Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Wilderness camping. ???? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wilderness-camping-61020.html)

GREEN-MACHINE 09-08-2010 07:02 AM

Wilderness camping. ????

so i got this bright idea to do some wilderness camping next year. found an awesome in the back country of NH.
so other than the basics equipment tent/sleeping bags/ water/cooler/ax/chainsaw to cut dead wood/ first aid/ tools/shovel/ bug spray/what else should i bring. thanks.

VVCG33 09-08-2010 07:07 AM

Your Jeep

BanditDarvel 09-08-2010 07:07 AM

I did a 5 wilderness camp/ride on my atv last year. It was awesome! We rode 450 miles and had a new camp set up every night. We couldn't pack much on the quads so we was really roughing it...lol
Well good luck to you it sure it a lot of fun.

Aaronkushner 09-08-2010 07:10 AM

where in NH?

GREEN-MACHINE 09-08-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaronkushner (Post 762988)
where in NH?

locals asked me not to tell. they want to keep it that way.

Hilldweller 09-08-2010 07:32 AM

Bear spray and an air horn.

daggo66 09-08-2010 07:38 AM

Food!

daggo66 09-08-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE (Post 763015)
locals asked me not to tell. they want to keep it that way.

Sounds like a place you shouldn't be in then.

Hilldweller 09-08-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 763028)
Food!

Good point.

I take this as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lman/002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...arlman/198.jpg

daggo66 09-08-2010 08:05 AM

Also heed any bear warning signs you may come across. Such as this one:

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/v...Attachment.jpg

DougHeffernan 09-08-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Lmfao

JIMBOX 09-08-2010 08:49 AM

:cool: Take a little food and a lotta woman !!

Take a decent firearm and ammo and as a precaution to any four legged danger, have a spray can of ORTHO/ACE WASP-HORNET SPRAY

That'll temporary blind ANYTHING at 20' and it has a very strong/substancial stream flow--works GOOD

I also have my S&W 1911--just in case, but I haven't had to use it while camping !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

yomondo 09-08-2010 09:34 AM

sun screen
fire starters
pocket knife
rope
whistle
flashlights
lantern
stove fuel and cookware, if necessary
tableware (plates, flatware, napkins, etc.)
trowel
toilet paper
map and compass (if you know how to use them)
gps
adequate warm layers of clothing
a decent ground pad
chairs
folding table

bflank 09-08-2010 10:18 AM

A second Jeep... onaccounta you really want options in case the defecation strikes the rotary ventilation device.

silvrevo 09-08-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 763058)

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/v...Attachment.jpg

LOLOLOLOL...

I was going to say some sort of Personal Defense Gun.

Sign also could have said,,

1." You cant out run a Bear,, but you might be able to our run your Friend".

2. " Only camp with fat out of shape friends ".

Foxy 09-08-2010 11:42 AM

Beer!

ParaCAD 09-08-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxy (Post 763338)
Beer!

I second that!!

GREEN-MACHINE 09-08-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilldweller (Post 763021)
bear spray and an air horn.

shotgun.

GREEN-MACHINE 09-08-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 763292)
LOLOLOLOL...

I was going to say some sort of Personal Defense Gun.

Sign also could have said,,

1." You cant out run a Bear,, but you might be able to our run your Friend".

2. " Only camp with fat out of shape friends ".

DAMM now i gotta get my wife over 300 pounds.

Geoff@Bestop 09-08-2010 12:21 PM

Weren't any of you people in the Boy Scouts? Ever do any minimalist camping? You don't need a chainsaw to go camping. You don't need a gun. You don't need to worry about bears in New Hampshire.

I used to work with Outward Bound, and we worked really hard to get people to the point of being able to spend a night in the woods without it being a "big thing." I'm not suggesting that you go with what's in your pockets (although I've done that a lot, and it's a fun challenge). But relax. In this day and age it's hard to get a true wilderness experience. Partly because people with chainsaws cut a cord or two of wood for a campfire.

I'd also suggest that it's possible to walk more than a 100 yards from your Jeep. I know, that's shocking. But it makes for a better wilderness experience.

From the New Hampshire Department of Game:
Quote:

Are black bears dangerous?
Yes. Black bears are capable of killing people, but it is an extremely rare occurrence. The last time someone was killed by a black bear in New Hampshire was 1784.

schnutzy 09-08-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 763386)
Weren't any of you people in the Boy Scouts? Ever do any minimalist camping? You don't need a chainsaw to go camping. You don't need a gun. You don't need to worry about bears in New Hampshire.

I used to work with Outward Bound, and we worked really hard to get people to the point of being able to spend a night in the woods without it being a "big thing." I'm not suggesting that you go with what's in your pockets (although I've done that a lot, and it's a fun challenge). But relax. In this day and age it's hard to get a true wilderness experience. Partly because people with chainsaws cut a cord or two of wood for a campfire.

I'd also suggest that it's possible to walk more than a 100 yards from your Jeep. I know, that's shocking. But it makes for a better wilderness experience.

X2

when i go camping, all my gear fits in my hiking pack. ive lived for a week at a time out of that pack. might weigh 30-40 pounds at most for those trips. and most of that weight is food and water.

all you really need is a tent, sleeping bag(or blanket, depending on the weather) camping stove, a hatchet, small knife, water, food, and cloths that you can layer.
if you are taking the jeep, then some basic tools might be a good idea, but i would have those in there any ways. never know when you might need them whether you are out in the woods, or in the middle of the city.

oh, always cary a first aid kit, that is a must.

ferriolom 09-08-2010 12:33 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6134708_n.jpg

GREEN-MACHINE 09-08-2010 12:40 PM

OK the chainsaw was meant to be a joke. seriously. i could survive on next to nothing but food and water.
the reason i asked the original question is for the wife. she never been "wilderness camping" we always had a travel trailer. i know boring.
heck if were me and the dog, i'de sleep in the back of the jeep.

BanditDarvel 09-08-2010 12:48 PM

There are more black bear attacks then grizzly attacks.

yomondo 09-08-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE (Post 763418)
OK the chainsaw was meant to be a joke.

A chainsaw came in handy for some friends of mine on a recent trail run in the Sierras. Some Canadians will tell you it's an essential part of their wheeling gear.

bobjenkins 09-08-2010 12:50 PM

bring a gun too for the bears and any streakers you might see

N39-W120 09-08-2010 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep... and they taught me well
Attachment 24716

tent, sleeping bag, food, water, stove, fuel, clothing, small first aid kit... About 3 days worth in this pack... room for more too... and of course the LEATHERMAN

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 763386)

schnutzy 09-08-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N39-W120 (Post 763448)
Yep... and they taught me well
Attachment 24716

tent, sleeping bag, food, water, stove, fuel, clothing, small first aid kit... About 3 days worth in this pack... room for more too... and of course the LEATHERMAN

:punk::punk:
makes me want to gear up and head for the woods.

bobjenkins 09-08-2010 12:53 PM

LOL dont forget

THE LEATHERMAN best tool ever, only if you have the wave tho:D

yj-genral 09-08-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE (Post 763418)
OK the chainsaw was meant to be a joke. seriously. i could survive on next to nothing but food and water.
the reason i asked the original question is for the wife. she never been "wilderness camping" we always had a travel trailer. i know boring.
heck if were me and the dog, i'de sleep in the back of the jeep.

well in that case you will need an 8 man tent with blowup air matress, portable toilet, shower, and if you can manage it a power inverter for the hairdryer and blender!