Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Oceano dunes run (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/oceano-dunes-run-59829.html)

docholiday13 08-28-2010 01:52 PM

Oceano dunes run

Is anyone interested on making a run tomorrow or next weekend???
I need to get out of the valley!

andiesel 09-10-2010 05:50 PM

I'll be there around 2:30

yomondo 09-10-2010 06:06 PM

Never been there. Heard it's fun. I've been wanting to hit that area for a while now, but it's too long of a drive for me for a day run. Maybe someday if it incorporates overnight camping. And I'm not available this weekend anyway. :(

BeantownR6 09-11-2010 10:52 AM

where is that?

yomondo 09-11-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 767644)
where is that?

35.088354,-120.630076
Oceano Dunes SVRA

QtMcShorty 09-11-2010 12:46 PM

I would love to go, but already have plans!!
I still haven't seen you around town Doc????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

docholiday13 09-20-2010 04:29 AM

why am I just reading this now?

I dunno Qt....it seems like there are alot of Tjs and Jks on my side of town.....but the Jks dont wave.

I might go this weekend for my bday but no solid plans yet.

Rebuilt 09-20-2010 11:58 AM

I would join you but it is a really long drive from the la region, I agree with the camping idea. if there was an overnight involved to get a full day of riding out there

QtMcShorty 09-20-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 779629)
why am I just reading this now?

I dunno Qt....it seems like there are alot of Tjs and Jks on my side of town.....but the Jks dont wave.

I might go this weekend for my bday but no solid plans yet.

I WAVE at everyone......I don't know what side of town you are on.......

docholiday13 09-20-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtMcShorty (Post 780027)
I WAVE at everyone......I don't know what side of town you are on.......

I live down the street from the new Costco..

docholiday13 09-20-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebuilt
I would join you but it is a really long drive from the la region, I agree with the camping idea. if there was an overnight involved to get a full day of riding out there

I'm willing to go camp out there for the weekend....or maybe a hotel. Let's get a trip going with some members.

What's a good weekend for everyone to go out?

yomondo 09-20-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 780269)
I'm willing to go camp out there for the weekend....or maybe a hotel. Let's get a trip going with some members.

What's a good weekend for everyone to go out?

Weekend after next works for me. 10/2-10/3. Camping at the SVRA might be better than hotelling it. Easier to get some more play time in before heading home the next morning. But I don't know how the camping is over there. Anybody know?

andiesel 09-21-2010 04:08 PM

I'm down for the night of 10/2...and what's this noise about a hotel?!? It's a beach. You camp on it. Bring firewood and a cooler full of beer. I've been camping out there all summer.

yomondo 09-21-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andiesel (Post 781824)
I'm down for the night of 10/2...and what's this noise about a hotel?!? It's a beach. You camp on it. Bring firewood and a cooler full of beer. I've been camping out there all summer.

I've never been there before. Is the camping good? Are reservations necessary/required?

docholiday13 09-21-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andiesel (Post 781824)

haha fine its settled no hotel just camping....

I dont think we will need reservations for that time

flags on rigs are optional

heres a good article

Off-Road Travel Oceano Dunes SVRA aka Pismo Dunes : Off-Road.com

also
http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cap...eano-dunes.htm

Rebuilt 09-21-2010 11:38 PM

AHHHH I wish i could join you all. How i wish i didn't have a game that weekend

yomondo 09-22-2010 02:06 AM

Sounds like a good time wheeling, drinking and camping is in the works! Does anybody mind if I invite some others from another group I wheel with?

QtMcShorty 09-22-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 780246)
I live down the street from the new Costco..

Ha, I am at Costco at least once a week!!!!
But I am on the other side of town, off of Demaree by the NEW CVS Pharmacy! We need to get together SOON DARNIT!!!! Go drag around in the bottom of Kaweah now that water is almost gone!!! Let me know........
I am in a wedding the weekend you are going to the dunes or I would be in there like swimwear!

andiesel 09-22-2010 05:43 PM

I would definitely recommend purchasing a flag for your vehicle if you are planning on playing in the dunes. The sand shifts daily so no dune stays the same and there are a ton of younger kids on quads - make yourself as visible as possible. You can pick up flags at any of the off roading supply places for less than $10 - zip tie them to the back of your jeep.

Re: reservations - if you pay for a reservation it essentially gets you in the gate if the place is sold out. I would recommend spending the money to ensure you get a spot. Nothing like driving a few hours to get turned away at the gate. You will still have to pay a camping and day pass which I believe is $10 a car for one night and the next day.

Camping is good. I personally sleep in the back of my fiance's FJ Cruiser with an air mattress as I prefer to wake up without sand in certain crevices. If you're feeling manly bring a tent and rough it. Purchase firewood before embarking on your journey as you will pay top dollar in town.

CAMP ABOVE THE HIGH TIDE LINE. That will ruin your night if you don't.

bobjenkins 09-22-2010 05:59 PM

man I need to move to CA already

docholiday13 09-23-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 782682)
Sounds like a good time wheeling, drinking and camping is in the works! Does anybody mind if I invite some others from another group I wheel with?

I have no problem with it

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtMcShorty (Post 782689)
Ha, I am at Costco at least once a week!!!!
But I am on the other side of town, off of Demaree by the NEW CVS Pharmacy! We need to get together SOON DARNIT!!!! Go drag around in the bottom of Kaweah now that water is almost gone!!! Let me know........
I am in a wedding the weekend you are going to the dunes or I would be in there like swimwear!

haha your always to cool!
I will be in England for most of the month so its going to be my only weekend trip I can take for a while...
You can go mudding in Kaweah????

Quote:

Originally Posted by andiesel (Post 783648)
I would definitely recommend purchasing a flag for your vehicle if you are planning on playing in the dunes. The sand shifts daily so no dune stays the same and there are a ton of younger kids on quads - make yourself as visible as possible. You can pick up flags at any of the off roading supply places for less than $10 - zip tie them to the back of your jeep.

Re: reservations - if you pay for a reservation it essentially gets you in the gate if the place is sold out. I would recommend spending the money to ensure you get a spot. Nothing like driving a few hours to get turned away at the gate. You will still have to pay a camping and day pass which I believe is $10 a car for one night and the next day.

Camping is good. I personally sleep in the back of my fiance's FJ Cruiser with an air mattress as I prefer to wake up without sand in certain crevices. If you're feeling manly bring a tent and rough it. Purchase firewood before embarking on your journey as you will pay top dollar in town.

CAMP ABOVE THE HIGH TIDE LINE. That will ruin your night if you don't.

Couldnt have said it better myself!
I dont think I can fit a mattress in my Jeep though..

Im in to go I will already be in the are for Jimmy Eat World on the 1st in Slo but who else is seriously interested in going?
Anyone is welcome the more the merrier!

yomondo 09-23-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 784386)
who else is seriously interested in going?
Anyone is welcome the more the merrier!

By my count so far we have:

docholiday13
andeisel
yomondo

Right? Or did I miss somebody?

I'm gonna hit up some other Jeepers I know to possibly come along too.

I've never been there, so perhaps I'll leave the logistics to y'all who have. Is there a good place nearby where everyone can meet up? What's a good time to meet?

Oh, and how does one make camping reservations? The website somewhere said to call 800-444-7275, but I thought I also saw somewhere to reserve through ReserveAmerica.

yomondo 09-23-2010 10:43 PM

...and also.....do y'all have CB radios?

docholiday13 09-23-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 785959)

I dont have one.......

btw Im going to bring a friend as well he drives a Chevy Silverado......were about to buy the permits

yomondo 09-23-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 786055)
were about to buy the permits

Permits? What are these permits called, and where do you buy them?

docholiday13 09-23-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 786063)
Permits? What are these permits called, and where do you buy them?

for the campsites......my buddy always uses reserveamerica.com and hasnt had any issues

yomondo 09-23-2010 11:53 PM

Thanks! I just made my reservation. Whew!!! There were only 948 spots left. ;)

yomondo 09-23-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 784412)
Is there a good place nearby where everyone can meet up? What's a good time to meet?

Ideas? Suggestions?

yomondo 09-24-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholiday13 (Post 786055)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 785959)

I dont have one.

No big deal, but if y'all can get your hands on one it really helps to be able to communicate out there.

docholiday13 09-24-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 786110)
Ideas? Suggestions?

maybe the Vons?

vons grover beach - Google Maps