for cheap? I want them now!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Im in NC and I have my doors off all the time. Never had problems with the police, with the no mirror thing.

harwa004 08-28-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick (Post 746809)
Im in NC and I have my doors off all the time. Never had problems with the police, with the no mirror thing.

Yeah, I really wanted a set for tonight. They are bringing back "draggin' Main Street" tonight in Burlington for one night only. I am driving the jeep "naked" and know the cops will be watching everyone there tonight, so I didn't want to chance it.

But, I am now stuck with no options. So, I am going to take my chances. My Jeep mechanic says that he never runs mirrors and has never had an issue. I not only want to be street legal, but want them to be functional. I drive with my mirrors and do a ton of highway driving.

Oh well. I may be on here posting tomorrow about the ticket I got....I think as long as I give them no other reason to stop me, they will leave me alone.

Walkingstick 08-28-2010 09:05 PM

Well it should be fine since you have a rear view mirror

harwa004 08-28-2010 11:54 PM

It was FREAKING amazing tonight. Had a bit of a "moment" with the law....but turns out he was just wanting me to turn my headlights (usually you turn them off as to not blind everyone). Not a word about the mirrors missing. :>

And they were after everyone left and right. So I think as long as I don't do anything stupid and get stopped for that, then they won't say anything about my MIA mirrors.

Walkingstick 08-29-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004
It was FREAKING amazing tonight. Had a bit of a "moment" with the law....but turns out he was just wanting me to turn my headlights (usually you turn them off as to not blind everyone). Not a word about the mirrors missing. :>

And they were after everyone left and right. So I think as long as I don't do anything stupid and get stopped for that, then they won't say anything about my MIA mirrors.

I'm glad you had fun.
And yes be mindful around the cops :)

harwa004 08-29-2010 12:18 AM

Yeah, the lights-off thing is just cruisin' on the strip...creeping about 3 mph, streets lights everywhere. Ya know.

He was nice enough. Just stepped around and asked if I would turn on my headlights for him.

I think I will order some black CJ-style mirrors. I have been torn, because I hear they vibrate. But I hear using relocation brackets for my TJ mirrors is just as bad, because you can't see the passenger mirror with the skins on. ARGH. :banghead:

So, I will just choose the ones I want without considering the negative points. I just love the look of the long-arm CJ Style black mirrors!

Walkingstick 08-29-2010 12:45 AM

Yeah haha.... I go with no doors even in winter. :)

tarheel 08-29-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick (Post 746809)
Im in NC and I have my doors off all the time. Never had problems with the police, with the no mirror thing.

NC law requires 2 rear view mirrors. Just have to run across the right LEO to get stopped. A SHP friend says he doesn't usually pull over motorists for that infraction. But he said if he is suspicious for some reason that gives him the legal right to stop the vehicle. Same with the new law about license plate covers. Plus I just like to be able to watch what's behind me :D

Walkingstick 08-29-2010 02:07 AM

Two yes. On review in cab and one on driver side door... However I can see everything with the top down and no doors.

Walkingstick 08-29-2010 02:09 AM

But I can drive without a windshield... All they require is that if you have a windshield that is needs to have wiper blades

tarheel 08-29-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick (Post 747739)
Two yes. On review in cab and one on driver side door... However I can see everything with the top down and no doors.

Still easier to monitor with mirrors:D And it's 2 mirrors in any combination. If your inside mirror is obstructed as in delivery trucks, etc you must have 2 outside. I run most of the spring/summer without top/doors and can hear most vehicles around me except those damn Prius' at low speed. My tires drown out their hum!:punk:

tarheel 08-29-2010 02:50 AM

I found the link to the site I ordered my arms:
Jeep Door Off Mirror Bracket Arm

couple of the shots they have with 5 inch round mirrors:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...de_5inch_2.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...de_5inch_2.jpg

These are a little pricey but they have held up through many hits and they don't vibrate with the mirrors that I have now. The cheap autozone mirrors vibrated due to their swivel joint on back.:cool:

Shadeemry 08-29-2010 03:06 AM

here, i love these, dependable big sturdy adjustable and strong, cheap to. Cipa 44701 Jeep Cj Oe Style Black Manual Replacement Driver Side Mirror 27 bucks at autozone... And didnt i see you at food lion the other day?

Shadeemry 08-29-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheel (Post 747779)
I found the link to the site I ordered my arms:
Jeep Door Off Mirror Bracket Arm

couple of the shots they have with 5 inch round mirrors:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...de_5inch_2.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...de_5inch_2.jpg

These are a little pricey but they have held up through many hits and they don't vibrate with the mirrors that I have now. The cheap autozone mirrors vibrated due to their swivel joint on back.:cool:


if you tourq them to 20 ft pound they wont go anywhere :)

tarheel 08-29-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeemry (Post 747785)
if you tourq them to 20 ft pound they wont go anywhere :)

That was the problem with rectangular ones I got at autozone....couldn't torque them enough to stop the vibration. I like the mirror but the swivel joint wasn't sturdy. I tightened the swivel to the arm fine but the ball joint of the swivel was not firm.:banghead:

Shadeemry 08-29-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheel

That was the problem with rectangular ones I got at autozone....couldn't torque them enough to stop the vibration. I like the mirror but the swivel joint wasn't sturdy. I tightened the swivel to the arm fine but the ball joint of the swivel was not firm.:banghead:

I woulda got my money back, mine are more if a pain to move once set.

Walkingstick 08-29-2010 12:24 PM

Go with HMMV mirrors. :)

harwa004 08-29-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeemry (Post 747784)
here, i love these, dependable big sturdy adjustable and strong, cheap to. Cipa 44701 Jeep Cj Oe Style Black Manual Replacement Driver Side Mirror 27 bucks at autozone... And didnt i see you at food lion the other day?


Me? In Burlington? If so, then quite possibly....what were you in? Did you speak/wave? Come up to me next time and tell me who you are!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.