Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Gas cap error / check engine light on (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/gas-cap-error-check-engine-light-on-60599.html)

map 09-03-2010 10:52 PM

Gas cap error / check engine light on

I replaced the fuel cap with a jeep cap, reset computer, error code came back, took it to jeep they tested cap and fuel system everything passed, reset computer, the dealer commented that there is nothing wrong. Error code and check engine light is on again it only took 3 days this time. Any ideas?? Neighbor thinks it is the catalytic converter.

saltwaterwop 09-04-2010 06:54 PM

Did you ask the dealer if there were any codes thrown from the first Check light and what they were for ?

Generally the CE light doesn't just come on without throwing codes unless its near the Christmas holidays.

Walkingstick 09-04-2010 07:09 PM

Mine came on due to bad gas. I corrected this by disconnecting the battery.
Mine had no codes at all. Got three diagnostics done on it.
Try disconnecting it.

iamagolfspaz 09-04-2010 10:23 PM

My TJ had that problem and it took several days worth of on/off cycles to correct.

h2otoo 09-05-2010 07:37 AM

Interesting, my gasscap/ce light came on half way through a tank of gas, cap was fine. A couple of hundred miles later and it still is there. Plan on going to the dealer next week. I did get under the vehicle and check the hoses on the evap canister and all looks fine.

Bob

scottrock 09-05-2010 09:00 AM

There's also the evap canister, ECM & associated hoses forward of the rear axle, drivers side. Have you checked all of that?

h2otoo 09-06-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottrock (Post 759130)
There's also the evap canister, ECM & associated hoses forward of the rear axle, drivers side. Have you checked all of that?

Best as I can tell, all seems as should be. In my case, I am on my second evap canister, thanks to a tree stump. The c/e light was on when I replaces the canister, pulled the battery cable off to clear it, shortly after the "gascap/CE" light came on.

Bob

scottrock 09-07-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2otoo (Post 760255)
Best as I can tell, all seems as should be. In my case, I am on my second evap canister, thanks to a tree stump. The c/e light was on when I replaces the canister, pulled the battery cable off to clear it, shortly after the "gascap/CE" light came on.

Bob

It's my understanding that only a dealer diagnostic can permanently clear the gascap/CE error.

I've been fighting an issue since the install of a skidplate that relocated and flipped the evap can upside down. My attempts at re-orienting the ECM have had mixed results with intermittent "gascap" messages and a CE light.

PITA emissions :9lame:

Redrock-Spyglass 10-03-2010 01:10 AM

I experienced a GASCAP error on the dashboard with a CE. Replaced the gascap with a new $58 Mopar cap from the dealership (I didn't pay the additional $100 to have the cylinder rekeyed to match my ignition key - inserted the original into the new cap). GASCAP error and CE still existed after changing cap. I read the previous posts and disconnected battery for 5 minutes. All errors and CE are now clean.

Note: I mysteriously discharged a 1 year battery. Jumped the battery and recharged. GASCAP error and CE appeared shortly thereafter. I didn't connect the two.. but!!!!!!!!

Don't buy the $58 gas cap (never buy the aftermarket caps!). Just disconnect the battery and see where that gets you. In my case.... the battery disconnect worked like a charm.