Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Performance Chip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/performance-chip-60173.html)

fnm 08-31-2010 12:58 PM

Performance Chip

I'm interested in upping the performance of my Wrangler with a performance chip. Any suggestions? Which one worked for you? What adjustments did you make to the shift points, top speed, etc.?

silvrevo 08-31-2010 03:00 PM

Like a BBQ Chip or Sour Cream?

Croakus 08-31-2010 03:02 PM

I tried Ruffles for a while, but I get more low end torque out of Lays ...

silvrevo 08-31-2010 03:10 PM

Thats what she said.................

davidc128 08-31-2010 03:12 PM

Superchips FLASHPAQ Tuner - Jeep - TruckCustomizers.com

im fixin to get mine (well one day)
ull just have to play around w it there is a bunch of post on this site just search it

castorj29 08-31-2010 03:39 PM

I have the Unichip on mine, Couldnt tell you if i notice any difference or not. Other than its quicker off the line. Costs me 600 bones. I wouldnt waste your money. Buy a winch with the savings.

YoYo-Pete 08-31-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo
Like a BBQ Chip or Sour Cream?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croakus
I tried Ruffles for a while, but I get more low end torque out of Lays ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo

Man I love this forum...

Gee oh Dee 08-31-2010 03:46 PM

Unless your racing your Jeep, its probably not worth it. A guy on here recently posted about his attempt to use his "chip" and he thinks he fried his ECU.

aelwero 08-31-2010 03:57 PM

Welcome to the forums :)

My wifes' mom makes some awesome chili con queso sauce that goes great with any kind of chips.

davidc128 08-31-2010 04:00 PM

its most def worth ur money if i know wat u want to get out of ur programer like the flashpaq i can change my shift point top speed adjust speedometer and odometer for bigger tires and gearing so on so forth... i wouldnt stray away from superchip tho they make a great product and only bout 350 online some do free shipping w it to

Gee oh Dee 08-31-2010 04:28 PM

I understand wanting to adjust for bigger tires or different gears, having an accurate speedo is nice...but whats wrong with the top speed limiter on the trucks? Are your shift points really that poor that they need to be adjusted?

Jeeze, you'd think we wheel at 140mph! :p

cremaley 08-31-2010 04:52 PM

Bought a Superchips Flaspaq on line for $311 and could not be happier with the increased performance of my 2010 Wrangler Sport. Gained lots of low end torque and MPG that I lost when I installed 33x12.5 tires. MPG before the 33's was 16.5. After 33's but before Superchips was 15.2. Now getting 17.6 but also added K & N CAI and MBPR cat back exhausts. Very happy with this setup.

fnm 09-01-2010 07:45 AM

Performance Chip

Cremaley - thanks, very helpful.

Regarding chilli chips, taco chips, potato chips, et al; thanks for the input however the performance I was interested in was not my "back end" performance but rather my Jeep. Yet to find a Jeep that consumes grain based products (other than ethanol) however I will try the chilli suggestion since that should provide additional propulsion.

Croakus 09-01-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 752012)

BTW ... that was awesome.

:punk:

UnlimitedLJ04 09-01-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnm (Post 751786)
I'm interested in upping the performance of my Wrangler with a performance chip. Any suggestions? Which one worked for you? What adjustments did you make to the shift points, top speed, etc.?

what year wrangler? what tire size you running? what engine? what transmission? have you regeared?

Gee oh Dee 09-01-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cremaley (Post 752164)
Bought a Superchips Flaspaq on line for $311 and could not be happier with the increased performance of my 2010 Wrangler Sport. Gained lots of low end torque and MPG that I lost when I installed 33x12.5 tires. MPG before the 33's was 16.5. After 33's but before Superchips was 15.2. Now getting 17.6 but also added K & N CAI and MBPR cat back exhausts. Very happy with this setup.

Are you sure it was the chip that gave you the extra MPG and not the other mods you did? Another member posted in a similar thread that chips only change the vehicle's performace at WOT and near WOT. The post and a link to the thread is just below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 750372)
Remove it and return it for a refund. Even when they work, a Jet Chip does NOTHING until you're at near redline RPMs and at wide-open throttle, not exactly how many drive their Jeeps. By federal EPA law, such chips cannot do anything at all in any other condition other than WOT and at extremely high engine rpms.
I hope your ECM wasn't fried.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/newrepl...reply&p=750372

fnm 09-01-2010 02:35 PM

Performance chip

My Jeep is a 2010 Sahara totally stock. Look'n for a little more oomph. Looks like I should start with cold air intake and cat back system first and then go from there if I'd like more power.

wasomma 09-01-2010 02:43 PM

cold air is wack, get a snorkel thats a true cold air intake, most of the in hood stuff is "cool air" intake

Gee oh Dee 09-01-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasomma (Post 753660)
cold air is wack, get a snorkel thats a true cold air intake, most of the in hood stuff is "cool air" intake

+1, anything kept under hood is gonna be a "hot air" intake.

cremaley 09-01-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee (Post 753383)
Are you sure it was the chip that gave you the extra MPG and not the other mods you did? Another member posted in a similar thread that chips only change the vehicle's performace at WOT and near WOT. The post and a link to the thread is just below...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/newrepl...reply&p=750372

I did the Superchips first and definatley noticed an increase in low end power. The addition of the CAI and cat back made it better but it was there without those two items. Superchips has been in business for 25 years plus so if their product did not work people would not be buying it.

Mr. Sinister 09-01-2010 07:09 PM

i'll just copy and paste my 2 cents from another thread:

Just some things to consider:

Whether or not the FlashPaq is traceable (and it most likely is, most newer PCMs keep a record of every time they are updated), it's a flash program, which overwrites and stores the factory tune. You can only do this so many times before your PCM cannot retain ANY information. If you had an original Playstation and had a memory card crap out on you, it's the same issue. If the PCM has been found to have been tampered with, kiss your power train warranty goodbye.

If you should happen to take your Jeep in for service and they have software updates for your vehicle, they will apply them and overwrite your FlashPaq tune. So basically, you want to put the stock tune back on your Jeep EVERY TIME you take it in for ANY service, or you're left with a $300 paperweight that you can't re-sell.

These tuners only work on one vehicle at a time, so if you're thinking you can buy it, use it and flip it, you can't unless you put your vehicle's stock tune back in.

No matter what people tell you about how much faster their car FEELS, tuners can legally only alter parameters at full throttle. Things like throttle response can be changed, which is most likely the faster "feeling" people get, but air/fuel and timing can only be changed for WOT operation. These tables are typically pretty optimized for a stock vehicle, so altering them is only going to get you a few horses at best. You would notice more of a difference with a tuner after doing headers, exhaust, CAI, stuff like that. But then, you'd be better off with a custom tune from a reputable shop for your exact setup. Ask yourself, are you really that concerned about WOT operation in a Jeep?

I used a FlashPaq on my old Magnum R/T and was pretty underwhelmed by what it did for me. It felt a tiny bit quicker at WOT and I gained maybe 1mpg tops, but it also made the car "buggy" at certain rpms and made the idle rough sometimes. They're just not worth it IMHO.

RubiDubiDoo 09-01-2010 11:25 PM

Mr. S. - True That.
I had a superchip many many years ago and it seemed to do nothing on my Z28. If anything it made it have high speed hesitations....

I wish my Jeep had my Honda Accords hp (245)/performance/fuel mileage ;)

I'd like pay for a little more power out of my Jeep, but I think I have come to terms with... "It is what it is"

I like my RubiDubiDoo.

I think I am putting this idea to rest... at least until the next round of beer starts it all back up agian ;)

GREEN-MACHINE 09-02-2010 09:50 AM

save your 600 bucks over and over again till you have 5k. then buy the avenger super charger. this is what im doing and by feburay it should be installed and im on a fixed income (retired)

BKK 09-03-2010 10:55 PM

I have the Superchip Flashpaq and think its worth it. Just put on a mild 2" lift (OME) and slight tire upgrade - 33's on stock rims. Was just enough to bog it down from stock. On the "93 Octane Performance" setting, performance feels back to "original" plus a little bit. Lot of various programming options - can recalibrate for tire/gears, can return to factory setting when returning to dealer, etc. '08 4dr, Automatic w/3.73's

Mvrosser 09-03-2010 11:43 PM

I have a 2009 JK 2-door, 3.8 auto. Well let's do the math. I installed a Dynamax Turbo exhaust, manufacturer says about a 12 horsepower boost. I installed a K & N Air Intake system, manufacturer says another 8 horsepower boost. Noticed a little difference. Then I bought the Superchips Flashpaq. It has 6 programming modes, I chose 91 octane, with a boost of 15 horsepower & 24 ft/lbs of torque. The difference is like night & day. Used to hate taking the interstate over the Rockies, but no more. I've reverted to the factory program three times for dealer service this month with nothing said and no questions asked. If you're unsure, order the Flashpaq from somewhere reputable like Amazon so you can return it if you don't see an improvement. After updating my Flashpaq the available programs are:

87 Octane Performance
91 Octane Performance
93 Octane Performance
Max Economy
Towing
4 Low

Here in the Mile-Hi city the oxygenated fuel is 85, 87 & 91 octane. I've been running the 91 octane program using 87 octane fuel with no pinging or other problems. I'm sure everyone has there own experiences with performance mods but until you try them on your Jeep you won't know. At least with the Flashpaq, it can easily be undone & returned.

TopHand 10-04-2010 06:22 PM

Mvrosser - dont go off of "manufactures" expected gains. They aren't any where close to what you probably got. How do you know that you aren't "pinging" (knocking)? are you actively doing pulls and collecting data through an open source style tuning program?
Be wary of what the active diagnostics of the Flashpaq, they aren't 100% accurate. I am sure that the canned email tunes that come on these things are mild and you are right in saying that the product can be sold/returned if you dont like what you got.
All im saying is be careful, sh*t can go crazy if its not monitored.

RubiRush 10-04-2010 07:04 PM

Superchips has been in business for a long time. They have done their homework with these tuners. They have a very good reputation in the aftermarket community.

There is a huge difference between a tuner and a chip, and believe me a tuner can make a world of difference in the feel of your vehicle.

The newer JKs are drive by wire, this means there is no throttle cable. The throttle is regulated and controlled by a sensor. This sensor reacts according to the mapping that is programmed into it. Usually the manufacturer maps it so that it gives the smoothest response for all drivers not necessarily the most responsive for performance.

When the programmer remaps these parameters you can definitely feel the difference and usually the programming makes the engine be more efficient so you have a better A/F map which in turn increases HP to a point.

There are many other things that can be controlled and corrected by a programmer that can't be done with a chip without changing the entire program of the chip itself. To me the programmer is worth the money... are you bolting on a supercharger when you install the programmer? No... but the over all drive ability is definitely a lot more fun. And the increased throttle response and performance is noticeable.

My vote is go with the Superchips flashpaq for the Jeep.

ncossey 10-04-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mvrosser (Post 757847)
I have a 2009 JK 2-door, 3.8 auto. Well let's do the math. I installed a Dynamax Turbo exhaust, manufacturer says about a 12 horsepower boost. I installed a K & N Air Intake system, manufacturer says another 8 horsepower boost. Noticed a little difference. Then I bought the Superchips Flashpaq. It has 6 programming modes, I chose 91 octane, with a boost of 15 horsepower & 24 ft/lbs of torque. The difference is like night & day. Used to hate taking the interstate over the Rockies, but no more. I've reverted to the factory program three times for dealer service this month with nothing said and no questions asked. If you're unsure, order the Flashpaq from somewhere reputable like Amazon so you can return it if you don't see an improvement. After updating my Flashpaq the available programs are:

87 Octane Performance
91 Octane Performance
93 Octane Performance
Max Economy
Towing
4 Low

Here in the Mile-Hi city the oxygenated fuel is 85, 87 & 91 octane. I've been running the 91 octane program using 87 octane fuel with no pinging or other problems. I'm sure everyone has there own experiences with performance mods but until you try them on your Jeep you won't know. At least with the Flashpaq, it can easily be undone & returned.

How the hell do you know if you are pinging when you have aluminum heads???? They don't make near as much noise as old forged steel heads. You could be destroying your engine and not even know it.

jgorm 10-05-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mvrosser (Post 757847)
Here in the Mile-Hi city the oxygenated fuel is 85, 87 & 91 octane. I've been running the 91 octane program using 87 octane fuel with no pinging or other problems.

I would normally say that that is a very bad idea, but being at that altitude, its probably fine. Just remember to switch tunes before you go down the mountain!!
The diablo predators claim about 15 hp and 20ftlbs. You can also eliminate the lag in the electronic throttle, change the idle speed, and alter the TPMS. Tuners may not be worth anything to you, but for some people that like to squeeze every last bit of hp out of their vehicle they will probably help. (you will need to run higher octane to take advantage of the extra power.):firedevil:

xloudnproud 06-27-2011 04:18 PM

Superchip for sale $300 message me