Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Spark plugs

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  kdukes4 
#1 ·
how often should I get my spark plugs changed?

#2 ·
1. You should never "GET" them changed you should do it yourself ;) Seriously, it's very very easy (depending on what year TJ you have)

2. Owners manual recommends every 30,000. Some of this will depend on what type of plug you replace it with. When I bought mine the factory plugs had 50,000 and changing them helped acceleration and gas mileage significantly.

#3 ·
well #1 I was going to do it myself
and #2 Thanks for the help I need to change them cause my acceleration has been way down recently and my gas mileage too. I have also noticed that my jeep is not as loud as it usually Is would the spark plugs cause that too? And also what brand of plugs would u recommend?

Yah and also I don't have an owners manual for my jeep since when I got it it didn't have one. I keep meaning to get one but i haven't found the time to order one

#4 ·
I was just giving you a ribbing. Hope you didn't take it to seriously :)

Here's a thread that helped me
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/spark-plugs-ignition-wires-32268.html

I used the autolite AP985's Jerry recommended and so far they've been great. I'm not sure about the "noise" of your engine, if it will be spark plug related or not. I would think more noise would be related to vacuum but I'm sure someone on here will have a better answer.

Also, owners manual is available online for free. Do a search on this forum for the link.
Good luck!

#6 ·
How often you need to change your plugs depends on what spark plugs are installed and if you have a newer or older ignition system. And newer distributorless 4.0L engines are very fussy about the type of spark plugs they get. Without knowing more about your Jeep and what spark plugs are in it, it's impossible to give a good answer on when they need to be changed. Heck, the right model platinum plugs can last 100K miles. :)

#14 ·
an easy afternoon tune up for the ignition system which will help keep things chirping strong would be replacing plugs, wires, and possibly the rotor and distributor cap too, heck maybe the ignition coil since your jeep has been around for a while. its tough finding brass plated rotors and distributor posts, but if you can get them, well, get them. they don't corrode as fast as the zinc? posts you usually find in napa, auotzone, carquest dist cap.... i had a hard time finding brass plated for my 97 2.5L but i seem to remember the shops have brass for the 4.0 almost forgot, grab a tube of dielectric grease too.. you don't anything expensive for the above stuff, just regular OEM replacement stuff will do the job, i try to stick with napa for all of that stuff, they're products have done well on my engines.

also, i put some sea foam in the tank and through the vacuum system not too long ago.... there are some good write ups on this.... that'll clean her out.

when i had an arc issue with my 2.5L i did the wires and plugs, i went with champion 7034's, they do the job well on that engine.

#12 ·
Lwolf25 said:
Has anyone heard of e3 spark plugs and are they any good? Reviews on jcwhitney show that most people are pretty pleased with them and I was thinking about getting some. Are they a good idea or can somebody recommend some better ones?
Autolite APP985's are what I use, and have already been mentioned. They work well for me on an 04 TJ I6

#16 ·
haha, na its not that difficult of a task to do, just need a screw driver really. dielectric grease ($4 for a bottle) is mostly used to coat metal to metal connections. the grease allows for electric current to pass through it, so while the grease covers the connectors and protects the metal from oxidation and corrosion, it also ensures that the connection basically never shorts out, continuity will be present, as long as everything else doesn't fault. :) ya some use the 8mm's, i got the standard napa wires, $17.99 i think (keep your receipt, they're lifetime guaranteed) and they're basically used by everyone else too. problem with the jeep's engine that most don't want to accept is that these engines aren't really built for the big modifications for significant performance gains, the money spent to try and get the higher mps and hp doesn't justify the costs really.... just throw in a chevy block. anyways, brass is a little more expensive for a cap and rotor, like $4 maybe? total for a cap should be under $20, rotor should be about $15. to replace the cap and rotor, just take out the two screws of the cap and remove, the rotor is right there when you take the cap off... yes, seafoam can be bought basically anywhere like autozone, carquest, napa, search for threads and videos on youtube for this too.... $8. i think the ignition coil is like $30. so that could wait if you wanted... but all that will be under $100, i also suggest using that dielectric grease on all your connections, i.e. between all the fuses/relays/circuits/battery posts, you can find... also, put that grease on the ends of the plugs, and within the wires that connect to the posts of the distributor.... theres a couple threads that will show you which wires and distributor posts will match up with the correct plugs on the engine... orrr just take a picture so you have a reference. GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.