Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   back up light, help needed cuz Im a dummy (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/back-up-light-help-needed-cuz-im-a-dummy-60256.html)

Loic 08-31-2010 11:29 PM

back up light, help needed cuz Im a dummy

I bought some 4 inch fog lights to put in the back so I could actually see something while backing up. everything was going well, I was adjusting the height of the light beam to what I wanted, both oem and the add on were working at the same time, cool...... until I turned on the switch I install in the front. I wasn't paying attention and turned it on while it was already in reverse, so it poped the 2A fuse. no problems I have spare. installed the spare , checked the fuse in the fuse box, everything looks good.
except that now I have no back up light running, oem or add on, nothing works :banghead: stop light works, turn light works ,the only rear light that doesn't work are the back up light, there is no way that there is a fuse just for the backup light, right ?

the way I wire the light is that when I engage reverse it will turn them on, and if I need,I can turn themon manually with the switch up front. ( do I make sens ? ) here is a " diagram" how I hook them up

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...P/DSCN0661.jpg

Jeepersbatman 08-31-2010 11:43 PM

When you put it in reverse there should be a switch somewhere to turn the reverse lights on. You have probably overloaded the switch and burned it up. You need to install a relay in there to prevent the load from being on that switch. Not sure where the switch is but i hope that helps a little. Check a haynes manual for the wiring, good luck!

Loic 08-31-2010 11:49 PM

I'll check the swith tomorrow, I think it 's located under the console where the stick shift is. but at the same time, when I turn the lights on with the switch it should still work, unless it also blew up both bulb....
I have the haynes manual, talk about a waste of money.... that thing is useless and pics are bad quality... i need to buy the real service manual

Jeepersbatman 09-01-2010 12:02 AM

I didnt see where the switch was located in your drawing, but if it bypasses all of the factory wiring it should work. Double check your ground also.

Loic 09-01-2010 12:17 AM

the switch is all the way to the top of the drawing

Wesboy 09-01-2010 02:45 AM

Is it possible the back-up globes blew when the fuse popped?

Bobthegod 09-01-2010 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did mine too. I went to Wally world and got some for $18.88 I removed the bulbs from the stock reverse lights and wired the new ones to a relay first them used the stock wire to light'em up just as if they were stock lights. The relay uses power from the battery so the new 55watts lights don't burn up the old stock woring which can't handle the 55 watts of power.

I also plan on putting in a 3 way ON/OFF/ON switch in the near future. The first ON is when you put in reverse the lights come on....OFF is...well OFF lights don't light, the second ON is direct ON so when you want light you get it without being in reverse.

Loic 09-01-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobthegod (Post 753839)
I did mine too. I went to Wally world and got some for $18.88 I removed the bulbs from the stock reverse lights and wired the new ones to a relay first them used the stock wire to light'em up just as if they were stock lights. The relay uses power from the battery so the new 55watts lights don't burn up the old stock woring which can't handle the 55 watts of power.

I also plan on putting in a 3 way ON/OFF/ON switch in the near future. The first ON is when you put in reverse the lights come on....OFF is...well OFF lights don't light, the second ON is direct ON so when you want light you get it without being in reverse.

how would you lay the wiring with the 3 way switch ?

Bobthegod 09-01-2010 04:51 PM

This site will explain it all...... Selectable Backup Lights

Loic 09-01-2010 10:04 PM

I got my light (the add on) to work with the switch. I also disconeted them from the oem light. I looked at the backup light switch but it seems that the neutral switch and back up light are one so I guess I'll leave it alone at least for now

jeepjones 09-02-2010 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loic (Post 754396)
I got my light (the add on) to work with the switch. I also disconeted them from the oem light. I looked at the backup light switch but it seems that the neutral switch and back up light are one so I guess I'll leave it alone at least for now

But where is the relay? The problem is that your new lamps at the rear pull far to many amps that the small 16-18 gauge factory wiring was never design for, and a 2amp fuse is just going to keep popping. It's a recipe for melted wiring and a possible fire. If you want added light to the back you should wire it up separately from the stock wiring using no less than 12-14 gauge wire and hook it up using power from the battery,relay,separate switch and it's own fuse. That way you don't even need the Jeep to be running or even have it in reverse in the case you need light to the rear.