Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Cheapo Off-Road lights from Northern Tool (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cheapo-off-road-lights-from-northern-tool-59830.html)

Hendy 08-28-2010 01:53 PM

Cheapo Off-Road lights from Northern Tool

So I picked up a pair to mount to my windshield hinge brackets a few weeks ago. I put them on today and ran the wiring under the cowl and in through the drivers side firewall. I have a switch to mount on the dash and the instructions say to take the blue power wire with an inline 10amp fuse either directly to the battery or to a 12V source in the fuse box.

Questions:

1. Should I run a relay from the battery and connect to that?

2. How would I wire up a relay and switch in "lay mans" terms please. I did look at the write-up on Stu Olsons site but I must not be smart enough to figure out the diagram he provided...

3. If I can just run the blue wire off the switch to a 12V power source in the fuse box then any recommendations as to where to connect it? The instructions don't mention using a relay at all...

Jerry Bransford 08-28-2010 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Driving lights need a relay for two reasons... 1) To prevent the full amperage a driving light requires from needing to pass into the passenger compartment and through the on-off switch. Typical automotive size on-off switches can't handle that much current without eventually burning the switch contacts up. 2) So the driving light will be as bright as it is designed to be. The length of wire needed to connect everything up would have to be extremely heavy gauge for there to be no voltage loss that would dim it.

Here's a good wiring diagram to use which uses the required relay. You can use lighter gauge wiring between the switch and relay like 16 gauge, use heavier gauge like 12 gauge between the relay, battery, and lights.

Hendy 08-28-2010 02:48 PM

Thanks Jerry, I am heading off to Autozone for a relay right now

Atthehop 08-28-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 746584)
Driving lights need a relay for two reasons... 1) To prevent the full amperage a driving light requires from needing to pass into the passenger compartment and through the on-off switch. Typical automotive size on-off switches can't handle that much current without eventually burning the switch contacts up. 2) So the driving light will be as bright as it is designed to be. The length of wire needed to connect everything up would have to be extremely heavy gauge for there to be no voltage loss that would dim it.

Here's a good wiring diagram to use which uses the required relay. You can use lighter gauge wiring between the switch and relay like 16 gauge, use heavier gauge like 12 gauge between the relay, battery, and lights.

Jerry,

I like the diagram. You beat me to it. Lol

rbloodhound 08-28-2010 10:21 PM

That is a simple diagram. Easiest one that i have seen in a while.

I learned the hard way about running a relay. I almost burnt down a truck.

Atthehop 08-28-2010 10:32 PM

I learned about relays in wiring 20 years ago while I was learning about bus wiring

jryan 08-29-2010 09:38 AM

post a pick when you're finished...

Jerry Bransford 08-29-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbloodhound (Post 747335)
That is a simple diagram. Easiest one that i have seen in a while.

Yeah that's a good drawing that I can't take credit for. Whoever drew it did a good job on it, anyone can understand it.

Hendy 08-29-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 747984)
Yeah that's a good drawing that I can't take credit for. Whoever drew it did a good job on it, anyone can understand it.

I am proof of that :D

Thanks again Jerry.