Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Passenger Airbag Cover is in fact removable w/ pics. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/passenger-airbag-cover-is-in-fact-removable-w-pics-59971.html)

dgtldre 08-29-2010 05:13 PM

Passenger Airbag Cover is in fact removable w/ pics.

5 Attachment(s)
2000 TJ Sahara

Long story short, I've been trying to remove my passenger side airbag cover for some time now and finally figured out how to do it.

Many people on this forum & forums alike say the airbag cover is not removable because it's riveted in. However, I can tell you for a fact that you can indeed remove it.

There are 2 10mm nuts way up high on each side of the metal casing. They bolt to the frame of the car. The left one is pretty easy to reach, the right one however can be quite tricky. I had to buy a special wrench that spins in place without having to pull it out of the nut. I hope this helps someone as a guide in the future.

Cheers!

Therunner 08-29-2010 05:25 PM

Just curious, why would you want/need to remove the air bag cover?

Ageless Stranger 08-29-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therunner (Post 748522)
Just curious, why would you want/need to remove the air bag cover?

Looks like he's changing interior color judging by the speaker cover just visiable on the right side of the 3rd picture there.

dgtldre 08-29-2010 05:30 PM

tool

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the tool I use as I don't really know what it's called :)

dgtldre 08-29-2010 05:34 PM

The airbag cover was badly damaged (scratched/sun damaged) so I decided to sand it and paint it black as I hate the tan interior. I'm painting the whole dash by the way and had to get the airbag cover off in order to remove the dashboard,

Tarby 08-29-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgtldre (Post 748525)
Here's a pic of the tool I use as I don't really know what it's called :)

10mm gear wrench:punk:

Kate 08-29-2010 06:04 PM

Thank you!
A couple of years ago I tried and tried to get mine off, finally gave up.

Now I don't even remember why I wanted to take it off - sheesh - but it was important at the time!

Jerry Bransford 08-29-2010 06:11 PM

Is that to say the passenger-side air bag is not as difficult to change as the guy who sold me my Rubicon minus that air bag said it is? I have the replacement air bag but it hasn't been very high up on my list of priorities due to the perceived PITA I was told replacing it would be.

dgtldre 08-29-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 748572)
Is that to say the passenger-side air bag is not as difficult to change as the guy who sold me my Rubicon minus that air bag said it is? I have the replacement air bag but it hasn't been very high up on my list of priorities due to the perceived PITA I was told replacing it would be.

Nope, doesn't look too difficult now that the cover is off. I see 2 bolts towards back on the firewall holding the black metal casing and 2 underneath the front metal bar. From what I can tell, thats it, then the black casing/cage containing the airbag pulls out. But I'm not gonna try it as I have no need to pull the airbag out. Trust me, the hard part is getting that darn airbag cover off

Wish_Master_3 01-28-2011 05:39 AM

Ok i have a young child and want him to be able to ride up front with me in my 05 TJ but not putting him up there with an airbag in, and since mine does not come with the cut off switch, is there a way to remove the passenger airbag (possible driver side also, if riding through trails and happen to hit a tree dont want air bag to deploy) but not sure how i feel about trying to put in an aftermarket switch cause dont want to take a chance on it malfunctioning and going off since i would be tampering with a safety issue? So am I able to just remove the Passenger air bag? I mean really i heard of it killing people more than saving them, ive been in a few wrecks and the air bag caused more damage to me than the wreck did.

4Jeepn 01-28-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wish_Master_3 (Post 1019197)
Ok i have a young child and want him to be able to ride up front with me in my 05 TJ but not putting him up there with an airbag in, and since mine does not come with the cut off switch, is there a way to remove the passenger airbag (possible driver side also, if riding through trails and happen to hit a tree dont want air bag to deploy) but not sure how i feel about trying to put in an aftermarket switch cause dont want to take a chance on it malfunctioning and going off since i would be tampering with a safety issue? So am I able to just remove the Passenger air bag? I mean really i heard of it killing people more than saving them, ive been in a few wrecks and the air bag caused more damage to me than the wreck did.

I would leave the kid in the back. Reason being, in the event of a roll or crash, the roll cage is better over the passenger section than the driver section. The winshield frame tends to move toward the front seat area unless you have a full cage setup in the front. Hence kids safer in back. Also as for the airbags going off, off road, not something that will happen on most off road rolls or hitss. Not saying it has not happened but low on the chance scale.

Got 4 Lo 01-28-2011 07:08 AM

how do u get to those bolts

Jerry Bransford 01-28-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wish_Master_3 (Post 1019197)

The air bag system is well known to not go off while offroading no matter how bad or rough the trail is. The only time it goes off is if it needed to, like if you went nose-down over a cliff. Don't worry about it offroad, it's not an issue at all.

Wish_Master_3 01-28-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1019439)
The air bag system is well known to not go off while offroading no matter how bad or rough the trail is. The only time it goes off is if it needed to, like if you went nose-down over a cliff. Don't worry about it offroad, it's not an issue at all.

Ok what about if I wanted my son to ride up front with me is there anyway of installing the switch from an older model in my jeep and having it work the air bag?

Jerry Bransford 01-28-2011 09:10 AM

If you are talking about offroading, simply pull both (!) airbag fuses... but again for offroading, don't worry about it since they won't deploy except if truly needed. Even the roughest trails won't deploy them unless you have a major head-on collision where you want them to deploy.

For onroad, I would either have a switch installed or have him ride in the back seat. A quality switch is not going to cause a problem.

Rubicon2 01-28-2011 09:42 AM

Hmmm I wonder why vehicle manufacturers put airbags in vehicles if they are so dangerous? If you are properly belted in, seat adjusted and everything else in it's place the airbag will work to help preserve yourself. Kids are meant for the backseat until they reach the age of 12 anyway. Vehicles are a lot safer nowadays compared to 20 or 30 years ago. Like Jerry said the airbags won't be a problem off road. They factor in vehicle speed and g forces before they go off. Speeds are way too slow off road for the airbags.

josh40601 11-14-2011 11:11 PM

this was a huge help. I would have never seen those bolts without this thread! Thanks so much WF

Black Magic Brakes 11-15-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh40601 (Post 1745667)
this was a huge help. I would have never seen those bolts without this thread! Thanks so much WF

Just to be clear though, the cover does NOT need to be removed to pull the dash. There are two studs on the firewall up behind the air bag that hold the back of it in place.

Remove those and the dash pops right out after everything else is loose.

arcountryboy 11-28-2011 05:22 PM

Anyone know how to get the dang airbag out? I have pulled the cover, 2 nuts on the firewall, 2 nuts under and behind the grab bar, and one nut between the windshield and dash that is a real pain to get to and it's still in there. Looking at it I'm thinking maybe the dash has to come out??? I hope not, I just pulled the dash not too long ago.

arcountryboy 11-29-2011 01:51 PM

I got it out, not as hard as it seemed, just needed the right tools. 2 nuts on the firewall, 1 nut center of the bag at the top between the windshield and dash, two nuts at the front of the dash close to the grab bar. It will not come out after removing those. Drink a beer or 10 and get a prybar. It will come out then.

For what it's worth, the airbag cover this thread was started for was easy to remove. The 2 10 mm bolts were easy to reach on mine with a regular 1/4 ratchet and socket once the glovebox was removed.

BeerMan 12-04-2011 05:55 PM

THANK YOU!!!! This thread saved me big time. My cover was faded and scratched and showing black (these appear to be the only dash part that isn't solid plastic in its color and are painted) or either mine was replaced and painted. Either way, this thread has been sooooo awesome!!!!:D

smccollamjr 12-04-2011 08:22 PM

I would NOT let my child ride in the front seat without deactivating the airbags. I'm sure Jerry is right about there being a very small chance of setting it off while wheeling, but any chance is too much. Either pull the fuses or put Jr. in the back seat.

eScott 12-04-2011 08:58 PM

Good to know you can remove it, I ended up painting mine in place when I re-did my interior.

Kevbz 12-05-2011 08:23 AM

This thread is great because I can prove to my wife I am not the only person that things all interiors deserve a touch up with paint now and then. She swears i am the only person in the world that will spend an afternoon with a dash apart and spray paint just because of some fading. silly silly wife lol!

TJBen 01-11-2012 09:32 AM

This just worked for me, but that second bolt is a doozie. I had to lay on my back in the passenger seat, feet in the back seat, to get my hands in the right position. Still took about 45 minutes to find, grip, and remove. I'm kinda worried about putting it back on!

The gear wrench is a MUST for this, or it'll take you a year to fix.

Also, nice bloody knuckle in the second pic!

BeerMan 01-11-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJBen (Post 1910419)
This just worked for me, but that second bolt is a doozie. I had to lay on my back in the passenger seat, feet in the back seat, to get my hands in the right position. Still took about 45 minutes to find, grip, and remove. I'm kinda worried about putting it back on!

The gear wrench is a MUST for this, or it'll take you a year to fix.

Also, nice bloody knuckle in the second pic!

X2

I'm over 6'1 225 and contorted myself like crazy to get those bolts out and back in. THANK GOD for beer! :punk:

dutch169 01-11-2012 11:46 AM

I did it to my 97. The tan interior was faded and bought an 03 agate. Had to change a few things with the dash. The 03 cover was already blown. I sanded my tan one and bedlined it. It was a PITA to get back in but not too bad.

erickpl 01-11-2012 11:56 AM

Pics, dutch?

Before and after would be great. I have a 97 with that tan/spice interior, and I've thought about pulling the dash to replace or paint...

dutch169 01-11-2012 12:22 PM

For some reason I didn't take pics of the cover before but I have these.
Before
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...-47-11_437.jpg
After
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...p/a0bfbbeb.jpg
You can barely tell the color difference in the pic. I also did my bezel and gauge cover. If I would have known, I would have just done my tan interior with bedliner. Clean sand clean sand clean sand. I sanded it down a lot and almost smooth. The bedliner has a little texture to it but not to bad. I am going to do the grab handle and glove box cover next. I put an inverter in my glove box and have the mounting screws showing. Good luck.
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...r/e43f02e5.jpg
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...r/573fbbe2.jpg

C.L. 01-11-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 748572)
I have the replacement air bag but it hasn't been very high up on my list of priorities due to the perceived PITA I was told replacing it would be.

Why don't you install it into the driver's headrest, wired to a pressure switch in the seat, the ignition, and a kill switch in your location of choice? That way if someone tries to steal THIS Jeep without hitting the kill switch it'll put their head through the windshield?